Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 22:35   #751
BHPian

I think most of us including the marketing guys at TM are reading this wrong. Storme is not a volume builder for TM. Scorpio and XUV are for Mahindra. Storme does not need to sell 3000 plus per month.
The incremental changes done by TM for this upgrade have been lauded by some automotive journalists. Let's not forget that TM has improved the engine and drivability. Mahindra has done nothing of the sort for the XUV. More gizmos more playthings in the cabin, new headlights is all that the XUV is getting. Yes that's why the mass SUV buyer goes for a Mahindra product. But I don't thing Storme needs to take on the XUV head on. Or rather it shouldn't. Its strengths lie elsewhere.
The marketing guys at TM need to recognize this and support this. Marketing is not always about building numbers. It can also be about building a strong niche, especially when the product ethos demands that.
My disappointment therefore is not with the product development effort as much as it is with the marketing effort. Unfortunately for Tata Motors, customer perceptions and satisfaction are a result of both efforts.
Old 26th May 2015, 23:00   #752
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Storme does not "need" to sell in big numbers ? I would tend to disagree with that.

Storme is not a niche product. It is an SUV just like any other in the market. And it sells for exactly the same amount of money as well. There is no reason why TM will not want Storme to sell in big numbers. As of now, TM is not sitting on a huge pile of money from selling the other models so that they can pass this model off as a lifestyle or niche vehicle. (I am not talking about JLR here.) And more over, a niche vehicle commands premium in the market and that is exactly what makes it niche. E.g. Royal Enfield. Do you think RE costs so much to manufacture ? Not at all, but they still have a waiting period and people are ready to pay for it. That is what i call a niche product and some clever marketing.

Safari has neither the appeal for a niche vehicle (for the mass market) nor a smart marketing team behind it. Ask any average person what he thinks of the XUV and he will have an opinion on his own. Ask the same guy about Storme and he will say "Well, I don't know of anybody who has one. But I have heard that it has a lot of problems. Stay away." Bad publicity has already gone deep into the minds of average people who have the potential to buy these cars. So what to do with such cars ? Is there a point in continuing to sell them ? Who will buy this, except for hardcore fans and a few enthusiasts like those we have in this forum ?

I am not saying that these vehicles are inferior to the competition. I personally felt the Storme to be much much better on road than the XUV. But the mass market does not think so. And that is exactly where the money should come from. If they reject it, move on and get another product.

Coming back to the face-lift, I did not like the new interior theme. That silver strip running through the entire breadth of the dashboard does not look good in pictures.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 26th May 2015 at 23:20.
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:47   #753
BHPian

I wonder why do people have these pre-conceived notions about staying away from tata. Is it only to do with our whimsical behaviour ? I beg to disagree. Its actually the reluctant attitude of tata manufacturers as well as after-sales people which is to be blamed here. If we let bygones be bygones, what does it take to come up with a market-topper? A solid engineered product (which storme always was) supported by an equally competent and enthusiastic after sales service and probably an ear to listen to the customer woes and feedback. That is it! It can still turn the sales charts around because perceptions change too, provided tata people give us all some good reasons to alter them in their favour.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 10:37   #754
BHPian

Comparing Safari to XUV500 is a complete no no. A buyer considering Safari and XUV500 has got one of his options completely wrong. If looking for a big family city vehicle then an MUV (Innova) or Crossover (XUV, Aria) make sense. Safari would be a bad choice in this case. However, for somebody considering a highway cruiser with good off-road capabilities Safari is one of the few options in the sub 20L segment.

It would be a cold day in hell when I consider an XUV500. But the top model costing nearly 15L (Ex-SR) with stripped features, it doesn't seem like VFM anymore. I don't want XUV500 gizmos, but when a vehicle costs more than 18L (OR) its basic features list has to be updated. Instead of adding new features they've stripped some existing ones which is inexplicably poor product development effort. I can get all these features after-market by spending another few Lacs, but the cost keeps creeping closer to SUVs in a higher segment which are engineering wise and features wise light-years ahead (say Pajero Sport). Over the years I've spent a lot of money (sometimes 80k-125k annually); and hours maintaining and troubleshooting my Safari myself because of useless TASS. But I've never regretted my purchase. Now this half hearted facelift effort makes me wonder where this product is headed.
Old 27th May 2015, 12:37   #755
BHPian

@param22k, I test drove xuv and safari storme in ncr traffic and somehow I was more comfortable in a storme, even manoeuvring this beast was easier in my opinion. how is it bad decision if I wish to consider it for city usage (personal and family both)?
Old 27th May 2015, 12:37   #756
BHPian

Just checked out the revised Storme in Bangalore. It's a sorry state of affairs, really. Though better than the pre-facelift model, still not up to the mark in terms of design and execution. Worse still, it seems nobody wants to sell this car and it exists because of some unknown compulsions!

The number of posts in this thread vis-a-vis number of stormes sold is a mirror to the fact that what the Storme could have been and what it is. Enough said.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:35   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
But the top model costing nearly 15L (Ex-SR) with stripped features, it doesn't seem like VFM anymore. I don't want XUV500 gizmos, but when a vehicle costs more than 18L (OR) its basic features list has to be updated. Instead of adding new features they've stripped some existing ones which is inexplicably poor product development effort.
Which features have been stripped in the VX? Are you talking about leather seats? clock? I thought the rest was more of an upgrade....
Old 28th May 2015, 09:51   #758
Team-BHP Support

Buyers who know what they are buying, it should be easy to choose.

I personally do not think XUV is a direct competitor to the Storme, but mass car buying public doesn't think so. Because most won't know whether they are buying a monocoque or ladder on frame & the merits/demerits of it.

But XUV seems to be working and working good for the public, hence the sales.

And few need to understand as to why Tata is bad mouthed. Storme is more car per car, else instead of S10 4WD, I would have a 4X4 Storme parked in my garage.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:01   #759
BHPian

I completely agree. Its the vx Storme 4x4 which will find its way to my garage. My grouse is with TM management where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:04   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And few need to understand as to why Tata is bad mouthed. Storme is more car per car, else instead of S10 4WD, I would have a 4X4 Storme parked in my garage.
Could not comprehend this last part. You understand that storme is more car per car and still you went for scorpio?

My family is dead against getting a storme now more than ever. I had been brain-washing them off late, telling them the fixes it would be coming with and that the TATA has been improving blah blah. They were disheartened to read about the facelift and last straw was a visit to a dealer after one user got the new storme home. The dealer had absolutely no clue that the deliveries has started too. He had not got the display vehicle or even a brochure yet . My wife looked at me with a stare filled with disappointment and a silent "REALLY? " . Guess I will have to let go of this teenage dream of owning a safari at least for now and hope that TM pulls up its socks soon, start taking the customers feedback and get their ASS on track. May be the new suv's tata has been planning with land rover turn out to be a different deal and I would love to be part of the family.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th May 2015 at 10:20. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:49   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
The number of posts in this thread vis-a-vis number of stormes sold is a mirror to the fact that what the Storme could have been and what it is. Enough said.
If the number of posts on a forum prior to launch of a new vehicle (be it two or four wheeler) were anywhere close to an accurate barometer of final sales, then

1) A lot of people in the auto industry would be out of a job

2) Forum owners would be raking it in

3) Nearly every vehicle with huge pre-launch threads would be selling in the tens of thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Could not comprehend this last part. You understand that storme is more car per car and still you went for scorpio?
He's said it more than a few times. Where he lives, Tata's service, spares and support presence is less than enthusing.

Quote:
Guess I will have to let go of this teenage dream of owning a safari at least for now and hope that TM pulls up its socks soon, start taking the customers feedback and get their ASS on track. May be the new suv's tata has been planning with land rover turn out to be a different deal and I would love to be part of the family.
That's sad. What's missing that you were looking (and waiting) for? What are the alternatives now.

Most importantly, what happens to your Team BHP handle now?
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:22   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If the number of posts on a forum prior to launch of a new vehicle (be it two or four wheeler) were anywhere close to an accurate barometer of final sales, then

1) A lot of people in the auto industry would be out of a job

2) Forum owners would be raking it in

3) Nearly every vehicle with huge pre-launch threads would be selling in the tens of thousands
All I meant was, Safari is a nameplate which evokes emotions in a lot of people. In general there is a lot of interest in the vehicle; however, the same is not translating in to sales, which is sad! I myself want to own a Safari (have been a fan since its launch in the 90's) but just can't convince myself to put my money on one.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:27   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
All I meant was, Safari is a nameplate which evokes emotions in a lot of people. In general there is a lot of interest in the vehicle; however, the same is not translating in to sales, which is sad! I myself want to own a Safari (have been a fan since its launch in the 90's) but just can't convince myself to put my money on one.
Almost every owner of a Safari wanted to own a Safari, and only a Safari.

Well knowing what its issues were.

Very similar to the older Bullets.

And I for one sincerely hope that unlike Royal Enfield, Tata Motors does not chase sales and mutate the Safari to a point where its not a Safari any longer.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th May 2015 at 12:32.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:36   #764
BHPian

@ebonho, bro dont make it more difficult for me than it already is . I indeed was expecting more out of this facelift. wanted a slightly better headroom on the last seats for those once in a week kinda short city excursions with family. Could have given that a miss too but I hoping against hopes that EX variant would come up with two airbags at least. I dont have the budget to go for VX for sure and I see no reason why the mid variant would not offer the airbags despite costing around 13.5 OTR. This was actually the deal breaker. Although I will accept it unabashedly that my heart will skip a beat almost always whenever I am going to see it on road. Hence, the handle stays the same. Storme has only taken a break, wont die off till I own one. ONE DAY (sigh)
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:40   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My family is dead against getting a storme now more than ever. I had been brain-washing them off late, telling them the fixes it would be coming with and that the TATA has been improving blah blah. They were disheartened to read about the facelift and last straw was a visit to a dealer after one user got the new storme home. The dealer had absolutely no clue that the deliveries has started too. He had not got the display vehicle or even a brochure yet . My wife looked at me with a stare filled with disappointment and a silent "REALLY? " . Guess I will have to let go of this teenage dream of owning a safari at least for now and hope that TM pulls up its socks soon, start taking the customers feedback and get their ASS on track. May be the new suv's tata has been planning with land rover turn out to be a different deal and I would love to be part of the family.
It feel they are my words from your keypad. My wife finally agreed but only after a test drive. In past 3 weeks I registered thrice on the Storme website, got a call too from their call center but the test drive never happened. This gave another weapon to my wife who said that if they are not interested in selling how will they give you any service?

I actually do not need to change my car. It was my dream to own a Safari. Now, I guess I will keep my swift for a couple of years more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks