Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2004, 17:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Chevrolet SRV Launced

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to own one of these!

The minor changes to the front end and interior look great (those lights look like they are from a Ford Puma!) and the rear section looks amazing as well.

Would this ever be a possibility for India? Optra hatch to take on, or should I say take over the premium hatchback segment?

Seeing that the base 1.6 Optra now sells for 7.5 lakhs (with discounts), maybe the hatchback variant could max out at 6.8 lakhs or so with the base models starting from 5.8 or 6. That is Getz CRDi territory, but this car is far ahead in all areas.

For that money you get the interior space of the Optra as well as the great looks.

Rt
Old 20th September 2004, 18:02   #2
BHPian

dude i'd buy one without thinking twice
Old 20th September 2004, 18:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

naaah.. i wouldnt buy it....it just doesnt appeal to me, would prefer the base 1.6 rather than this
Old 20th September 2004, 18:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

looks really cool man
Old 20th September 2004, 19:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks really good!! And going by rtech's cost calculations.....it may do very well here in India!
Old 20th September 2004, 23:08   #6
BHPian

I've been thinking about an Optra Station Wagon/ Estate for some time now... Maybe a few of you gifted types can post a photochop of that... (ok, i'm still tryin' and getting nowhere!)

Old 20th September 2004, 23:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks good enough.Like the front look of the car.
Old 3rd September 2005, 14:27   #8
BHPian

India's first big hatch

No, it's not the Golf!

Source : The September 2005 issue of Autocar India, page 25.

Chevrolet India is all ready to introduce a hatchback version of the Optra by Diwali. The price is expected to be Rs. 70,000 cheaper than the Optra sedan, which still makes it more expensive than the Honda City. The interiors of the car will be identical to and equally spacious as the Optra sedan, with the exception of a smaller boot (it is a hatch, after all). The hatch has a redesigned sporty looking front, which looks cute, not arrogant like the corporate grille of the new Optra sedans (NY edition et al). The rear looks pretty sweet too, with Alfa Romeo style tail lamps.

With the Optra sedan weighing in at 1250 kg, the hatch would probably weigh around 1100 to 1150kg. With a 104 bhp 1.6L engine, we are looking at performance marginally better than that of the Swift, and certainly not in the range of the Fusion or the Palio 1.6GTX. On the other hand, this is a bigger, more spacious and comfortable car. ACI reports the new Optra gives 9.5kmpl in the city, and 14+ on the highway. So the hatch should give around 10kmpl in the city.

The 1.6 engine is for sure, the 1.8 also possible if less likely. At 70K less than the Optra sedan, we are looking at Ford Fusion territory pricewise, and we all know how well THAT sells. I personally don't think an Optra hatch will do any better, however it still makes a good buy for hatch enthusiasts and those who don't like boots (hey wait, aren't those two the same? ).

Last edited by johnjacob : 3rd September 2005 at 14:31.
Old 3rd September 2005, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

John, you're forgetting, theoretically, the Accent Viva and the Skoda Octavia are both hatches. They face no sales problems!

Seems like the Optra hatch is gunning for the Hyundai.
Old 3rd September 2005, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is it a proper hatchback? or something like the accent viva? I dont expect it to sell if its turned into a true hatchback...even if its 70k cheaper than the optra...thats still a hell lot of money for a hatchback...but if its something on the lines of the viva...then it has a chance...

Drifter
Old 3rd September 2005, 14:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Is it a proper hatchback? or something like the accent viva?
From the picture in the magazine, it looks like a proper hatchback.

v1p3r, you are right, the Octy and the Viva are both technically hatches. But they LOOK like sedans which is why they sell reasonably well. The Optra hatch looks like a hatch, which is why I don't think it will sell that well here (I might buy one, though, if my Swift doesn't come before December this year).

On the other hand, it may open up an all-new market segment!
Old 3rd September 2005, 15:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a proper hatchback? or something like the accent viva?
viva and the octavia are notchbacks...
the Optra5 (as it is called in north america) is a genuine hatch back..name optra 5 says 5 door hence 4 +1 doors...
i have seen it looks pretty neat...

Quote:
At 70K less than the Optra sedan, we are looking at Ford Fusion territory pricewise
70 000 below the current optra makes it cheaper than the NHC ,fusion, fully loaded accents /vivas and octy's ..
the car is still of the same size ,same engine..i'd say its a pretty competetive price..
Old 3rd September 2005, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well its a complete hatch something like the Palio or say even the Getz but its surely not going to set the sales chart on fire since at that price people would prefer a bigger, cheaper and IIItimes car of the Year. The New Honda City. By the time GM lauch it the New New Honda City will be here. Checkmate GM from Honda b@by..
Old 3rd September 2005, 15:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
bigger, cheaper and IIItimes car of the Year. The New Honda City.
Cheaper - marginally maybe (actually, how much does the base Optra cost and how much does the base NHC cost - that'll give us some base for comparison here)?

Bigger - certainly not. The NHC may be longer overall, but the Optra hatch will be more spacious inside. The Optra hatch and sedan are identical inside.

Anyway, the NHC and the Optra hatch are not competitors. Even if Honda released the Jazz hatch here, they still wouldn't be competitors, since the Jazz is in the supermini segment (think Polo, Fabia, Fiesta, Getz, Aveo, Swift) whereas the Optra is in same segment as the Golf, Focus, Opel Astra, Fiat Punto and Peugeot 307.
Old 3rd September 2005, 16:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(actually, how much does the base Optra cost and how much does the base NHC cost - that'll give us some base for comparison here)?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 Base - 8.70(Mumbai)

Honda City 1.5 Exi - Rs.688,409(Delhi) and 7.55 Mumbai

Source http://www.whatahonda.com/city/ownacity/prices.asp

ACI

All prices On Road.
Bigger i mean that it has a boot in it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks