Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 12:30   #436
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Personally, I do not want to read about another launch date unless it is from TATA.
I agree. Tata has really frustrated its niche set of Storme followers like us. If it were not for this small set of interested people, this brand would have died long back. Somehow they dont seem to understand this.
Strangely enough, now I have waited for so long... i just seem to keep on waiting now...
Old 30th March 2015, 17:01   #437

The last I heard about the Storme upgrade was from an insider I know, about a month back - the 400nm engine has been ready since early 2014 now, but they are seeming unlikely to launch it with this round of what appears to be just a minor revision. The steering controls are definite and I have been told the dash has finally been redesigned to incorporate a double din head unit. Apparently this was a problem earlier due to them carrying forward the archaic design of the DICOR. Some usual upholstery/color changes are in the offing. He didn't mention a new front grille but that also usually comes as part of the standard "facelift" package now-a-days IMHO.
My source even said there are test mules on campus with AMT trannys and there's also an in-house developed ~300bhp monster engine!
I've been waiting indefinitely for TATA to get their act in order and sort out the Safari for ages now - my own Dicor 3.0 is aging and needs an upgrade. But as Sourabhzen said - with TATA its no point speculating, they do as they please and are worse than a govt department in keeping any deadlines. Perhaps that's why my friend quit recently after many many years there!
atapsall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 18:11   #438
BHPian

Who is stopping Tata to launch 4x4 version in lower variants to compete with Scorpio S4 4x4.
On storme website there is comparison shown with XUV, Scorpio and even Toyota Fortuner.
If they are so confident then why dont they provide front facing third row as option (ofcourse there is rumor but no confirm news).
Definitely if marketed properly and provided kept similar features then prospective buyers may think of considering storme who cannot afford Fortuner.

Atleast it will help increasing sales numbers.

Lets hope for storme facelift launch at earliest.

Cheers!
Old 30th March 2015, 19:46   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
If they are so confident then why dont they provide front facing third row as option (ofcourse there is rumor but no confirm news).
Here are 2 images of forward facing seats in a Sumo. Almost all the Sumos in Arunachal have forward facing seats. Not very clear images, but ive personally seen the front facing seats in the Sumo stand.
Of course, they are custom built and not by TATA.
Local mechanics seem to be able to figure stuff.
Tata is probably still figuring out how to!!

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-3-16.png

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-3-17.png
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 09:14   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Here are 2 images of forward facing seats in a Sumo. Almost all the Sumos in Arunachal have forward facing seats. Not very clear images, but ive personally seen the front facing seats in the Sumo stand.
Of course, they are custom built and not by TATA.
Local mechanics seem to be able to figure stuff.
Tata is probably still figuring out how to!!

Attachment 1355392

Attachment 1355393
Very true! Even I have seen such sumo in Sikkim.
Actually Tata was selling Sumo Victa with front facing third row in recent past.
Tata should give similar option in storme with an additional cost. In such case buyers will have an option instead of not even counting storme for purchase due to non availability of third front facing seat.
It looks like Tata worried about sales impact on Aria if they provide third front facing row in storme but in any case even Aria is not selling with high numbers
In such case Toyota could not have sold so many Fortuners when Innova making very good numbers in sales charts.
Let's wait and watch as usual or go for different brand once patience lost. :banghead:
Old 31st March 2015, 21:15   #441
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra has it for their Scorpio, a captain seat version with front facing 3rd row or an 8 seater which has both the middle & last row as front facing.

I do not think it is hard to design or anything such. The demand for the front facing 3rd row is less (ask M&M sales guys) hence Tata never got around of making one IMO. But it should have been there as an option from Day 1. Maybe it is resurrected this time.

I frankly do not see much use of it. I have it in my 4WD Scorpio, it eats luggage space and or, no one (still) wants to sit at the back.

But makes sense if more than 5 persons are traveling & wish to do so in some comfort. IMO, tata should provide this deating configuration as an option.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:22   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapsall View Post
The last I heard about the Storme upgrade was from an insider I know, about a month back - the 400nm engine has been ready since early 2014 now, but they are seeming unlikely to launch it with this round of what appears to be just a minor revision. The steering controls are definite and I have been told the dash has finally been redesigned to incorporate a double din head unit. Apparently this was a problem earlier due to them carrying forward the archaic design of the DICOR. Some usual upholstery/color changes are in the offing. He didn't mention a new front grille but that also usually comes as part of the standard "facelift" package now-a-days IMHO.
My source even said there are test mules on campus with AMT trannys and there's also an in-house developed ~300bhp monster engine!
I've been waiting indefinitely for TATA to get their act in order and sort out the Safari for ages now - my own Dicor 3.0 is aging and needs an upgrade. But as Sourabhzen said - with TATA its no point speculating, they do as they please and are worse than a govt department in keeping any deadlines. Perhaps that's why my friend quit recently after many many years there!
A few days ago, a senior member lukeskywalker( not too sure of the name) had posted on storme's thread that he saw the face lifted storme in flesh. There was no front facing third row, nor a touch screen 2 DIN. The gorgeous looking front grill is already out in the open along with the varicor badge on the side fenders. The Dash indeed has major changes but its not an entirely new one. Somehow I would trust his write-up more than any insiders info, as we all know how many times they have been proven wrong especially about the launch dates and changes.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 08:26   #443
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why this hulaboo regarding rear seats for the Safari. If you have closely seen the rear space and the shape of the bodyshell, the amount of curvature plus the high floor means it is impossible to fit anything apart from kids seats there, that too the seats have to be floor level with no step, else the roof line has to be raised higher, which leads to extra height, body roll and makes the car over 7.5 feet tall. Also the currently generous boot will become zero.
Moreover the rear area of the Safari, for that matter any SUV or hatch is the crumple zone, placing anything apart from luggage there is quite unsafe.
Regarding music, I believe with the explorer edition one gets a decent setup to upgrade as he chooses, the touchscreen is convinient, one can play videos, reverse camera and navigation on it via aux, plus it's completely removable, so no nightmares at service centres or car cleaners.
What I would need as a upgrade is more power right out of the factory and a good torquey amt or auto box.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 11:16   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am not sure why this hulaboo regarding rear seats for the Safari. If you have closely seen the rear space and the shape of the bodyshell, the amount of curvature plus the high floor means it is impossible to fit anything apart from kids seats there, that too the seats have to be floor level with no step, else the roof line has to be raised higher, which leads to extra height, body roll and makes the car over 7.5 feet tall. Also the currently generous boot will become zero.
Moreover the rear area of the Safari, for that matter any SUV or hatch is the crumple zone, placing anything apart from luggage there is quite unsafe.
Regarding music, I believe with the explorer edition one gets a decent setup to upgrade as he chooses, the touchscreen is convinient, one can play videos, reverse camera and navigation on it via aux, plus it's completely removable, so no nightmares at service centres or car cleaners.
What I would need as a upgrade is more power right out of the factory and a good torquey amt or auto box.
You are right sir.
Safari seating should be left as-is. To me, it should not be loaded with front facing rear seat.
Safari like vehicle is meant for comfortable/cruise ride, meant for ride anywhere culture, meant for carrying loads of baggage without hindering the comfortable 5 people sitting in the first 2 rows.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:03   #445
BHPian

Here's what I got from IndianAutosBlog (http://indianautosblog.com/2015/04/t...#ixzz3W2LXrhWf )

"According to a report on AutoPortal, Tata Motors will introduce the Safari Storme facelift in the second week of this month.

....According to the report, the interior of the Storme facelift will be redone to include a Harman Kardon sound system with steering-mounted controls, optional Captains chairs for the second row, and a forward-facing third row bench"

optional Captains chairs for the second row Now that's music to my ears!
Yeldo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:49   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
"According to a report on AutoPortal, Tata Motors will introduce the Safari Storme facelift in the second week of this month.
This is quite nice. Let's hope that TATA keeps this date. The article also talks of an Automatic version being on the anvil. Not sure what that means. Are they planning to launch the Auto anytime soon too or is this just a plan and no action due anytime soon?
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 13:23   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
"....According to the report, the interior of the Storme facelift will be redone to include a Harman Kardon sound system with steering-mounted controls, optional Captains chairs for the second row, and a forward-facing third row bench"
Please remember that today is All Fools Day. As far as TML and Safari owners/wannabe owners are concerned though, every day is April 1.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 14:39   #448
BHPian

Below is a generic comment, but is relevant to the above discussion.

It is interesting to see how many different "sources" publicise things like likely product content as well as purported launch dates.

It is even more interesting to see how other people take what these sources say as the gospel truth, and then hold a company accountable to their version of "the truth".

Personally, I would not take what is publicised by any "source" as truth. The only information I would believe is what a responsible company officer would say ...

e.g.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/42272898.cms
OR
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle6594834.ece

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 1st April 2015, 18:28   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
You are right sir.
Safari seating should be left as-is. To me, it should not be loaded with front facing rear seat.
Safari like vehicle is meant for comfortable/cruise ride, meant for ride anywhere culture, meant for carrying loads of baggage without hindering the comfortable 5 people sitting in the first 2 rows.

Prem.
Precisely.. I don't really mind the side facing ones. Given the safari's structure, the access to the front facing back seat would be one hell of a trouble plus the headroom would be negligible. I would anytime want more lower rev torque along with the issues of rattling and leaking shocker taken care of. If they even manage to remove all that rattling sound for good ( and I am not talking about frequent ASS visits so that they can sort it out everytime) , storme can be back in business in no time.
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:29   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Precisely.. I don't really mind the side facing ones. Given the safari's structure, the access to the front facing back seat would be one hell of a trouble plus the headroom would be negligible. I would anytime want more lower rev torque along with the issues of rattling and leaking shocker taken care of. If they even manage to remove all that rattling sound for good ( and I am not talking about frequent ASS visits so that they can sort it out everytime) , storme can be back in business in no time.

Sir, to you all these changes may not matter as you like the vehicle the way it is. However, a lot of potential buyers compare it with other products in a similar price range ( including the XUV 500 which is a very different but feature rich vehicle) before they finally decide. In such cases the Safari Storme loses out big time due to lack of features like good ICE, lack of airbags on lower end versions, lack of a front facing rear seat etc.

While the true blue Safari/ Storme lovers will keep buying this produce with the problems outlined by you sorted out, the larger car buying public may not be impressed. The XUV regularly does 3000 + vehicles / month . TMIL would like to take the monthly sales figure closer to what the XUV and the Scorpio manage, and to do so these changes will be sorely needed.

The challange before Tata Motors is to execute these changes well to make the the new Storme appeal to a wider audience.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks