Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback

Mod Note: Team-BHP has unveiled the YRA at this link (Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!). Please continue the discussion on the new thread. Thanks!

Maruti Suzuki's bread and butter, sub-4 meter compact car segment could see yet another addition in 2015-16. FinancialExpress reports that India's largest car maker is developing an all-new B+ segment hatchback codenamed YRA. The YRA hatchback's positioning could be above that of the Ritz and the Swift, rivaling that of the next-gen Hyundai i20 and the Honda Jazz hatchbacks.

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-maruti-swift.jpg

Note: The Maruti Suzuki Swift image used in this report is illustrative in nature.

Currently, the Swift is the most expensive hatchback that Maruti Suzuki sells in India. The new hatchback will be a global car model and will be produced in both India as well as Suzuki's European hub, Hungary. However, details about the platform on which the new B+ hatchback will be based remain unknown.

Given the fact that the Ritz is likely to see an all new model in 2015, with the Swift to follow suit in 2017, the new B+ hatchback could use a new platform, in keeping with the overall changes to Maruti's B+ hatchback portfolio. Expect petrol and diesel engines to power the new hatchback.

Maruti Suzuki is developing a new range of turbo diesel engines with capacities ranging from 0.8 liters to 1.6 liters. The car maker is likely to outfit the new B+ segment hatchback with one of the homegrown range of turbo diesel motors. A petrol engine and automatic gearbox combination is another aspect that is likely to be made available as B+ segment hatchbacks usually feature such a combination.

As of now, compact sedans continue to find more takers than premium hatchbacks such as the Hyundai i20 and the Honda Jazz, given the greater snob value of sedans over hatchbacks in India. However, the demand for more expensive B+ hatchbacks is likely to intensify in the coming years, what with Indian car buyers maturing, being exposed to global trends on a higher scale and also having access to higher disposable incomes. From that perspective, Maruti Suzuki's YRA hatchback seems poised to cater to the growing demand for premium B+ segment hatchbacks.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2015 at 17:13. Reason: Adding link to scoop thread!
JayPrashanth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback

Does that mean that Maruti accepts the fact that Swift is not at par with i20? In that case this car will definitely be worth a watch.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 06:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome move from Maruti Suzuki
IMO Honda Jazz is the right car to target in terms of Space/Practicality/Quality, though its 'looks' are not of my liking.

I hope its a sleek (no tall boy please) 4mts long hatchback with 100 BHP petrol and diesel engine

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd October 2013 at 06:38.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well it all in a way depends on how well maruti can design a diesel engine. The one that was being tried out on the swift as reported in the forum seemed crude and not a match for the mjd.

Not only this but even their sx4 replacement depends on that, because if not now, then atleast by 2015 they should outfit the car with an engine bigger than the MJD.

Comming to the hatch, maruti's interior quality levels have gone up of late. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to target i20 and jazz. But then what about price? The swift diesel itself retails close to 8.5 on road. The newer car if coming close to 10 should have a stronger engine or higher space than the swift.

Hope maruti succeeds in their home grown diesel effort. It is essential for them to crack the above 10 lakh rupees market.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:42   #5
BANNED

I think Maruti is very late in their attempts for their own Diesel engine, compact SUV, premium sedan (YL1) and this bigger hatch than Swift. They should have foreseen the demand much earlier.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd October 2013 at 07:44.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Does that mean that Maruti accepts the fact that Swift is not at par with i20? In that case this car will definitely be worth a watch.
Swift was never a direct competition to i20, with less power (diesel), less features and even a lesser price. However - we choose to compare the two since swift is a better car to drive!

With Grand i10 coming almost squarely against Swift, Maruti Suzuki must have realised that they have space to slot in another hatchback above Swift. Also - please note - DZire has come under serious competition lately. Hence they need another product in that price band to also keep the competition checked.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:00   #7
BHPian

This could be the hatch version of the all new SX4 (YL1 sedan)
That should reduce their development costs and time to market.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2013 at 14:55. Reason: Typo
pacman2881 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
We were comparing Swift with i20 just because i10/Ritz were on par and i20/Swift were the models above these two.

Hyundai has filled in the gap between i10 and i20 by launching Grand and ensured in the process that i20 is elevated as a premium hatch. I wouldn't still call a car with an 80PS petrol motor as a premium hatch; but for the diesel version, 90PS is good enough.

By making DZire a sub 4m compact sedan, Maruti effectively downgraded it by a segment. With the launch of Amaze as a direct competitor to Dzire, and a CS version of Grand i10 on the horizon, the new CS segment would be Dzire/Grand CS/Amaze and the corresponding hatchbacks would also enjoy similar status, which caused Swift to be downgraded too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With Grand i10 coming almost squarely against Swift, Maruti Suzuki must have realised that they have space to slot in another hatchback above Swift. Also - please note - DZire has come under serious competition lately. Hence they need another product in that price band to also keep the competition checked.
With SX4 replacement in the pipeline, a hatchback based on the same platform would be sensible from a parts sharing perspective, if they can slot it just under 4m like the i20.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
This is could be the hatch version of the all new SX4 (YL1 sedan)
That should reduce their development costs and time to market.
YL1 is actually based on the Swift platform. So the hatch version is Swift but they could always come up with a slightly bigger hatch on the same platform as well.
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:59   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If Maruti can build a 7-seater UV on the Swift platform, they can very well build a bigger, more premium hatch on the same platform.

I have a feeling that this premium hatchback will be based on the Swift platform itself, whether current or the next-generation (expected in 3 years).

Remember, this is Suzuki. They can teach a miser how to save on pennies. The company is unbelievably cost conscious.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:00   #11
BHPian

The diesel Automatic hatch segment is totally untapped. Maruti could do with a Diesel automatic hatch with this next car. And don't tell me the "there-is-no-demand-for-diesel-auto" stuff! There was no demand for premium hatch until Getz arrived, there was no demand for a hot-hatch until GT TSI came. Maruti with its muscle should do an apple, not a Microsoft

Last edited by veyron_head : 23rd October 2013 at 16:13.
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Maruti could do with a Diesel automatic hatch with this next car.
Interesting thought. Let them first build a diesel engine. Then they can think about working on a new generation automatic transmission. Once these two are done, they can think of mating the engine and gearbox. By the time Maruti does all this, we might be flying around the town like in sci-fi movies instead of using the road. :P
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:04   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember, this is Suzuki. They can teach a miser how to save on pennies.
I was laughing for a long time reading this! This describes why Maruti is popular among Indian common man. And if they can bring a more powerful hatch with good FE, it will be an ideal car for city and highway usage.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

A report on Financial Express claims that the YRA will get a 1.0-litre, turbocharged petrol power plant that puts out 90 bhp and can average 20 km/l. The car is expected to be launched in 2015 and is expected to compete with the Hyundai i20, Honda Jazz and Volkswagen Polo. The car is also likely to restart Maruti's exports to Europe.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 8th September 2014, 15:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki has started testing a premium hatchback. Is it the upcoming YRA?

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks