Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 23:05   #301
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Front grill definitely matched this scoop pic
The front grille definitely is a departure from the rest of the family(Hexa/Nexon).

Also the teaser rear seems to be very different from this render.

I hope Tata have something different than this which looks like a photoshopped XUV with a previous gen Innova grill .I have been waiting for 4 years after I sold my Safari and the Hexa and the Nexon seemed progressive steps leading to a tremendous climax.
Old 31st January 2018, 23:18   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Lets not forget this Tata is 6 to 7 year after the Mahindra XUV 5OO. They have really been asleep for 1 gen .
No they haven't. Aria came out one year before the XUV 5OO and was supposed to do a similar job for them, but for its spectacular failure. Storme came out very close to the launch of XUV, but failed to make an impact as well. Aria was somewhat revived later as the Hexa.

They never really have been 'asleep' in recent times. Just that they didn't taste success till now, prior to the Hexa.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:43   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I don't understand how can a lighter car be less safer?
When you are replacing aluminium with steel but still manage to make a lighter car, something isn't adding up. Besides H5 is not an upgrade or next gen Discovery Sport. It is re engineered to be cheaper.

I am not saying it isn't safe, but I don't expect it to be as safe as what it based on. Nothing wrong considering the fact that we are comparing a luxury car with a cheaper derivative. I am just pointing out the marketing spin to the statement
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 07:02   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
When you are replacing aluminium with steel but still manage to make a lighter car, something isn't adding up. Besides H5 is not an upgrade or next gen Discovery Sport. It is re engineered to be cheaper.
Tata has always had to bear the complaint of making excessively heavy cars. So, the onus was probably on ensuring a lighter car with the use of aluminium. The statement just says that they replaced some members with steel and yet managed to keep the weight at a certain level that was satisfactory. Says nothing about compromise.

As a ballpark figure, aluminum weighs about 50% lesser than that of steel of similar thickness.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:33   #305
BHPian

A car enthusiast mocked up Tata H5 perfectly with the teased images. It looks fabulous. All credit to the guy.

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-0df2b66f809540249e0ed24f430043d0.jpeg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:51   #306
Senior - BHPian

I think Creta diesel 1.6 weigh around 1350 Kg. Tata's new SUV is expected to weigh around 1650 Kg. What is the problem here?
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:08   #307
BHPian

I'm a little surprised about one thing. We've heard about the 2.0 Multijet, but we haven't heard anything about a petrol option. One would assume that, specifically for the 5 seater variant a petrol powered option is good to have, especially in the current scenario. I'd imagine a 4 cylinder 1.6l version of the Tiago engine would work great in such an application, with a turbo charged version for the 7 seat variant. Definitely food for thought.
Old 1st February 2018, 11:30   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think Creta diesel 1.6 weigh around 1350 Kg. Tata's new SUV is expected to weigh around 1650 Kg. What is the problem here?
Using a 2.0-liter engine compared to 1.6
Extra pair of seats
Extra speakers
Usage of steel in some places as reported earlier (Suspension components most likely)

Extra weight is possibly quite justified for what you are getting.
Again all this is speculation and it would best to hold off discussions on specifications until the official launch of the vehicle.

Last edited by NiXTriX2004 : 1st February 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Grammar
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 13:07   #309
BHPian

Tata Motors tease H5 showing its front.

Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs-capture.jpg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:14   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Tata Motors tease H5 showing its front.

Source
Is that the front ? The headlamps ? Looks quite insane if it is so. What is the head unit that they are planning to use ? Eagerly waiting for it to come out in the open at the Expo

I am waiting to see what Tata comes out in the next 1 year. My Storme needs a replacement for sure from being a basic transporter to a jazzed up version. Maybe this one be the One

However barring the Nexon, both Tigor and Hexa seems to have held up to the previous models from a design philosophy. Isnt the Indian market ready to take a different approach to vehicles from the standard boxy unit.

Oh by the way if this is the SUV, is it going to be a moncoque or Body on Frame ? I so much prefer the Body on Frame, but looking at the weight looks like its gonna be the other one.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st February 2018 at 15:42. Reason: Ladder on frame > Body on Frame. Do not use obscure abbreviations. It is a violation of team-bhp rules.
Old 1st February 2018, 18:01   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
I'm a little surprised about one thing. We've heard about the 2.0 Multijet, but we haven't heard anything about a petrol option.
I wont be surprised if these two are again diesel only. The last petrol SUV that Tata launched was way back with the Safari 2.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Is that the front ? The headlamps ? Looks quite insane if it is so.

Oh by the way if this is the SUV, is it going to be a moncoque or Body on Frame ? I so much prefer the Body on Frame, but looking at the weight looks like its gonna be the other one.
Could be LED's, like the new hatch has. Btw this will be a Body on Frame.

Last edited by condor : 1st February 2018 at 18:02.
Old 1st February 2018, 19:40   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw this will be a Body on Frame.
No. It will be monocoque.
Old 1st February 2018, 20:47   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When you are replacing aluminium with steel but still manage to make a lighter car, something isn't adding up.
I am not saying it isn't safe, but I don't expect it to be as safe as what it based on.
Don't forget that this is based on an all-new platform.

The L550 was specifically chosen because of it's lightweight robustness and tensile strength - it's slightly lighter but does not compromise on structural rigidity, which underpins the Discovery Sport. Also, Land Rover has had plenty of inputs in the Q-twins' overall concept, design, overall performance and fine-tuning of the 2.0L MJD under the hood.

Also, let's not forget that the Discovery Sport scored a full five stars in safety by Euro NCAP back in 2014. I expect the Q50x twins to score at least 4 stars when tested, because of the platform and Tata's no-compromise-on-build quality & safety attitude when designing their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
We've heard about the 2.0 Multijet, but we haven't heard anything about a petrol option. One would assume that, specifically for the 5 seater variant a petrol powered option is good to have, especially in the current scenario.
Right now, it's the 2.0L MJD which they are concentrating more on. Petrol demand for the twins might be at a minimum, as per their forecasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Monocoque, with an independent rear suspension.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st February 2018 at 20:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 00:23   #314
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Monocoque, with an independent rear suspension.
Unlikely to be a monocoque. Either has to be body on frame or unibody. A monocoque cannot be tested with a different top hat. And that is exactly what TML have been doing for some time using the Disco Sport top hat.
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:51   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not saying it isn't safe, but I don't expect it to be as safe as what it based on. Nothing wrong considering the fact that we are comparing a luxury car with a cheaper derivative. I am just pointing out the marketing spin to the statement
Firstly I do not know where ACI derives its information from but the Land Rover LR-MS platform (on which the Disco Sport) is based is an all steel chassis. When applied to the Evoque there is use of aluminium body panels. The Disco Sport is a predominantly steel affair.

Weight saving will not be an issue as LR products are over engineered for off road performance. Irrespective of all the aluminium and weight saving focus, Land Rover vehicles are always on the heavy side. For eg a Disco Sport comfortably weighs 350-400 kgs more than a comparable CRV.

Tata's SUV brief on the other hand will be for predominantly urban use (which would be the case for a Disco Sport as well but Land Rover is stubborn about how they engineer SUVs) and weight saving n the LR-MS platform would not be a huge challenge.
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks