Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 06:57   #451
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is the s cross unappealing to look at? It's not butch looking by any yardstick and doesn't look like a quasi suv- something critical in its segment. Even though it is a size larger, a large portion of our market will end up comparing it to the I20 active and then the s cross suddenly starts looking expensive.

The ecosport and duster/terrano look the part....the s cross doesn't. Simple. This one may be a couple of years too late and may be dead on arrival
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:44   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The word is conservative VeluM, conservative tuning.
And they M&M and Tata engines haul 2.5 tonnes, unlike these cross-overs which weigh less than 1.7 tonne.
All the more reason for M&M and Tata to provide more torque. While it may be conservatively tuned, it is even more telling that other manufacturers are able to reliably extract equivalent torque figures from a significantly smaller engine. If reliability is not the reason for the conservative tune, what is? All three supply peak torque from a similarly low RPM, at least based on these reports.

But this is going OT, and is probably food for another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Is it just me or is the s cross unappealing to look at?

The ecosport and duster/terrano look the part....the s cross doesn't.
...may be dead on arrival
I agree, and think the SCross looks a lot more like a compact hatch (like the i20 Active) than a pseudo or compact SUV. That being the case, it should compete with the i20 Active except in the AWD variants which can acceptably exceed the range if provided in the top variants (diesel and petrol).
Old 13th June 2015, 11:14   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Considering that S-Cross belongs to the CUV / Compact SUV category, it will most definitely IMO be priced a little above Ciaz. Ciaz VDi is 8.2 ex-Delhi and hence, I do not see S-Cross priced at the range you have quoted. I also do not think, the will have ZDi and ZDi+ variants with 1.3 L engine. If my guess is correct, the VDi and maybe (less probably) a VDi+ variant will come with the 1.3 L and ZDi, ZDi+ and maybe some optional variants will come with 1.6 L engine. The lowest starting price possible IMO will be 8.5 L for S-Cross 1.3 DDiS VDi. If there is a Petrol version, it might come around 7.5 L ex-Delhi.

The top end ZDi and ZDi+ will have both 1.3 and 1.6L DDiS. But the lower variants will have only the 1.3L

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 11:33   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or is the s cross unappealing to look at? It's not butch looking by any yardstick and doesn't look like a quasi suv- something critical in its segment.

This one may be a couple of years too late and may be dead on arrival

Fully agree with you on this. The cross over still has to look like an SUV, even if wont go off road. This one just doesn't cut it.

SUV looks apart, somehow not taking to the design itself. The sloping bonnet, curved headlamps and Celerio type grille just don't gel together.
Old 13th June 2015, 19:26   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian S-Cross confirmed to come with Dual Zone Auto climate control(The first for any Maruti vehicle), in the 1.6L variant.

Source-My friend at Maruti's R&D

Regards

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th June 2015 at 19:31.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 19:33   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or is the s cross unappealing to look at? It's not butch looking by any yardstick and doesn't look like a quasi suv- something critical in its segment. Even though it is a size larger, a large portion of our market will end up comparing it to the I20 active and then the s cross suddenly starts looking expensive.

The ecosport and duster/terrano look the part....the s cross doesn't. Simple. This one may be a couple of years too late and may be dead on arrival
I will be happier if it performs like an SUV. This look will attract prospective Sedan customers and the performance (if it is as envisaged) will pull SUV and compact guys.
Old 13th June 2015, 20:07   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Indian S-Cross confirmed to come with Dual Zone Auto climate control(The first for any Maruti vehicle), in the 1.6L variant.

Regards
Interesting. Now this is a differentiating feature in this segment. Since your friend is in Maruti's R&D, can he confirm if there will be a petrol version(1.6)
Old 14th June 2015, 01:46   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Regards
Would like to correct a small point that if the S cross comes with dual zone climate control it won't be the first but the second car from Maruti's stable to get it as Kizashi already had this feature
rockporiom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 06:21   #459
Senior - BHPian

Barring the looks,I feel S cross would serve me as the perfect highway runner. I am very much sure the 1.6 ddis wiil be much fun to drive than the already good 1.3 ddis.Looks like an apt ugrade from my Swift DI
Old 14th June 2015, 09:53   #460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Barring the looks,I feel S cross would serve me as the perfect highway runner. I am very much sure the 1.6 ddis wiil be much fun to drive than the already good 1.3 ddis.Looks like an apt ugrade from my Swift DI
I agree fly with you on this. Just waiting for the launch to lay my hands on a TD car and then get it exchange with either my Swift or Dad's Ertiga.

It looks promising but still have my doubts on the 1.6L MJD. Hope Maruti make the 1.6L MJD their second national engine for bigger cars (SUV, Sedans) rather than flogging the 1.3L engine.
Old 14th June 2015, 13:01   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Wow, that's just brilliant! Makes the engines from the likes of Mahindra and Tata (XUV and Safari/Aria) seem poorly tuned/executed

With the power and torque figures like that, should be able to cruise at 110/120 easily, and pull like crazy to get there! I wasn't interested in the SCross based purely on the looks, but am I now!
Not really!! With kerb weights of about 2000kgs and having 150bhp/32.5 kg torque, its more than adequate to propel the SUV from 0-100 in about 13-14 seconds and hit about 180-190kmph. No one wants a SUV to travel faster considering the poor cornering abilities they have. Both the 2.2 powerplants can be pumped upto 180-190 bhp 40-45 kg torque if needed, it requires a simple ECU remap, bigger turbo and intercooler, however these engines have been optimized for the purpose, there is no point in having bigger power and poor fuel economy (below 8kmpl)

Any of the Mahindra or Tata SUV can cruise at 120+ kmph all day, return respectable fuel economy and do all this with two wheels in the dirt... I doubt if the S cross or any of the smaller SUV can even think about putting 2 wheels in the dirt...

Last edited by Eddy : 15th June 2015 at 08:42.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 23:51   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Would like to correct a small point that if the S cross comes with dual zone climate control it won't be the first but the second car from Maruti's stable to get it as Kizashi already had this feature
Might've been sold by Maruti, but the Kiz was purely a Suzuki product. So I am still surprised that the S-Cross, being a product highly influenced by Maruti in India (that ugly grille, stupid looking alloys etc.) will be coming with Dual-Zone ACC

That said, I would be MOST pleasantly surprised if the build quality is up to international standards instead of merely having similar gadgetry.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 00:29   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Might've been sold by Maruti, but the Kiz was purely a Suzuki product. So I am still surprised that the S-Cross, being a product highly influenced by Maruti in India (that ugly grille, stupid looking alloys etc.) will be coming with Dual-Zone ACC

That said, I would be MOST pleasantly surprised if the build quality is up to international standards instead of merely having similar gadgetry.
The S Cross will be launching at almost the same time as the creta which is coming blazing guns with auto tranny for both the petrol and diesel. Also the car would most probably get the safety features like 6 airbags just as the verna.

Maruti should give the s cross everything they got if they want to leave a mark in the premium segment.

I feel the S cross should come with the following

1) Dual zone ACC
2) Cruise control
3) auto wiper/headlight
4) push button start
5) AWD with the 1.6
6) 6 airbags with esp on the top model

One thing is for sure the day the S Cross will launch i will be in line to test the 1.6 MJD
Old 15th June 2015, 08:54   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The S Cross will be launching at almost the same time as the creta which is coming blazing guns with auto tranny for both the petrol and diesel. Also the car would most probably get the safety features like 6 airbags just as the verna.

Maruti should give the s cross everything they got if they want to leave a mark in the premium segment.

I feel the S cross should come with the following

1) Dual zone ACC
2) Cruise control
3) auto wiper/headlight
4) push button start
5) AWD with the 1.6
6) 6 airbags with esp on the top model

One thing is for sure the day the S Cross will launch i will be in line to test the 1.6 MJD
IMO this won't help. Premium features involve premium pricing, which doesn't work for Maruti (Kisashi and Vitara), also premium features help sell a premium car, and S-Cross is just a cross over themed hatchback, it is not a SUV, neither is it a large sized car. Maruti should stick to what it knows well, play the fuel economy card, add some jazz in the look and feel and sell it at a price cheaper than current small SUV/cross overs
Old 15th June 2015, 08:59   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Maruti should stick to what it knows well, play the fuel economy card, add some jazz in the look and feel and sell it at a price cheaper than current small SUV/cross overs
Yes Maruti is treading this segment very cautiously. For the price sensitive buyers it will have the 1.3 DDIS( up to ZDI+) and for those not the 1.6MJD is available.

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th June 2015 at 09:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks