Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 07:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Don't you think it is about time that all these antediluvian vehicles were retired forever and some of the learning and knowledge transfer from LR/Jag is applied to us poor hungry starved Indian car buyers?

Resurrecting or reenergising old platforms and old technology like this bodes no good. The market has moved on long since!
Within the context of its peers I still think it is still a very competitive vehicle.
Not sure how many would buy a technologically advanced, complex and expensive 4x4 for off road use or doing cross country.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 09:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Safari brand still has its appeal. This vehicle may not appeal to a very large segment of the crowd ( as is the case with the XUV 500), but it still attracts a reasonable number of customers. Hopefully, TML will come with a refresh and also offer features like air bags and 4WD for the lower variants.

This vehicle is there on my shortlist along with the the yet to be launched S cross. While the S Cross appeals to the head ( practical vehicle in city traffic and a capable vehicle for a couple of off city excursions in a year), the Safari Storme pulls at my hear strings like no other vehicle. It charm is akin to that of Royal Enfield in two wheelers.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

If not a new Storme, you can expect a refreshed one around Diwali. Atleast that is what I would have suggested to Tata had they asked me!

The 150bhp engine is available in the Aria and should logically be plonked in the Storme too. Also, Tata has become very agile now, or rather, has been forced to become agile and will be incorporating all the feedback they have received from Customers into the refresh

After the Storme and the expedition model, the excitement had died down around the Safari, Tata needs to pump up the momentum, before the new Scorpio comes to town
Old 10th August 2014, 09:23   #49
BHPian

There was a small display near my house & I wandered in to see the cars. Had a dekkho at the Storme on display. Was mighty disappointed with the fit, finish and lack of attention to details. Quality of driver interface items was typical TML's pathetic quality. Surprising as the Pune Plant head of TML used to spend a lot of time checking the protos & signing off on various aspects. (I know because I used to visit the palt and that particular office a lot!).

More that learning from JLR, it is obvious that they need to retire their top management and get in fresh blood or stop competing in the segment.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:48   #50
Team-BHP Support

A refreshed version of the Tata Safari Storme has been spied in Pune. The SUV has a new honeycomb grille and a restyled front bumper.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:16   #51
BHPian

A honey comb grill may be quick fix solution but i'm not sure of whether it will make them sell more Stromes. A complete remodel keeping the original Safari looks as baseline is what is required, if they do that, they will have a worthy competitor to XUV.
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a better photo of the Storme in camouflage, hiding its grill and front bumper.

Here is another photo, where the honeycomb grill and front bumper have been designed, but lets wait for the launch to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-1186675_597830940336304_6167221719918477862_n.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

The grill looks like its inspired from the Landrovers, but somehow the design for the side profile still remains the same, should have done some changes there as well. Surely the 150 bhp would be plonked into the refresh. They could have upped the ante a little more towards 160.
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:58   #54
pkb

TML should also add some guard to the underside of Safari Storm. This should definitely add to the off-road abilities of the vehicle.
Slightly off topic, but does anybody know the regulations, if any, for clicking test drive vehicles in camouflage. Yesterday I was made to delete the video of Mahindra Scorpio in Nashik by the Test driver and his manager.
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:05   #55

While it's apparent that Tata hasn't made any drastic changes to the back, I really do think they are needed. The car looks a little too drab from behind, owing to it's height. Unlike the XUV 5OO's roof, which slopes downwards towards the rear, Strome's roof keeps rising. I think a back door mounted wheel can break that monotony, as it does so well with the Safari Dicor.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:13   #56
BHPian

Hope they get the spare wheel at the back door . This will retain the safari's butch look . The storme has significantly improved when compared with the old generation safaris. Hope they sort out all the minor issues too . Good improvement on part of Tata as far as quality is concerned but the brand image, which was tarnished due to poor quality issues, has a long way to go . Best of luck Tata .
Old 24th August 2014, 09:57   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkb View Post
Slightly off topic, but does anybody know the regulations, if any, for clicking test drive vehicles in camouflage. Yesterday I was made to delete the video of Mahindra Scorpio in Nashik by the Test driver and his manager.
They are out on a public road, I believe we are in rights to make a video or take a picture. And we aren't doing something illegal or against the law.

Can you please describe what you saw here?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 10:06   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
They are out on a public road, I believe we are in rights to make a video or take a picture. And we aren't doing something illegal or against the law.
IMO, we can. It is in public area, not inside their premises.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:55   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
While it's apparent that Tata hasn't made any drastic changes to the back, I really do think they are needed. ...I think a back door mounted wheel can break that monotony, as it does so well with the Safari Dicor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny_desparado View Post
Hope they get the spare wheel at the back door . This will retain the safari's butch look ....
I doubt them getting the spare tyre at the rear. That's NOT a minor change and has a lot to do with the vehicle dynamics. Plus, of all the improvements that the Storme made, one was with respect to the rear door problem owing to the spare tyre weight.

Now, I am also a fan of the spare tyre on the tail gate; hope it comes back in the next version.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

The Storme looks really classy WITHOUT the rear wheel mounted on the tail gate. Probably one of the best looking SUV rear sides <30 lakhs I would say. While the old Safari's spare on tail gate has its own old world charm, things have to move on as well and in that respect, TML has done a fantastic job of designing the Storme's rear without all that real estate making it look boxy like most other SUVs in this price range. Even the XUV which has a very good front and side profile, kind of loses the plot at the rear.

Apart from what SWIFTFURIOUS mentions above, just imagine how much easier it is to change a punctured tyre in the current arrangement in the STORME.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks