Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 09:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I know this is considering the thread I am posting this on, but as Mad Max has already raised the question, I also had couple from my end:

1. If not the turn indicators, can the auto-folding motor(?) on the Face-lifted Vento be retro-fitted onto the Polo ?

I wouldn't really bother about the '2' but the point '1' will be the best and probably the most important add-on in a city like Bangalore.
VW dealers will not retrofit most of the features that come on newer versions on previous cars, especially in this case since wiring harness is involved.

Maybe you can try this aftermarket once the face-lift is released
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 10:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Had seen the photographs on ACI but this review gives a much better perspective on the changes and the photographs bring out the exterior design changes very well. Great job!

I love the way the VW designers have executed the exterior updates keeping in line with the elegant understated design. I always loved the lines of the Polo and the Vento and the upgrades still keep that. The car looks a bit like a Jetta wannabe now.

At the same time VW has taken the chance to provide some great convenince features like folding mirrors, ORVM indicators, interior footwell lighting etc.

A good touch is that the ORVM indicators can now be seen by the driver following you due to the way they wrap into the mirror casing. Good safety feature.

I would have loved an all black interior variant no being a fan of beige interiors especially on the carpeted areas. (I know I am in a minority of the buying public)

Do we have a list of the various variants and the features VW would be providing in each?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 10:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice report, Saumil! As a 2011 Vento owner I could really appreciate the small changes that have found their way into this facelift. For me what stands out:
  • 7-speed DSG with 1.5 TDI/1.2 TSI options is a perfect package. I have to make do with a 1.6 NA petrol + 6-speed torque convertor
  • The MID in black/white looks so much classier than the bright red on mine
  • Flat-bottomed steering wheel is to die for!
  • Electrically retractable mirrors- this was a clear miss in the earlier versions
  • The Passat-like face and double-barrelled headlamps add a whole new dimension to the classic understated look that I love

But having said all that, there's nothing that makes me go...wow, let me do a lateral upgrade! At its heart it's the same car. 5 years down, VW really should have been releasing something fresh into the market. I think this is where they are going wrong.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 11:05   #19
BHPian

A very well written review. These updates to the Vento are typical of the European way of doing things - subtle, functional and executed with a lot of patience. More importantly, VW have been learning the market and moving forward, slowly but surely. The next new iteration of the Vento and Polo would most likely see features that have accumulated on the current Vento as standard offerings
hrishik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:29   #20
BHPian

Nice review!

Not a great fan of this refreshed front look. I would have been happy if VW had retained the existing front grill but with a smaller VW logo and a flat bonnet.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:45   #21

Well thats more of a facelift than maruti does to its every model every two years combined.
Use of chrome is clever even if excessive at the rear, it does look refreshed.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:13   #22
BHPian

Nice facelift I must say. Some niceties have been added to good effect. That new bold grill will differentiate it from Polo and it now looks closer to the new Jetta now. Folding mirrors were really needed. Tail lamps are good looking as well. But if you hide the tail lamps, the boot looks like it was taken from Indigo from some angles. May be I have strange eyes. I don't like the Rapid like light coloured dashboard either. I think they could have done a bit more but nonetheless, it's an honest effort to keep an aging product look fresh in the market.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice additions to an existing car for pulling it on for two more years! But overall, build quality looks nice and everything is well screwed together. I liked the looks of the new car overall. What I hate however is only the DSG option. They should have given a manual gearbox variant as well. But a nice car after all; it has matured nicely over these years.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice set of enhancements. I personally like these kind of subtle enhancements to the design rather than going for drastic changes. Also good to see additions to the feature set- Cruise control, electrically folding ORVM's, turn indicators on the ORVM, footrest - Welcome additions. Hope that I will be able to get the cruise control stalk retrofitted. From the analysis and discussion in the Vento thread, it looks to be a plug and play job.

Considering that VW refreshes at such frequent intervals, it would be good if they provide something like an option pack for existing owners to get features that are feasible. I am sure for many of these things, the older version car's internal hardware/software already supports it. Just the matter of the physical hardware integration. Good example is cruise control. Even my 2013 Vento has the BCM module needed to support it (Courtesy the analysis done by moderator Gannu_1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
What I hate however is only the DSG option. They should have given a manual gearbox variant as well.
Do you mean the Petrol 1.2 TSI Manual? The diesel has both manual and AT. If so, yes a 1.2 TSI manual would have been a good option.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:09   #25

The external facelift does give an impression of premium and brings it closer to its more expensive siblings but the impression fades away once inside, looking at the headunit, which is still the same (ancient looking). Certainly a missed opportunity by VW.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:33   #26
BHPian

Firstly an excellent review- crisp, clear and illustrative.

Now coming to the upgrade, must say VW has done a pretty good job of 'not' doing too much with exteriors to pronounce that its major face lift, yet do subtle but decent changes- both functional & beautification, to make it look more updated.

As detailed out in the review, this car has gone umpteen changes/upgrades over the years and many a times done silently ( More like Mobile apps pushing updates-like v1.1.3 ) ).

Good that this time VW has clubbed few changes together and released it as a major upgrade.
This time, a new buyer will definitely feel that he is buying some thing better and more chance that he would prefer the upgrade version than the current stock vehicles (say, 2014 refresh or earlier updates... there were people ready to buy old stock at heavy discounts than buying the newer one for headlight job/bluetooth etc). I myself opted current stock for a better pricing back in 2013.

But now comparing to its cannibalizer (Rapid), i feel VW haven't done enough with this upgrade to capture more new buyers. Projector headlamps and a better ICE system with touch nav, atleast as highline plus, would have helped much. Its by default that a buyer will compare Rapid & Vento (doubt if there is any buyer who dont know rapid & vento are almost identical)and see Rapid has some better gizmos and beauty (agree, its subjective), move in the direction of Rapid and after hearing Skoda's scary service 'perception', he will end up with Honda or Suzuki. End result, mostly the VW fans/German lovers or DSG/TSI enthusiasts will buy Vento and monthly numbers will still remain almost the same. May be retaining the same numbers itself might be seen as an achievement.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2015 at 15:39. Reason: Spacing
murajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 15:44   #27
BHPian

The VW guys should stress upon the 1.5L TDI Automatic more than the anything else. The chrome is definitely a subtle work and definitely doesn't look too much out of the place when compared with the recent facelift jobs done by MSIL or Nissan (again it's a personal opinion).

And am I the only one to see the trend shifting towards Automatic these days ?
Old 1st June 2015, 18:33   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
And am I the only one to see the trend shifting towards Automatic these days ?
Not at all. I think it is pretty clear we are now headed the AT way. Maruti with the Celerio and Alto and now Tata with the Nano have got the attention of the mass market focused towards AT (or AMT).

Even on this forum, a large percent of folks looking for a new car are looking at AT's first.

Agree that the 1.5TDi DSG is the Vento's USP. They should focus on marketing that heavily.
Old 1st June 2015, 18:42   #29
BHPian

Have the color options changed in the upgrade? When the last refresh was launched few colors were taken out. I like the Terra Beige (I have one with the same color). For some color is not a deal breaker, for some it is, especially when the options in lighter colors are limited to white and silver.
When I spoke to a dealer they did not want to offer a loyalty bonus if you trade in an older Vento to this new refresh. They were ready to offer a loyalty bonus on the last refreshed model for a older Vento. The reason given was, they have no offers on the latest model, I did not get the logic. To me a loyalty bonus is not a offer, its "loyalty" that you as a brand should appreciate and honor (a cash discount goes in that direction). Anyways, that 20 K will not be a deal breaker. Nothing specific to this upgrade, but the 1.5 does not sound as good on the outside as the older 1.6. Just a little bit more refinement would have helped.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I guess I finally have to bite the bullet and buy this... really wish it had the projectors & DRLs :( Hopefully once they do launch it next year & they can be retro fitted onto this version. The rear chrome could have been a tad less & I would have at least liked an option of an all black interior. Still overall a nice face lift, makes the vento look refreshed.

Yes please with a better tune of the engine.
I share the same sentiment

I have been watching the Vento grow (pun unintended..) slowly and steadily in the last few updates, and I just wish the latest facelift had DRLs and it alongside the DSG tranny would have been irresistible , and I too would have taken the plunge!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks