Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 12:09   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Storme rated below the Scorpio on space and ride quality??
Vikram
Unless Mahindra has done some Magic with their new Soft Ride suspension, this is hard to believe.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:24   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Comparison between new Duster, Scorpio and existing Storme on Zigwheels -- http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/20046/

The Storme lost on ALL individual parameters and lost the race by a mile. Not sure if this is a perception game or whether the other vehicles are truly that far ahead!

With the currently speculated set of features in the much awaited update, I think at best it will be able to pull itself from the very end to somewhere in the middle in this race but I do not think it has enough changes to take it all the way to the front. But I hope TATA proves me wrong on this one
don't believe what you read in the press

Storme is a quantum leap over the Dicor and is vastly superior in EVERY parameter to the Mhawk scorpio (not the new version scorp that was launched this month but the previous one). And i am speaking from experience since i own/owned all three vehicles.

you should buy the Storme for what it is, and not what it is not.

Is it perfect- No not by a huge margin....BUT the things it does, it does damn well.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 20th October 2014 at 12:27.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 12:29   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Storme rated below the Scorpio on space and ride quality?? They must have written this article for publishing on April 1!!
If I'm not mistaken, Zigwheels is published by the TOI group. Do people read that newspaper for real news?
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 12:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Zigwheels is published by the TOI group. Do people read that newspaper for real news?
I am really surprised that Zigwheels would conclude this way! Adil is still with them, right??
That the Scorpio being better than its prev gen has absolutely no relevance. Its being compared to Duster and Strome in this avatar and only this avatar matters.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:55   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Comparison between new Duster, Scorpio and existing Storme on Zigwheels -- http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/20046/
Somehow was not convinced with the comparison. It feels rather superficial and perceptive. For example, when comparing price, it does not mention which model is being compared.

Anyways, its best to do your own studies and take long test drives before putting in your money. After all, if all car buying decisions were based on absolute and pure logic then only one car of every category would sell.

Having said is there going to be a detailed review of the Scorpio coming up on TBHP? That will be quite interesting to read.
Old 20th October 2014, 13:18   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Storme rated below the Scorpio on space and ride quality?? They must have written this article for publishing on April 1!!

Btw, this is coming from a Scorpio owner ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Somehow was not convinced with the comparison. It feels rather superficial and perceptive. For example, when comparing price, it does not mention which model is being compared.
They have "intelligently" packed the sections to highlight the other two products. As per the sections they have listed, the review is true. Just check the section"Ride & Ease of use". They have skipped any reference to ride quality alone which would have placed Storme as a runner up, but they focussed on city usage based on size and pushed the other two above storme.

But frankly, Duster would be the best except the interiors I believe. Storme should get the prize for best interior"quality" at least.
Old 20th October 2014, 14:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
don't believe what you read in the press

Storme is a quantum leap over the Dicor and is vastly superior in EVERY parameter to the Mhawk scorpio (not the new version scorp that was launched this month but the previous one). And i am speaking from experience since i own/owned all three vehicles.

you should buy the Storme for what it is, and not what it is not.

Is it perfect- No not by a huge margin....BUT the things it does, it does damn well.
I totally agree with you Himanshu. I had the Safari for 6+ yrs and though I had more issues than most, I still miss the vehicle and am eagerly waiting for the refresh to launch (actually I am not even considering any other vehicle).

While we may conclude that this article is biased, the fact is that many articles/comparisons in the past too have not favored TATA. This is something which TATA should try and resolve by launching a meritorious vehicle and also with the right mix of Brand Building/Marketing/PR if they want the upcoming vehicle to get a place on the sales charts medal tally.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:23   #173
BHPian

Quote:
This is something which TATA should try and resolve by launching a meritorious vehicle and also with the right mix of Brand Building/Marketing/PR if they want the upcoming vehicle to get a place on the sales charts medal tally.

Something I have been saying for some time now. My simple formula for the Storme would be:
  1. Focus on quality: Zero mechanical issues / No major issues in early years / Excellent fit and finish / Great buying experience
  2. Focus on ASS: Provide dedicated service advisors with mobile access / Focus on addressing any concerns with super urgency / Provide a great service experience
  3. Focus on marketting: Build a brand / Hold events / Call owners / Show their happy pictures (You get advertiseing, people get publicity - win-win) (Mahindra does all this all too well)
One thing that I noted is that there is no "Niggles" thread for the Storme, unless this is being addressed in some other thread which i am not aware of. If indeed there is no niggles thread for the Storme then that itself should speak miles about the mechanical realibility of the vehicle. Incidentally, what I have noticed is that most owners on this forum seem to be pretty happy with their purchases. And that's what has built my confidence and hence looking forward to the launch in November.
Old 20th October 2014, 17:09   #174
Team-BHP Support

Zigwheels has become trashy on the lines of the parent publication (TOI). It's not uncommon for them to preview/review variants of cars that won't even be launched in India, then add a little rider at the bottom that says version/features so & so will not be available in India. Sort of renders the whole review pointless. I'd take any Zigwheels review/comparison with a huge pinch of salt. Most of their featured articles these days read like paid advertisements anyway.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 09:17   #175
BHPian

Quote:
This is something which TATA should try and resolve by launching a meritorious vehicle and also with the right mix of Brand Building/Marketing/PR if they want the upcoming vehicle to get a place on the sales charts medal tally.
And if I may add, price the vehicle sensibly - maybe a little less than your direct competitor - rather than pricing it exhorbitantly and then crashing the price and findinig out that there are still no takers. Tata needs to accept that they are not numero uno in the market - and that they need to undercut the competition if they aspire to make decent numbers.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:28   #176
AAD
BHPian

I have been reading about the front facing third row of seats for the upgraded Storme. Many in this forum have wondered how can this be repackaged in the existing platform.

I was wondering if Tata Motors is planning to integrate the Aria and Safari Platform and offer differentiated products in terms of a People mover and SUV, much on the lines of Toyota's IMV platform. In this way they will be able to offer a spacious SUV while maintaining economies of scale. As it is the mechanical drive train and several other components are common between Storme n Aria.

I believe it will make much sense and the existing Storme chasis/platform could be used for an upgraded Sumo, which has fallen behind competition.

These are just my thoughts look forward to comments from the TBHP fraternity.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I was wondering if Tata Motors is planning to integrate the Aria and Safari Platform and offer differentiated products in terms of a People mover and SUV, much on the lines of Toyota's IMV platform. In this way they will be able to offer a spacious SUV while maintaining economies of scale. As it is the mechanical drive train and several other components are common between Storme n Aria.
But this is already the case. Both vehicles are based on Tata's new generation platform called the X2 that utilizes a hydroformed chassis.

Safari Dicor is based on Tata's old UV platform introduced in 1988 with the Tatamobile and which was the base for Sierra, Estate, Sumo, 207, etc.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:25   #178
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
But this is already the case. Both vehicles are based on Tata's new generation platform called the X2 that utilizes a hydroformed chassis.

Safari Dicor is based on Tata's old UV platform introduced in 1988 with the Tatamobile and which was the base for Sierra, Estate, Sumo, 207, etc.

I agree but the wheelbase is different. It's 2650 mm for Storme and 2850 mm for Aria. The additional 200 mm can free up enough space for the front facing third row, just as in the Aria
Old 21st October 2014, 18:37   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I agree but the wheelbase is different. It's 2650 mm for Storme and 2850 mm for Aria. The additional 200 mm can free up enough space for the front facing third row, just as in the Aria
In my opinion, the Storme is already just about touching the upper cap of the urban buyer's acceptable dimensions. Any more and it will be labeled "impossibly bulky for city".

And increasing the wheelbase without increasing the actual vehicle dimensions (especially the length) would make the overhangs look like hatchbacks. I don't think that will suit the otherwise massive silhouette of the Storme (the short overhangs look good on Duster, which is smaller).

We have to remember that the ARIA has been turned down by a lot of the urban buyers simply for its large dimensions.
Old 21st October 2014, 23:57   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

We have to remember that the ARIA has been turned down by a lot of the urban buyers simply for its large dimensions.
Aria isn't anymore bulkier than a Skoda Superb, Merc E class or a Toyota Fortuner or the Pajero sport. In fact test drive the new 2014 model Aria and it will feel much lighter in feel because of the sprightly engine with an improved turbo charger and a better steering. Any car which has a sound design theme will feel small and compact when you drive but may look bulkier from outside, in other words the vehicle shrinks around and you feel as if driving a big sedan. This perspective is after driving my Aria for more than 2000 km in 20 days.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks