Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:03   #811
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Removing it to save 45000 bucks is really foolish in my book.
Agreed. Essentially Tata Motors did the right thing but in the wrong manner.
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:31   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why would you compare it with a Duster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The price looks exactly same as the old Storme pricing so with the feature cuts like rear disc/ABS in the Lx, the Lx is definetly not VFM. So what exactly are you referring to in terms of more VFM ?

From a pricing perspective the Duster 110ps might overlap with the Storme but the buyer profile is different. So no pt comparing with the Duster.

This "rear wheel on the trunk" thingie has been discussed to death now !
For many people who buys cars just for the sake of having SUV or a big car - the cost cut though with removal of essential features doesn't really matters. So when someone like that who has around 10-11 lacs to spend and wants to buy an 'SUV'(I hope I am able to convey what I mean), simply goes for the cheapest basic model without even knowing what ABS etc means.

So in that case if for 10-11 lacs out of duster/safari - the base safety feature less variant of Safari will be bought.
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:38   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Agreed. Essentially Tata Motors did the right thing but in the wrong manner.
But what else non-essential thing costing 50K would they have removed?

The Storme is frankly already so barebones compared to the competition that everything inside it is very basic essentials that most small budget hatchbacks would be expected to have.

In fact the LX already did not have a music system, rear wiper, fog lights, clock (!), adjustable driver seat, front seat arm rests, and roof AC. That there itself is over a lac saved over the EX.

What else can they remove?

Power windows?

Non metallic flat paint? Non painted side skirt cladding?

Floor boards?

AC and Power Steering not likely.

Could the above add up to 50K? I definitely think so.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:59   #814
Senior - BHPian

@Sachin - the old Storme Lx was also launched at 9.95lakhs - This one at 9.99 lakhs. So not sure how you arrived at the 45k price cut ?
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:06   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
@Sachin - the old Storme Lx was also launched at 9.95lakhs - This one at 9.99 lakhs. So not sure how you arrived at the 45k price cut ?
Please refer the screenshots on the previous page.

The LX was launched at 9.95 L but I guess it breached the 10L mark during subsequently price revisions.
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:14   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The LX was launched at 9.95 L but I guess it breached the 10L mark during subsequently price revisions.
The LX does not come under 10L ex-showroom in all cities. For eg, in Pune it's 10.17L, in Mumbai it's 10.42L, Bhopal 10.28L, Cochin 10.06L etc. So the excise duty benefit becomes null and void here.

In any case, I agree with ebonho - skipping the discs + ABS from the LX was a bad decision.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd June 2015 at 17:15.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:22   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ok - i was comparing launch prices. I agree price went above 10L mark during the EXCISE DUTY INCREASE and I paid higher taxes due to this when i bought the beast in August 2013 but subsequently I thought when the duty structure was rationalised prices went back below 10L ( but I may be wrong ).

nevertheless, the Lx loses some must haves like others have mentioned ( including those silly seats at the last row which have come handy when we've had to carry around some kids )
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:34   #818
BHPian

Am eagerly waiting for the official T-BHP review!
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:21   #819
Senior - BHPian

Lets understand how the average Indian car buyer thinks. What is the largest selling Scorpio model? That is the one with the grey cladding, no wipers, no abs, no disk breaks, the underpowered M2Cdr engine. So Tata is clearly gunning for that market and IMO it makes sense to target the largest segment of the pie.
There are too many people on this very forum, who have a giant wishlist of goodies, they expect, however are not ready to pay for the same. And if as Indians we are OK with having 4 power windows and no ABS disk breaks, why should a manufacturer not oblige?
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:16   #820
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
What is the largest selling Scorpio model? That is the one with the grey cladding, no wipers, no abs, no disk breaks, the underpowered M2Cdr engine.
Source please.
BTW, it does come with wipers.

Quote:
So Tata is clearly gunning for that market and IMO it makes sense to target the largest segment of the pie.
I do see a few occasional M2Cdr Scorpio variants with yellow boards though. I don’t see Storme entering there at all.

The M2Cdr Scorpio is 7/9 seater and is about Rs 1.30 Lac cheaper [Ex.show] than the Storme Lx which again can seat only 5. No comparison there.

Heck, even the Scorpio S4+ which comes with airbags + ABS/EBD is still cheaper than a Storme Lx by around Rs. 25-30 k.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:30   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Source please.
BTW, it does come with wipers.

I do see a few occasional M2Cdr Scorpio variants with yellow boards though. I don’t see Storme entering there at all.

The M2Cdr Scorpio is 7/9 seater and is about Rs 1.30 Lac cheaper [Ex.show] than the Storme Lx which again can seat only 5. No comparison there.

Heck, even the Scorpio S4+ which comes with airbags + ABS/EBD is still cheaper than a Storme Lx by around Rs. 25-30 k.
Thanks.. I meant the rear wiper
You highlighted the problem with Tata motor's thinking. At the lower end they are trying to compete with the base Scorpio with the Sumo and earlier the Grande, at the same time they wanted to undercut/compete with the Bolero with the Sumo again.
They thought the Aria would take care of the Innova, the Xylo and the Xuv, with the Storme/Safari competing with I don't know what.

In either case, their flawed marketing and positioning strategies have led them to the current hole they are in.

IMO they lost the plot when they had a new platform in the Grande. When they wanted to compete with the Scorpio they should have targeted the lower end rural audience or cab operators and jazzed it up with some beefy body cladding and chrome bling, instead they thought they can provide with a sedan alternative which flopped.
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:02   #822
M35
BHPian

Quote:
When they wanted to compete with the Scorpio they should have targeted the lower end rural audience or cab operators and jazzed it up with some beefy body cladding and chrome bling, instead they thought they can provide with a sedan alternative which flopped.
Neither any chrome work nor any such bling you are talking about would have saved Storme, any vehicle for that matter.
The key behind the success of the competition/ failure of Storme is that, to what extend the vehicle in question, commands the “value add for the price ”, yes I don’t mean any bling or chrome here.
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:14   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Neither any chrome work nor any such bling you are talking about would have saved Storme, any vehicle for that matter.
The key behind the success of the competition/ failure of Storme is that, to what extend the vehicle in question, commands the “value add for the price ”, yes I don’t mean any bling
I was speaking of the Grande and not Storme. Grande IMO had everything needed to succeed barring the funny shape. It didn't succeed because Tata compared it to a sedan and not a low end Scorpio or Bolero. Value for price is perception, which is based on positioning and created needs. People are not buying Tata on the perception that they are niggle ridden and after sales is poor. This is an unwanted perception created by Tata themselves. Pricing cheaper will not help as much as positioning each product right and heavy advertising on improved quality and after sales... la Cadbury post the worm incident
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:42   #824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
People are not buying Tata on the perception that they are niggle ridden and after sales is poor. This is an unwanted perception created by Tata themselves.

And why would Tata do that?
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:11   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

And why would Tata do that?
I guess he only meant that Tata could have dealt with the erring dealers and ASS a little more severely and not end up creating this terrible customer support image that they currently have.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks