Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 16:53   #556
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Torque delivery has improved at lower RPMs. This should help in steep ghat roads. EX does not seems to have airbags still. 4x4 on lower trims might be still a dream.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:05   #557
BHPian

The LX has definitely taken a beating on the features front with the removal of jump seats (not a big deal - whoever uses them!), rear and side steps ( big deal given the Safari's hieght), ABS and rear disk brakes (very big deal), Smaller 15" wheels (very big deal). They will have to price is very very well to make it worth it - but I do not know why but do not see that happening.

While everyone else goes in the direction of more features, Tata's seem to be headed the other way
Strangerintown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 17:39   #558
Senior - BHPian

They took one whole year to bring out this disappointment.

I was a bit inspired by The Rationalist introduction on this forum for not buying a new car. However, I was also inclined to go for the much awaited Storme face lift. Now I shall stick with Rationalist advise and stick to my old car as this Storme turned out to be rather a 'face-drop' and uninspiring.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:58   #559
BHPian

LX is killed..black grills, black claddings, no jump seats, no side steps, no ABS, drum break and only 2 colors. Uninteresting even if there is a 1L price cut

Last edited by rajismine : 20th April 2015 at 18:00.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:10   #560
Senior - BHPian

Companies take time to add new features to the product, sad that TML took this long to remove many features from Storme LX.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:18   #561
BHPian

15" alloys? seriously? they are on my ZEST!! who the hell would want them on a Safari?
I think now I will rather go for a dicor. I am dead confused between a dicor and a customized MM550 or a Thar. God help me, or more so, my pocket.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:21   #562
Senior - BHPian

Highly disappointed, the current LX is far more value for money compared to the new LX.
Tata motors is just shooting at their own feet with the new safari.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:28   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Highly disappointed, the current LX is far more value for money compared to the new LX.
Well that might change for some new customers if the price is cut by say a Lakh. But now they seem to be making it closer to Scorpio then XUV500. Its like taking the premium out of it.
Besides its not a Electronic Power Steering (no mention) and simply a design change. One would live with it if it were EPS which, it is not.
Only good thing i see is the Self Adjusting Clutch
Old 20th April 2015, 18:28   #564
Senior - BHPian

Guys who waited for the refresh to be launched ( assuming they are already sold on the Storme ) - pls rush to the showroom, get a good deal on existing stocks and drive happily ever after !!

By the way - what exactly is this self adjusting clutch ? Is this a major value add or just some marketing jargon
Old 20th April 2015, 18:40   #565
BHPian

Considering a.) Discounts offered b.) Still very low sales c.) Other vehicles pricing, if specifications of Lx in the report are true, there must be at least 2-3 lacs price cut, otherwise they should give some rest to Safari/Storme for time being and come up with proper strategy.

Many of our friends might argue about strengths of Safari v/s weakness of competitors like Scorpio/XUV/Duster which I would also agree to an extent, but the sales numbers are really disappointing and suggest that market has not accepted product and TATA’s “strategy” v/s competition.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:50   #566
Senior - BHPian

If the LX is going to come with 5 seats only, and 15" tyres, then the price has to be significantly lower, as they would have found a way to circumvent the higher excise for the vehicle of some specifications ( which compelled them to put the 2 jump seats to get the rebate, thereby keep the price acceptable ).

This could also mean they will lower the overall pricing, perhaps to make room for the HEXA and their other newer SUV platforms to be priced above the Safari/Storme.

For me, if they had used an all black dash + center console, the design change would have been much more acceptable. The shade of silver, just looks tacky.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:51   #567
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the Lx will be priced at ₹7lakhs, Ex ₹9lakhs, Vx ₹9lakhs(no difference in features) and Vx 4x4 at ₹12lakhs. No other way to justify.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:58   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Perhaps the Lx will be priced at ₹7lakhs, Ex ₹9lakhs, Vx ₹9lakhs(no difference in features) and Vx 4x4 at ₹12lakhs. No other way to justify.
I doubt. My guess is the Storme prices will be what they are of the Dicor now i.e. a Lakh cut in price which coupled with savings on road tax will be a handsome amount. But only the amount will be handsome, the underlying vehicle wont look handsome anymore. I have the current LX - 3 months old and might look for an EX badge for my LX
Old 20th April 2015, 19:17   #569
Senior - BHPian

Guys
From past experience, I doubt there would be such a price cut as some of you had suggested. In fact taking the Lx to some large hatch back pricing is just not happening. I see this as a way for TML to increase their margins on whatever cars they sell. The Storme + Safari are selling around 400-600 units per month. This rejig will just keep the cars "fresh" for some more time and at the same price ( with the same discounts ) will ensure better margins.

Do you guys really think that the sales numbers will go anywhere close to Scorpio's numbers just by this price drop ? Never. So its purely a "sell less and get better realisation per unit" game till maybe a new platform/vehicle is launched.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 19:20   #570
Senior - BHPian

Well the initial response is definitely not on the lines of what Tata Motors would have hoped for. However, this vehicle has a few positive points over the existing model:

1) Higher power rating with torque available at lower rpm range. This should translate into better performance and the truck should be more fuel efficient.

2) The ICE is a lot btter than the apology of a system the earlier car had. Blue tooth connectivity is a big plus.

3) The interiors look better (if not great).

4) The steering with ICE controls is a lot better,if not ideal.

5) The seats look better though I would love leather as an option.

The lower cost of ownership and higher relaibility is also a big plus.(Hope TML lives up to its promise)

The reactions also stem from the high expectations due to the long time we have had to wait for this refresh, plus the leaks about 400 NM 160 PS engine with 6 speed gear box etc. Secondly, I am not a supporter of "down grades" on th LX variant.

The Safari and the Storme has never been targetted at "gizmo seekers". If gizmos is what you want, look no further than the XUV 500.

If TML prices the VX 4X4 well, this vehicle may find its way to my garage.
rajneeesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks