Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 07:59   #616
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

One of my favourite colours, the Sardinia red has been discontinued according to the brochure.

I also hoped we would get cruise control and an audio system with built in screen like the zest..disappointed.

Hope to see these along with an auto transmission in the upcoming Hexa. Wish Tata would not make mistakes with the pricing.

The bashing the company gets in this thread itself is enough to send buyers to other competitor brands.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 08:20   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
One of my favourite colours, the Sardinia red has been discontinued according to the brochure.

I also hoped we would get cruise control and an audio system with built in screen like the zest..disappointed.

Hope to see these along with an auto transmission in the upcoming Hexa. Wish Tata would not make mistakes with the pricing.

The bashing the company gets in this thread itself is enough to send buyers to other competitor brands.
Sardina red and that real earth color were not available on the Storme when I bought mine last year, the only colors they were producing were pearl white, that grey black and the brown and silver. They have been shrinking and cost cutting the whole of last year, I did'nt get leather seats, music system, cargo net and even an alloy spare in my 2014 VX!!, the music system, leather seats were available though on the explorer kit which I bought.
Old 22nd April 2015, 08:23   #618
M35
BHPian

• Though the silver is a bit flashy, I thought the centre console now looks decent and well put together. Though not anything close to contemporary, looks well integrated in pictures. For me it is more matured and ‘neutral’ than that in the NG Scorpio.
  • I get a feeling the all black interiors with those silver accents will look classy in real.
  • I can definitely switch on and off the head lamps and wipers etc myself.
  • ACC and a MID+NAV would be missed and definitely not the likes of cruise control etc.
  • Now what I want is, those mechanical updates that this vehicle comes with is all well put together and that the vehicle doesn't have to stay at the ASC to get that ‘tight’ feeling from inside, after every trip I make with it.
Definitely the VX 4x4 looks good to replace my Scorpio, if priced at around 14.5 L on-road in Kerala.

And then I saw this : 2015 Tata Safari Facelift Starts At Rs. 9.99 Lakhs

Last edited by M35 : 22nd April 2015 at 08:25. Reason: spell check
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:55   #619
BHPian

Well, well. I was hoping that the changes would be more significant than what was being discussed, but after seeing the brochure in this thread, those thoughts can rest in peace.

So to summarize the changes are as follows:
- BHP: 150 ps - Was expecting the 160 bhp and 400 NM; would have been better. But I guess TATA want to launch that in the HEXA first.
- Self adjusting clutch - After seeing the YouTube video, this seems to be a nice change
- Increase in fuel tank capacity - Definitely good
- Flip key - Don't care much for this one.
- Harman music system - Most certainly good. But then to think Storme was the ONLY one of those 15+ lacs products which did not have a decent music system which was comparable to the competition
- Reverse guide - Basic feature. Nothing overtly exciting here
- Chrome tailgate - Seriously TATA?
- Interiors - Yes. This is good. While I see that many are disappointed due to lack of leather, but still I think this does look nice

When I last test drove both, the Storme and the XUV (this was in September last year) and I really really liked the Storme's drive. Since then have been waiting for this facelift.

I was hoping that the new Storme will match the XUV in most features, if not all and hence make it an easy decision. But I guess that is not to be. Now the decision is still between a superb drive OR a decent drive + all gizmos.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:29   #620
Senior - BHPian

Are they gone nuts, they have stripped down the LX variant even of the jump seats. I hope they don't let the Safari die the same death as that of Sumo.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:41   #621
BHPian

Would it be possible to fit the new bigger fuel tank (63 ltrs) into the old, outgoing, low featured storme (pun intended)?
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:17   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Would it be possible to fit the new bigger fuel tank (63 ltrs) into the old, outgoing, low featured storme (pun intended)?
My low featured, 65k kms & 2 yr old Storme Lx with alloys is also asking the same question. But the answer to this may be the reason they removed the jump seats as the floor might have been raised.
Honestly they should have atleast given 4x4 option in lower variants.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:24   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
But the answer to this may be the reason they removed the jump seats as the floor might have been raised.
I am not too sure of this. Because in that case the VX should not have the new fuel tank, because it continues to have the jump seats.

Maybe the jump seats are removed just to categorise the vehicle as a 5-seater. Maybe there will be after market options to put in the jump seats later.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:34   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Are they gone nuts, they have stripped down the LX variant even of the jump seats.
Many years back, even before the 3.0L engine came, Tata had introduced a 5 seat de- specced variant called the LX IIRC. And it had many takers in those days.

That might be what prompted Tata to bring out a stripped out variant. But this is not 2005, this is 2015 and people expect dual airbags and ABS in a vehicle costing 10L ex showroom, and since the Safari makes such a good highway car, the lack of these is a very serious dampener indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
[list]
Definitely the VX 4x4 looks good to replace my Scorpio, if priced at around 14.5 L on-road in Kerala.
p
The current Storme 4x4 is almost 16.75L OTR, the Scorpio S10 4WD 15.5L or thereabouts OTR, and the Scorpio S4 is approximately 10.5L OTR. The XUV 4WD is 18L plus OTR. (All without discounts or offers)

If Tata would oblige and give the top VX 4x4 at 14.5L OTR, then we would be celebrating, wouldn't we?
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:12   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I am not too sure of this. Because in that case the VX should not have the new fuel tank, because it continues to have the jump seats.

Maybe the jump seats are removed just to categorise the vehicle as a 5-seater. Maybe there will be after market options to put in the jump seats later.
You may be correct. But that will change the registration category also and force it to register under sedan/Hatch category instead of SUV like the duster. Would that save Tax?
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:36   #626
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The current Storme 4x4 is almost 16.75L OTR,
= Over priced for what it is or has, for me. Very subjective argument though

Quote:
The XUV 4WD is 18L plus OTR
Apples and oranges.

Quote:
the Scorpio S10 4WD 15.5L or thereabouts OTR, and the Scorpio S4 is approximately 10.5L OTR
Hence my calculation of 14.5 L OTR.

After seeing the facelift in flesh/TD, could stretch my budget a bit though, if it's worth it. The current one for close to 17 L, Sorry.

Quote:
If Tata would oblige and give the top VX 4x4 at 14.5L OTR, then we would be celebrating, wouldn't we?
There are always other options in the market today though.

Last edited by M35 : 22nd April 2015 at 14:42.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:38   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
You may be correct. But that will change the registration category also and force it to register under sedan/Hatch category instead of SUV like the duster. Would that save Tax?
7 Seater Vs 5 Seater = Save Tax
In Many states, cars above 10L attract higher taxes so may be the 9.99L rule
In Hyderabad, Storme is registered as Sedan and not SUV :-)
So tata might be saving everything on LX to save taxes

Last edited by rajismine : 22nd April 2015 at 14:39.
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:26   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
In Hyderabad, Storme is registered as Sedan and not SUV :-)
So tata might be saving everything on LX to save taxes

I somehow feel In Hyderabad they dont have anything apart from sedan in their classification.
I clearly remember Innova also being registered as Sedan.
Let me check Wagon R's and post back
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:10   #629
BHPian

Quote:
= Over priced for what it is or has, for me. Very subjective argument though
Sure.

Quote:
Hence my calculation of 14.5 L OTR.
Well, our calculators, our calculations.

But since you are wiling to spend 1L LESS for a Storme than a comparable Scorpio,
Quote:
There are always other options in the market today though.
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:45   #630
Senior - BHPian

Though the Safari is a very competent off - roader with commendable mud plugging capabilities, it still suffers from a time honoured Tata trait : Obesity.

At close to 2.6 tonnes GVW, it does pose a problem, sometimes, in slush & muck, where it can get bogged down.
Also being quite long, with a large-ish turning circle, (although in the Storme it is a bit less compared to the earlier non-hydroformed chassis Safari), the big boy does feel a bit cumbersome on steep climbs with tight hairpin bends.

Maybe TML should seriously consider producing TWO Safari's.
One: the present full blown version for large families and, TWO: a short wheelbase version with 4x4 for small families and enthusiasts, which will neatly slot in below the Safari. Retain the Safari name. Just name it Safari SWB (Short Wheelbase).

The world has seen iterations, and very successful, iterations like this before.

Remember the Pajero MINI ?

Pic Source: Wikipedia
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-mitsubishi_pajero_mini_009.jpg  

Last edited by arjab : 22nd April 2015 at 17:51. Reason: syntax error corrected and pajero mini pic added
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks