Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2015, 12:32   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
^ Ahem, a rustic 4WD barebones vehicle with seats on a short wheelbase chassis is what was probably meant.
A La Defender 90, barebones?

I would utilize the existing Sumo/Sierra platform for this purpose.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 13:34   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
A La Defender 90, barebones?

I would utilize the existing Sumo/Sierra platform for this purpose.
Well, for cost control an old depreciated platform like Sumo/Sierra/Old Safari would be a good idea, but personally I'd much prefer a shortened Storme/Aria ladderframe simply for the massive ride/handling advantage. The Sumo/Sierra handled like boats!

Better cost control can be achieved by low tech engines. Maybe the 3.0 DICOR lump or even the old 1.9L 483DL with a new CRDI cyl head.

Should squeeze in for just about 5.0~5.5L if Behram Dhabhar Guruji is given a free hand
Old 24th January 2015, 14:01   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Should squeeze in for just about 5.0~5.5L if Behram Dhabhar Guruji is given a free hand
TATAs better not give Sir ji the free hand ... how can you expect expect a 3L engine or 1.9L(even if barebone ) @5L. if wishes were horses.
However , no offence, but somehting on this line would be really fantastic.
Old 24th January 2015, 15:09   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Zest just got launched. (Sub 4m sedan)
Bolt is coming soon. (Premium hatch)
Kite is undergoing road testing. (Compact hatch)
Kite sedan has also been spotted wearing production clothes.(Compact Sub 4m sedan, if there is such a thing! )
Also in the pipeline is the hatchback with codename Pelican, to take on the Alto, and is supposed to have a diesel engine.
And the hatch based Nexon cross over.

All this based on some solid technologies like the new 1.2 Revotron petrol, AMT mated to the 1.3 diesel, a new 800cc diesel etc.

They have been guilty of ignoring every segment in the past. But currently - If the above is not considered a proper product offensive from TATA Motors, I dont know what is!
I agree, they are planning products across the entire spectrum, but my point is about priorities. Would you go after 8% of the market (SUV share of market as of Dec 14) or 50%+24% (hatchback + Sedan) market, especially when you are trying to win back lost sales and market share?

It is in this context I feel developing 2 new SUVs (am hoping this is essentially two versions of a platform) will consume unnecessary levels of bandwidth which can be better used for Kite / Pelican / Nexon / Eagle etc

Bottom line - I would love nothing better than seeing Tata as No1 in India
prashanthyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 15:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
TATAs better not give Sir ji the free hand ... how can you expect expect a 3L engine or 1.9L(even if barebone ) @5L. if wishes were horses.
However , no offence, but somehting on this line would be really fantastic.
Well, wishing ofcourse! But let me state the logic.

The 2.2 VTT motor was designed from a clean sheet, with major inputs from AVL (they charge you an arm and a leg). This engine saw application on the Safari, Storme, Aria and Grande, all of which combined sold in very low volumes. Thus the unit cost of the 2.2 VTT engine is high.

Contrast this with the 1.9L 483DL. Designed in the late 80s, introduced on the original Sumo, it still soldiers on the Winger in 90BHp guise. The Sumo/Sierra/Old Safari/Winger combo have together sold several lacs of copies. Naturally all investment stands depreciated. All that is expected is a new cylinder head with CRDI at a marginal investment.

Similarly the 3.0L DICOR is based on the 407 LCV engine (shows in its NVH also). This torquey lump has been in service for donkeys no of yrs in its basic architecture. Similar arguments on investment depreciation. Since the motor is a mechanically simple unit, shouldn’t be too expensive to produce.
In a nutshell, both motors are expected to be much cheaper than the 2.2 VTT.

Hence my expectation of a sub 5.5 Lac price tag (soft top).
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 19:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Bench mark for a petrol 4WD is Maruti Gypsy for Tata to consider.

Bench mark for a diesel 4WD is Mahindra Thar/Force Gurkha for Tata to consider.

The price/performance and specifications of the above mentioned vehicles is where BD sir should be working upon.
Old 24th January 2015, 20:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

ACIs latest cover says "Tata Reborn" seems they've got some good info on Tata's future plans. They did a similar one for Maruti last year and that had some huge dope about Maruti's future.

A sub-20 lakh SUV based on the Defender would do wonders for Tata. But yes, for that, they need to have proper customer service setup as well.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 23:01   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports, via an exclusive SCOOP, that the new Tata compact SUV (codenamed X104) will look like a mini Evoque!

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-nexon.jpg

Quote:
Tata’s upcoming compact SUV, codenamed X104, will be styled to look “like a mini Evoque” say sources in the company.
The X104 compact SUV is based on the same X1 platform that also underpins the Bolt and the Zest. For that typical SUV look, the wheel arches will be enlarged to accommodate larger 17-inch wheels.
Mechanically, the X104 will also see the debut of Tata’s all-new 1.5-litre diesel motor that develops a good 110bhp, and a new six-speed manual gearbox designed to handle the extra power and torque.
There will be a petrol version as well powered by Tata’s in-house developed, 1.2-litre motor. This all-aluminum, three-cylinder engine is expected to produce around 75bhp.
SOURCE - ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 11:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ACI reports, via an exclusive SCOOP, that the new Tata compact SUV (codenamed X104) will look like a mini Evoque
The pic you have posted is of the Rexon which was a concept only. I doubt if X104 will look like this. At the very least it'll have 4 doors!
Old 12th February 2015, 06:52   #100
BHPian

Contrary to earlier reports it now appears that the Q501/502 will be based on the latest LR Disco Sports, not the outgoing Freelander 2! At the lower end it would compete with the XUV500 and the Fortner at the top end.

Link to original article
Old 13th February 2015, 17:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Last year, we had reported that Tata Motors was rumored to be developing an SUV based on the Land Rover Freelander 2 (L359). Now, there are reports that this new SUV will be based on the same platform as the new Discovery Sport (L550). The L550 platform is a heavily modified derivative of the L359.

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 13th February 2015 at 17:43.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 21:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

Finally opening up of roads for the next national engine. If this news is correct, several other players in the Indian market (including MSIL) would be keen to use this engine for their future offerings.

I am sure FIAT will not make a move towards introducing a new SUV / Car based on 2.0 litre MJD.

Cheers to Tata
Old 14th February 2015, 07:23   #103
BHPian

Why would Tata Motors shun their own 2.2 Litre DICOR engine that is really a gem? It is very refined and gives a decent amount of power and is proven. It has done 95K in my Grande MKII without a single hitch. It is as refined now as it was after the run in period. Every one of my friends who have driven or been a passenger any sort of drive have all been surprised by this engine. Going for the 2.0 MJD would only increase the cost. Probably is lighter than the DICOR. Or may be FIAT is giving them such a good price and long term deal that they have decided to switch. But I will wait for two more years by when I plan to change my Grande MKII.
Old 4th April 2015, 01:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

This is the rendering for Q501 from http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=6597

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-1.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-2.jpg

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-3.jpg
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 02:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This looks like a photoshop on the Hexa concept

Would do wonders if they can actually bring something similar, but not very likely, they will keep drumming the Aria tune!

1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks