Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:20   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think the problem with this company is lethargy. They are absolutely at the tail end of every curve. Everyone launched cheap 5 Lakh sedans and captured the market. Then, Tata launches the Zest. Most of them have already launched renewed versions of their hatchbacks, even Fiat!...
I think TATA has woken up already. The results are pretty amazing too. Though they are late to the party, they have "arrived in style". It needs to be seen how much does it translate to sales though.

Quote:
...Somewhere, they need to get the first-mover advantage....
They do. First diesel AMT!

Quote:
...From a division known for it's SUV credentials, I am not sure why it did / should take that long to pull something together? Yes, they plan to bring in 2015. But we all know how that timeline looks in a Tata project plan...
Frankly, I do NOT know who else will launch a compact SUV before 2016. The ONLY solid news we have now is about the Mahindra CUV and nothing more. So TATA is pretty much on the deadline, though personally I would love to see one quicker than 2016.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 13:45   #62
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors is looking to use inputs from Jaguar Land Rover in its future models.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 13:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
They do. First diesel AMT!
Diesel AMT with a grand total of zero airbags. I think people who want to buy an AMT would also like to have airbags please?
Is the car too small to accomodate the airbags and the AMT together?

Why only an AMT on the mid version? It should have been offered on the top version too
Old 28th August 2014, 14:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Diesel AMT with a grand total of zero airbags. I think people who want to buy an AMT would also like to have airbags please?
Is the car too small to accomodate the airbags and the AMT together?

Why only an AMT on the mid version? It should have been offered on the top version too
Every manufacturers look at their business feasibility and sales forecasting keeping the common people as target than the enthusiasts / safety conscious customers. Unfortunately, in a price sensitive and safety in-sensitive market like India, this positioning makes a lot of sense (for them). For a company who is trying to make up for the losses, they would rather go conservative with such things. There is ONLY a 20% (probable) customers who feel the need for a top end with safety features.

NOT confirmed, but a source says a top end Zest AMT with safety features might hit the market after couple of months. But since I hear the waiting periods are quite high for AMT, they might delay or scrap this plan itself.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th August 2014 at 15:03.
Old 28th August 2014, 17:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
NOT confirmed, but a source says a top end Zest AMT with safety features might hit the market after couple of months. But since I hear the waiting periods are quite high for AMT, they might delay or scrap this plan itself.
This is where maruti takes the cake. They cater for every customer even for the 2% customer they have multiple offerings.

Now, I will wait for a few months and then buy some other car. It may not be an AMT, but we will see. Will I ever return to Tata? Not unless they have another groundbreaking earth shattering product. Which is not every other year. Good product placement can pre empt and avoid losing customers.
Old 28th August 2014, 17:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I will wait for a few months and then buy some other car. It may not be an AMT, but we will see. Will I ever return to Tata?
If not an AMT, then why not Zest manual transmission?
Old 28th August 2014, 17:36   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is where maruti takes the cake. They cater for every customer even for the 2% customer they have multiple offerings..
How?!! Since we are talking about AMT, am gonna pick AMT/AT examples from Maruti. Dzire (petrol) AT comes ONLY in V (mid) trim (with ABS only & No Airbags)! Celerio AMT does NOT come in the top trim either (NO safety features!). And we are talking about two highly successful products from Maruti. Whats so different that TATA has done with respect to Maruti, with their AMT / AT offering?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th August 2014 at 17:42. Reason: Refined the post with additional points.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 20:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tata makes cheap mass market cars while Land Rover on the other hand makes outlandishly expensive luxury cars. Only thing common between the 2 is the reliability of their cars, which is poor .

If they can find a common ground and make a cheap range rover for the Indian market , we can sure as hell forgive them for their poor reliability.
Old 29th August 2014, 00:56   #69
BHPian

Quote:
This is where maruti takes the cake. They cater for every customer even for the 2% customer they have multiple offerings.
Huh??? You've made a point about the lack of a top end AMT, which is fair, but since when did Maruti start fitting your criteria? The only time they have ever had airbags and any form of an auto transmission together for less than or close to 10 lacs was in the erstwhile sx4 automatic.

Maruti has a lot of products on offer - granted but despite that they didn't meet the one criteria you have used to reject the Zest, so, the question is do you now reject Maruti with the same zeal?
da_lowrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 09:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how to quote your posts from the app
I am new to android so please excuse

Yes, Maruti is already rejected maybe with more zeal due to other issues which may not be the topic of this thread!

I didnt realise they didnt offer airbags on top end versions so I take my statement back

I spoke to the tata motors sales guy and told him its possible for us to deal with lack of audio system and alloys etc which can be fitted aftermarket but I cannot get airbags fitted later

His reply was the same. sir very few people think like you so no airbags at the moment!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 09:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the government will legislate making safety features like ABS and Airbags compulsory sooner rather than later and end this dilemma. I believe the greater volumes for these will also help manufacturers bring down the unit costs.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 18:46   #72
Team-BHP Support

The upcoming Tata Q501 and Q502 SUVs are likely to be powered by a Fiat 2.0-litre MultiJet diesel engine.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 18:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why Tata motors is interested in the 2.0L FIAT MJD engine when they already have a 2.2L VariCOR (Which claims an output >15kmpl in 150bhp tune in the Aria).

And, personally, I kindof wouldn't like the trend of mini-SUV's.

In any case, I'm glad FIAT found another engine to sell. Hope they too stay in business, given their bleak looking future.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 16th January 2015 at 19:02.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 00:11   #74
BHPian

Will the Q501/502 have conventional RWD layout or will it go the transverse FWD way for cost control? FCA 2ltr is mostly seen in transverse FWD application. Also does it mean that the positioning will be something like Nexon (5-7 lacs), Q501 (8-11 lacs in the Duster category) and Q502 (12-16 lacs) as Safari replacement and competent vis a vis the Fortuner?

What about 4 wheel drive option, transfer case or AWD.
Old 17th January 2015, 08:21   #75
BHPian

Hope they have come up with a monocoque construction rather than a body on ladder construction. That will ensure far better weight reduction and rigidity leading to better dynamic performance, acceleration and fuel consumption. Looking at the way the XUV500 is doing well in the rally circuits, the monocoque bodies seem to hold very well in tough conditions too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks