Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 11:39   #76
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

The 2014 Scorpio threads are alive with minute by minute action but this one has fallen dead. Going by the lack of action can we conclude that this anticipated launch won't happen this festive season!
Old 12th September 2014, 18:27   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
As far as I know the Safari Storme front facing last row will be like the attached pic. I saved it some time ago when they displayed it in some other country. don't remember.
have a look.
This was the Safari Storme displayed at the Geneva Auto Show in 2013 or maybe 2012. European safety regulation doesn't allow side facing seats due to whiplash in collision. This is why even Landrover Defender had to change it's third row be front facing. You won't find a single passenger vehicle sold in Europe with side facing rear seats. Can you imagine what would happen to that person's neck in a collision when seated side ways even with a lap belt?
Old 13th September 2014, 10:23   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Going by the lack of action can we conclude that this anticipated launch won't happen this festive season!
seems like. And i waited for almost 6 months for the refreshed version I was concerned only about the [rumored] Harman ICE. Other upgrades were not a deal-breaker for me.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I was concerned only about the [rumored] Harman ICE. Other upgrades were not a deal-breaker for me.
Then you can as well go in for it now. The stock set up that we got, the speakers were crap. The HU is decent. You can just go for the ICE that you would like, and be done with it.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:39   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Then you can as well go in for it now. The stock set up that we got, the speakers were crap. The HU is decent. You can just go for the ICE that you would like, and be done with it.
. Yes. I will be TD'ing today. Looking for a Diwali purchase.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

We spotted few Storme inside Tata Motors plant. No clue about interior changes, but we could see new grill and front bumper.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

I wish they add cruise control in the refresh version given that the Storme is made to munch miles in the highways.
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:57   #83
BHPian

It would be such a good idea to have the refreshed Storme now. With updated Scorpio likely to be a monstrosity, Storme could have stolen a march over the misguided Mahindra
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

@Latheesh: any further details regarding the new Safari storme? Quite close to Diwali and no news yet.
Just hope that after the Scorpio launch, Tata does not overprice the new version.
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:43   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
It would be such a good idea to have the refreshed Storme now. With updated Scorpio likely to be a monstrosity, Storme could have stolen a march over the misguided Mahindra
I think they are in entirely different market segments, Scorpio is sold in rural india where no one will consider buying a Strome. Of course there will be few exceptions here and there.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 11:14   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I think they are in entirely different market segments, Scorpio is sold in rural india where no one will consider buying a Strome. Of course there will be few exceptions here and there.
I dont quite agree. Although Scorpio may have decent traction in the rural markets, it sells in large numbers in the urban market too. Definitely here in the North, it does. Also if you see their positioning and communication the attempt has always been to reach out to an urban audience.
Old 24th September 2014, 19:02   #87
BHPian

Read this on another Auto Forum. Thought of sharing.

Quote:
Today I just came to know from a senior guy in Tata SUV division that launch might be around January end.all variants will get airbags and inbuilt music systems.with top variant having 8 airbags and sunroof.Interior will also be changed. Land rover engineers have helped in updates as per him.
Hope they make tweaks to the outer shell to regain some of the lost charm.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 10:39   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Today I just came to know from a senior guy in Tata SUV division that launch might be around January end.all variants will get airbags and inbuilt music systems.with top variant having 8 airbags and sunroof.Interior will also be changed. Land rover engineers have helped in updates as per him.
This sounds awesome. Why is it so necessary for Tata to keeps things under such tight wrap? The wait is endless. And now the Duster AWD is launched and that will surely take way that part of the market "which wants a realiable car with soft off-road capability". They might still probably retain the the market "which wants a 7 seater".

The earlier view was that the new Storme will have a better music system and may come with a 150 bhp engine. But the above posts almost makes it compelling to wait.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:22   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
This sounds awesome. Why is it so necessary for Tata to keeps things under such tight wrap? The wait is endless. And now the Duster AWD is launched and that will surely take way that part of the market "which wants a realiable car with soft off-road capability". They might still probably retain the the market "which wants a 7 seater".

The earlier view was that the new Storme will have a better music system and may come with a 150 bhp engine. But the above posts almost makes it compelling to wait.
I think the Duster AWD never really competed with the Safari. Its a much smaller car with totally different characteristics. I doubt if many people would really be comparing these two cars to pick one.

As for the update, that certainly is a really pleasant news. I've been waiting since practically eternity for a properly kitted Safari. I don't want all the gizmos from a XUV500 really. But some of the kit from the Zest should certainly make its way. Airbags from base variant the best part & hopefully holds true. So far, I've never managed to convince myself to "upgrade" from my VISTA to the Storme which really is a "kora kagaz" when it comes to in-cabin equipment even compared to the Vista.

The price - I won't really mind if it goes slightly up. Its not obligatory for TML to keep their prices down all the time. The Storme weighs more than a Fortuner and surely all that extra steel comes at a cost .

Storme has always been a bit high priced compared to the Scorpio, and that has made it a sort of a Niche car. It has generally been a car of owners blindly buying it for just the uncompromising urge for a Safari. Not because it turned out better in a comparison with 3 other cars. Gives it that once in a thousand appeal too. At a signal in urbanized areas, at least I surely admire when there's a Storme around. I cant say the same for other SUVs.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th September 2014 at 17:42.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 14:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure BD sir and his team are working hard to get the Storme better the NEW Scorpio launched on 24th September.

More power and 4WD in lower variants, ABS and dual airbags standard in all variants should be offered.

I still feel that Storme is a much better product than Scorpio, but the price is a factor playing spoil sport for Tata.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed