Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 10:14   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

I expect basic exterior profile pretty close to Discovery sport with heavily reworked front and rear to show Tata's new design language (humanity blah blah).
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 21:22   #242
Senior - BHPian

This evening I saw a creta sized SUV parked in Whitefield hoskote road(Bangalore). Was in hurry so couldn't even click a pic. Everywhere we see the TATA SUV with discovery shell. But this one just had those camouflage patches on white paint, more like the Mahindra test mules. It definitely wasn't Tivoli(tail lamp design), the design was clean and looked premium. Honestly it looked like evoque.

Obviously it had gone by the time I returned in 20 minutes.

Did anyone else noticed too? Really curious because i keep browsing team-bhp scoops everyday and dont remember seeing this car before

Last edited by rajshenoy : 24th January 2018 at 21:48. Reason: Edited from laptop
Old 25th January 2018, 03:27   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Obviously it had gone by the time I returned in 20 minutes.

Did anyone else noticed too? Really curious because i keep browsing team-bhp scoops everyday and dont remember seeing this car before
I saw it as well. It was inside Global Axis Tech Park in Whitefield. Unfortunately, I had left my phone in my bay and couldn't click any pics. Many people were clicking the pics, so I am sure one or the other will make it online.

It looked premium, and even i found the design similar to Evoque but at the size of Creta.
Old 25th January 2018, 11:54   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I expect basic exterior profile pretty close to Discovery sport with heavily reworked front and rear to show Tata's new design language (humanity blah blah).
I suspect Tata Motors will try and utilize the idle tooling available from the discontinued Land Rover Freelander. If packaged and priced right it can be a very enticing prospect in the Indian market.

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-fl.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2018 at 15:49. Reason: Uploading image as attachment
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:29   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I suspect Tata Motors will try and utilize the idle tooling available from the discontinued Land Rover Freelander. If packaged and priced right it can be a very enticing prospect in the Indian market.
IPR issues ! JLR will not allow dilution of their brand value by giving away such recent designs.

Tata has already used design cues ( like the edge of the bonnet) in Hexa. The new SUV's may have some elements from the LR models. but not much.

On a different note, Chinese copying the designs is a different issue. They play by their rules. Here Tata is contractually bound.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:43   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
If they can do so, why not get the old SWB Defender too? At a lower price point! Please!
Old 25th January 2018, 12:52   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If they can do so, why not get the old SWB Defender too? At a lower price point! Please!
It's an expensive car to make, predominantly hand assembled and mostly aluminum. While it has it's charm and is on most peoples favorite list, way too niche a vehicle for Tata to make, sell and get a profit from.Plus it is unlikely to fare well in any upcoming crash test regulations.

Plus owning one as a day to day drive is not practical or comfortable. City boys who bought Gypsies in their teens would understand. Was the coolest thing to look at, but as a daily drive was horrid!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:38   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IPR issues ! JLR will not allow dilution of their brand value by giving away such recent designs.

Tata has already used design cues ( like the edge of the bonnet) in Hexa. The new SUV's may have some elements from the LR models. but not much.

On a different note, Chinese copying the designs is a different issue. They play by their rules. Here Tata is contractually bound.
Actually no. Tata owns JLR and hence, own all the IP too. Unless there is an inter company agreement restricting use of IP, I dont see this as an issue. On the contrary, given Indian FDI norms, in all likelihood, JLR would have licensed their IP to TML, and structured regular receipt of royalty payments in lieu thereof, to facilitate repatriation of forex to JLR.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 14:01   #249
BHPian

Is this the new Tata SUV or the upcoming Mahindra XUV700 or something from Toyota stable?

Source - Rushlane.com
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-whatsapp-image-20180125-11.29.22-am.jpg  

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-whatsapp-image-20180125-11.29.30-am.jpg  

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-whatsapp-image-20180125-11.29.37-am.jpg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 14:57   #250
Senior - BHPian

Looks land rover-ish ? Also, the ground clearance and light clusters are similar. I am really excited and waiting to see these vehicles undisguised.

But why would it have a KA-04 registration unless if there is something to do with Bosch or other supplier in Bengaluru ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 15:03   #251
BHPian

Toyed around with Photoshop a bit, to me this looks like it is indeed Tata H5 / Q501.

Look at the way exhaust is positioned, it is tapering inwards in all photos spotted with Discovery shell, it is the same in the new photos released by Rushlane.
Also the alloy design is similar to the old test mules, except now it is colored in black.

I may be wrong but this looks like Tata's SUV.

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-new-project.jpg
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 15:41   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Is this the new Tata SUV or the upcoming Mahindra XUV700 or something from Toyota stable?
Great scoop by Rush Lane.

That is a test mule of the Q502 - all-new 7-seater Tata SUV which is the possible (future) Safari replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But why would it have a KA-04 registration unless if there is something to do with Bosch or other supplier in Bengaluru ?
Possibly to test out it's inbuilt Harman system.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th January 2018 at 15:43.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:05   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post

Source - Rushlane.com
Design looks similar to what i saw in Bangalore yesterday but it appeared much smaller. definitely a 5 seater like Jeep compass or Creta. Could be possible because there seem to be 2 variants on offer.

The car I saw was more complete, like how we are seeing the Mahindra U321 mules off late. It felt like final design which is why being covered up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

We know Toyota having manufacturing here in bangalore. Wild guess - Rush ?

Last edited by rajshenoy : 25th January 2018 at 16:07.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 16:18   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Design looks similar to what i saw in Bangalore yesterday.

We know Toyota having manufacturing here in bangalore. Wild guess - Rush ?
What you saw was quite possibly the Q501 test mule.

Another possibilty of the KA plate could be some further fine-tuning at Jayem Auto?
Old 25th January 2018, 16:44   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Another possibilty of the KA plate could be some further fine-tuning at Jayem Auto?
Jayem Auto is in Coimbatore not Bangalore.

They may be testing at Harman or Bosch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks