Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 12:03   #106
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback

The front just looks damn ugly and it looks like somebody in Suzuki thought that they will attach the front of the Swift to the back of the Polo and lo and behold you make a new design out of it!! Also if it's going to be very light car then I seriously think we need to have the crash test results. If their supposed to be 'premium' car Swift fares so badly then we have to just think about the status of their hatches and even the Ertiga and Ciaz. Anyway let's just hope they don't compromise on the safety aspect. It's absolutely important that they don't do so!

Last edited by searacer932 : 15th January 2015 at 12:32.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 13:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I see no issue here at all. A lighter car always doesn't mean it is flimsy or made of the worst material (read cheaper build quality).

Take for example the Ciaz, it is lighter than competition, which is manufactured using 'high tensile strength steel'.
I agree with you, thickness of the material alone will not decide it is a safe car.

I am surprised seeing this comment 'high tensile strength steel' used in Ciaz, so Maruti had achieved weight reduction in many threads without compromising safety. Not sure any specification was shared to confirm this material was superior to existing materials or any breakthrough was achieved in developing this material.

To my understanding car manufacturers use high tensile sheets for car building. The ACE technology mentioned in Honda also use high tensile steel sheet for its car.

Unless we have clear cut technical specification that the tensile strength of the material used is better than existing materials, it is just marketing gimmick.
Old 15th January 2015, 13:09   #108
BHPian

I think the only way to assess the safety properly will be a crash test. Until that is done, everything else will be just speculations.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 14:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I agree with you, thickness of the material alone will not decide it is a safe car.

I am surprised seeing this comment 'high tensile strength steel' used in Ciaz, so Maruti had achieved weight reduction in many threads without compromising safety. Not sure any specification was shared to confirm this material was superior to existing materials or any breakthrough was achieved in developing this material.

Unless we have clear cut technical specification that the tensile strength of the material used is better than existing materials, it is just marketing gimmick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Boron steel has been brought up in a few Team-BHP discussions on the Fiesta. In short, it is a stronger/lighter and more expensive steel. Therefore, this ultra-high strength material has been used selectively in specific areas; namely around the A and B pillars and the lower rails. Despite this, the Fiesta weighs in at a significant 1217 Kgs (semi-official figure).
This was first started by Ford. No questions were raised then. It is explicitly mentioned in Ciaz's website that the car is built using High Tensile Steel.

It was called Boron Steel by Ford I guess.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 15th January 2015 at 14:17.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 16:40   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
This was first started by Ford. No questions were raised then. It is explicitly mentioned in Ciaz's website that the car is built using High Tensile Steel.

It was called Boron Steel by Ford I guess.
I have read about Boron steel. Steel coated with boron, it is very strong but light in weight. It has been adapted for car manufacturing in recent time. Apart from Ford many other manufacturers use Boron steel if not completely but in parts like B-Pillar, roll over bars etc. Few other models are Ford Fusion, Taurus, Volvo XC90, Volkswagen Passat and so on.

But other manufacturers (European and American) still use higher thickness for their cars. The design of Japanese manufacturers are that they always user thinner sheet. I am not questioning the design concept of Maruti or Honda. My point is that it is not as though new material has resulted in this thickness or weight reduction.
Old 15th January 2015, 16:53   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here's a simple photoshop work with the Ciaz headlight. Looks a lot more pleasing to my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Once word for the photoshop - Brilliant! Send it to Maruti, man!
Brilliant work really. And more importantly much better thinking than Maruti. Like Anurag says, do send it to Maruti. You never know your contribution can avoid a quirky looking car on our roads and moreover transform it into a good looking car.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 21:17   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I have read about Boron steel.
I am not questioning the design concept of Maruti or Honda. My point is that it is not as though new material has resulted in this thickness or weight reduction.
Like you have mentioned, the use of Boron steel is useful in keeping the weight low. And inherently Japanese cars are lighter than their European counterparts & the use of this new steel might have helped them save more weight compared to the older generation cars.

As long as it is structurally sound, I don't think it should be a problem as to how much the car weighs.
Old 15th January 2015, 22:03   #113
BHPian

This is what a Ciaz based hatch would have looked like
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-marutiyraciazhatchrendering.jpg  

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-marutiyrarearciazhatchrendering.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:11   #114
BHPian

if this would have launched, then it would taken quite a quite out of Ciaz's sales me thinks.
Old 30th January 2015, 12:14   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki testing the YRA with K12C. YRA will commence production by the end of 2015 and this hatchback will be exported to the European market from India

Maruti's Premium hatch YRA are being undergoing testing was with the 1.2-litre K12C engine, which is the new Dual-Jet engines from Suzuki. These engines produce about 90bhp of power. This engine has better torque at low engine speeds making it more easier to drive in city and at the same time even increasing its fuel efficiency

The second engine on offer will be the recently developed Suzuki’s 1.5-litre diesel engine. This is a four-cylinder engine and the two-cylinder version of this engine will be used to power the Celerio diesel and Maruti Suzuki’s LCV Super Carry

http://motoroctane.com/news/8469-mar...k12c-confirmed

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th January 2015 at 12:34.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

The YRA could be shown to public on March 03, 2015 :
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502068...f-geneva-debut

It would be interesting to see K12C which is rumored to have turbo charged K12 motor.

Article :

Quote:

Suzuki has released the first teaser images for the iK-2 and iM-4 concepts that will be unveiled during the 2015 Geneva Motor Show in March this year.
Starting with the iK-2, the model is “an ideal compact sized car, developed with an innovative theme of “Harmonized Force”, as the producer explains. Judging by the teaser image, it will be a C-segment hatch.
The iM-4 on the other side appears to be a mini-SUV and Suzuki says it will feature a “compact 4x4 DNA” and new technologies, as well as “distinctive styling that will give real inspiration to drivers”.
The two concept cars will be fully revealed during the company’s press conference in Geneva, scheduled for March 3 at 11:15 am.
Old 20th February 2015, 14:50   #117
BANNED

Source: Zauba

YRA is being tested with K12M, K10C and K12C engines.

K12M (from Swift) may be for India.
K10C and K12C? Since they are LHD, those may be for overseas markets.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-yra.jpg  

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-yra2.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2015, 13:27   #118
Team-BHP Support

An image of the Suzuki iK-2 concept (Maruti YRA) has been leaked on the internet ahead of the car's global debut at the Geneva Motor Show.

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-ik2.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: suzukicars
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:36   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

YRA hatchback is likely to be offered with two engine options. One is the K10C and the other is the K12C. The K10C will be offered with an option of manual and automatic transmission,

While the K12C will be either the sports version with a new 1.2-litre turbocharged engine, or it will be the DualJet engine.

The 1.0-litre engine is mostly the new turbo petrol from Suzuki and it is derived from the current K-Series engine. From our sources, what we understand is that be Maruti Suzuki has been testing the YRA/iK-2 with K10C (manual and automatic), while even the K12C has been tested with a manual transmission.

The YRA (iK-2) is due to be launched in 2016 in India.

http://motoroctane.com/news/9645-suz...omatic-not-amt

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd March 2015 at 17:37.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:20   #120
BHPian

Very intersting design. I find this is somewhat similar to 2016 Nissan Maxima concept. I can see some similar design cues overall. . The Air dams, sweep lines on the sides, the overall hang etc look somewhat similar between the two.

Rumour: Maruti Suzuki developing YRA B+ segment hatchback-2016_nissan_maxima_teaser_01.jpg
rajeshsundaram is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks