Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Mod Note: Our 2015 Safari Storme Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Tata Motors seems to be having a few upgrades lined up for the Safari Storme. These pictures taken recently show the SUV being tested on the Ooty - Masinagudi Road in the Nilgiris wearing a lot of camouflage.

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari1.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari2.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari3.jpg

While much cannot be said at the moment, the pictures suggest that Tata Motors may be giving the the car some cosmetic changes. Stickering on the rear windows could also indicate a few changes to the interiors.

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari4.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari5.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safari6.jpg

Additionally, it is also possible that the Storme might be getting some mechanical changes. The 2.2-litre, VariCOR diesel engine could get a power hike which will enable it to produce 150 PS and 320 Nm of torque like the Aria.

The Tata Safari Storme was launched in 2012 and while it is a very capable product, it has not managed to sell in the numbers that its manufacturer would have hoped for. In a bid to prop up its sales, Tata Motors launched an Explorer Edition version of the SUV with additional features. The company also displayed a rugged-looking "Ladakh" version of the Safari Storme at the 2014 Auto Expo.

Pictures sourced from the Facebook page of Mr. Ejji K. Umamahesh

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2015 at 18:13. Reason: Adding link to 2015 review :)
Aditya is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:30   #2
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Thanks for the scoop.

Changes to any of the body panels are not visible, not sure why it is completely camouflaged.

Apart from cosmetic changes like body graphics etc, it could be the new 150ps version which probably is being tested.
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:49   #3
BHPian

During the last service of my vehicle in the TATA Dealership, I did check with the advisor about the new storme launch and he did confirm that there is going to be an engine upgrade to 150ps. Apart from this even he did not know anything.As per him only the engine will get upgraded.
Also he did mention that accordingly the cost too might go up a bit . I guess we all have to wait for any confirmed news on this point from the company's side.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:49   #4
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Tata Safari Storme was launched in 2012 and while it is a very capable product, it has not managed to sell in the numbers that its manufacturer would have hoped for.
Great piece of news !
  • A front facing third row
  • A redesigned central console with a neatly integrated Harmon + a couple of new tech thrown in
  • 150 PS and 320Nm of torque, a bonus
  • An optional 4x4 Lx
  • An aggressive marketing to let people/mass at the ground level know the changes incorporated
And see how this very capable SUV start taking off from showrooms and achieving the numbers it deserves.
M35 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

With no cosmetic changes in the offing why would they camouflage it so much and draw undue attention ?
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
With no cosmetic changes in the offing why would they camouflage it so much and draw undue attention ?
I guess as mentioned by our good friend that an option of third row front facing seat might be the reason for the camouflage.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Probably they just used the same test mule from the past with updated engine. I guess the camouflage is hard to take off now?

Looking at the pictures there doesn't seem to be any changes even cosmetic compared to current car. I would love that engine power hike, front facing seats, 4X4 optional in all variants and a nicely integrated 2 din ICE. Thats it. I love the shape of current Storme.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I guess as mentioned by our good friend that an option of third row front facing seat might be the reason for the camouflage.
3rd row front facing seat option would be a good feature ( one of my most asked feature in the early days before Storme was launched ). This was shown in the European model as well. But once you see the dimensions of the rear area of the Storme, you will realise that the 3rd row will be extremely cramped - mainly because of the Storme's curving design at the rear ( unlike the boxish designs of vehicles like Scorpio/Xylo ).

Further, one will not get the kind of flat load bay we get now if such seats are fixed. Anyway lets see how this comes out in the production model

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I would love that engine power hike, front facing seats, 4X4 optional in all variants and a nicely integrated 2 din ICE.
Trust me - The Storme is well powered already. Any additional power, IMHO is a waste and will only make the beast look better in paper. I would rather prefer a 6 speed gear box mainly to get additional FE in highway runs.

Nice 2 DIN ice would be really good but would need a whole new dash board design. Will TML invest so much money so early in the product cycle ?
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

I saw this vehicle parked at BKR Ooty Gate Hotel Building last weekend.

Since I was with my family, I could not go and check it out.
Looks a lot like the current Strome.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3rd row front facing seat option would be a good feature ( one of my most asked feature in the early days before Storme was launched ). This was shown in the European model as well. But once you see the dimensions of the rear area of the Storme, you will realise that the 3rd row will be extremely cramped - mainly because of the Storme's curving design at the rear ( unlike the boxish designs of vehicles like Scorpio/Xylo ).

More power is always good

What himanshu had posted in another thread and hence the info was good

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
guys couple of things

the updated Storme will not come before March 2015- However, that will be a comprehensive update with a facelift, revamped interiors, 165 BHP engine (400 NM) and an auto tranny. which spec gets what will need to be seen. This info is from a TML person who is in the marketing dept.

In the immediate future, no change is expected in the storme unfortunately. I too am in the market for the storme, but am in no tearing rush so will probably wait for a year for the updated version.
Nice 2 DIN ice would be really good but would need a whole new dash board design. Will TML invest so much money so early in the product cycle ?

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2014 at 13:27. Reason: Removing broken quote tag :)
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see new spy photos of Storme. But why the whole vehicle is camouflaged if its just a cosmetic upgrade?

I have mentioned before somewhere in the forum, both Storme and Scorpio/Bolero are being upgraded and tested for a requirement by Indian Army of 30,000 vehicles to replace old vehicles used by COs and other officers of various ranks.

I m sure many other forum members will be eager to get their hands on these new vehicles with upgraded mechanicals and engines for the Indian Army.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tata Motors seems to be having a few upgrades lined up for the Safari Storme. These pictures taken recently show the SUV being tested on the Ooty - Masinagudi Road in the Nilgiris wearing a lot of camouflage.
Looks like the step is now collapsible / closed while not in use.

Regards
Bugs
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-safaristorme.jpg  

bhagathmp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

This seems a good scoop. However, it appears they are making changes to exterior panels to make sure the powerful Storme can be differentiated from 140ps Storme... otherwise why would they have cameo-ed the whole body panels.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2014 at 13:27. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:29   #14
BHPian

What I'd like to see in the Storme facelift:

- An "angry" grill, unlike the current "smiling" one with better-styled headlamps.
- Hidden tailgate hinges
- More premium rear wiper
- Front facing 3rd tow seats
- Proper center console
- Better alloys

... and the Storme might still give some competition to the XUV.
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:30   #15
M35
BHPian

• With a more powered Varicor already available, the wheel needn’t be reinvented. It seems to be more fuel efficient too.
  • A sliding second row would certainly provide more flexibility and should help for two at the rear.
  • It’s hard for me to believe that an SUV costing in the north of Rs 10 lacs will continue to be sold without even a basic ICE ?

I feel a facelift is just around the corner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks