Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:11   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While this may be true for the NA petrol engines, I would disagree with respect to the 1.2 TSI. Being a Turbo petrol it is almost as torquey as their diesel counterpart and is totally at home on the highway.
  • The 1.2 TSI is a Turbo Petrol. Which means it gives you the diesel like torque. The power figures are the same between the TSI and TDI- 105PS. The TSI has 177NM of torque as compared to the 250NM of the TDI. But the TSI peak torque band extends from 1500 all the way to 4100 RPM. While the TDI peak torque band is from 1500-2500 RPM.
  • The TSI, being a petrol is a more rev happy engine.
  • The TSI sounds better. It is super silent when driven in D mode with a light foot.

I agree with your observations but I'd like to make a few points.

The stock TDI's peak torque figures are quite a bit higher and you do feel that between 1500-2500 RPM. And when on a highway, a good driver will keep it in the peak torque band, thereby making good pace whilst feeling less strained.

That said, the TSI makes up pace thanks to that quick shifting gearbox. So both cars are fairly evenly matched.

The TSI will drink a lot more than the TDI.

The TSI is quiet when you're cruising. But have you heard it at low revs and especially with the windows down and music turned off? It's noisier than your average petrol engine, IMO. The TDI on the other hand sounds like a tractor.

The Polo is perhaps not as well insulated as the Vento(?)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd June 2015 at 23:20.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:13   #47
BHPian

Thanks Suhaas, Vik & Rajeevraj for your inputs. I was confused between the Vento TDi & TSi not the GT twins. Considering I do most of my driving in the city and a very occasional highway sojourn I guess the Tsi makes more sense. Also the DSG box is THE reason I want to buy one of these so manual is not an option

I wish I could buy the GT though, would save me some money, have more fun and drive a tighter car but the cramped rear really kills it for my "upgrade" from a small car.
Old 2nd June 2015, 23:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Thanks Suhaas, Vik & Rajeevraj for your inputs. I was confused between the Vento TDi & TSi not the GT twins. Considering I do most of my driving in the city and a very occasional highway sojourn I guess the Tsi makes more sense. Also the DSG box is THE reason I want to buy one of these so manual is not an option

I wish I could buy the GT though, would save me some money, have more fun and drive a tighter car but the cramped rear really kills it for my "upgrade" from a small car.
Hi Bhodrolok,

Did you get any information on release date from Bangalore dealers? The dealers at Hyderabad have no details on this. Also, any whiff of pricing for Highline Tsi.
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:01   #49
BHPian

Despite multiple calls, nothing from dealers yet. Will head over in person this weekend

However the on road price for the Highline Tsi in Bangalore seems to be about 13.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Hi Bhodrolok,

Did you get any information on release date from Bangalore dealers? The dealers at Hyderabad have no details on this. Also, any whiff of pricing for Highline Tsi.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:18   #50
BHPian

Had this doubt every time I see more favorable opinion about TSI when compared with TDI. Just tried to organize my thoughts here, being a TDI-DSG owner and having driven a Polo TSI.
  • TSI is a silent car <==> TDI is not that bad when driven with AC ON and some music playing. I mean, for all practical purposes it is bearable.
  • TSI sounds nice at high revs <==> High revs mostly applicable on highway drives and mileage is a concern with TSI.
  • TSI as a city car <==> why not TDI ? very good mileage in city as well and same DSG takes care of moving it comfortably.
  • Fuel Cost per KM for TSI (~7.5 Rs) <==> 3.5 to 4 Rs for TDI
  • TSI on road price in Bangalore is lesser by ~1.5 L.
Looks like if the usage is about 1000KM/month and looking at owning the car for 4 years (max warranty period), it might make sense to buy TSI as the cost difference would compensate for fuel and we get to enjoy a slightly better(silent/rev happy) engine.

Definitely TDI is the one to go for if the usage is higher.

Disclaimer: Haven't given a thought about resale value of the car after 4 years,so here's that bit; If we take a hit at the end of 4 years with resale of TSI and that amount is closer to the initial savings with TSI onroad price, then it should be TDI all the way for all practical purposes and thinking.
rejeen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The TSI is quiet when you're cruising. But have you heard it at low revs and especially with the windows down and music turned off? It's noisier than your average petrol engine, IMO. The TDI on the other hand sounds like a tractor.

The Polo is perhaps not as well insulated as the Vento(?)
It is definitely noisy when started, but after 30-60 seconds seems to settle down and is very quiet. Not really checked with the windows down, but the insulation could be a factor. Not sure if the Vento's noise insulation is better than the Polo. Interesting point there.

Quote:
Actually this face lift gives more reasons to buy the Vento. when I bought in 2013, the only real differentiation between the Polo and Vento TSI was that the Vento is more spacious in the back and had a bigger boot. Last years face lift brought in the TDI DSG and with this face lift you get a bunch of other useful features not there in the Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Hi Bhodrolok,

The dealers at Hyderabad have no details on this. Also, any whiff of pricing for Highline Tsi.
Quote:
However the on road price for the Highline Tsi in Bangalore seems to be about 13.8
Is that the expected price for the new Highline TSI? Seems quite high. The current price for the Highline TSI if I am not mistaken is around 13L OTR Bangalore.

Noticed that the website is already updated. http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/model...est-drive.html
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:41   #52
BHPian

Why is that floor hump so big in the rear? A 3rd person at the rear is a big NO.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:07   #53
BHPian

Gave up on Elite motors and spoke to both Palace Cross & Apple VW. Both say the official launch is around the 15th of this month and they should have information on test drive availiblity and final price in a couple of weeks. The current TSi highline sells for about 13.3 is what I was told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is that the expected price for the new Highline TSI? Seems quite high. The current price for the Highline TSI if I am not mistaken is around 13L OTR Bangalore.
[/url]
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:15   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Volkswagen Vento to be launched in India on June 23, 2015.

VW website is updated for pre-booking the New Vento!

2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look-newventobanner.jpg

http://overdrive.in/news/updated-vol...-june-23-2015/

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd June 2015 at 20:22.
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Looks like if the usage is about 1000KM/month and looking at owning the car for 4 years (max warranty period), it might make sense to buy TSI as the cost difference would compensate for fuel and we get to enjoy a slightly better(silent/rev happy) engine.

Definitely TDI is the one to go for if the usage is higher.
Well said rejeen.
There is a nice thread on Team-BHP on this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...esel-cars.html

An excel sheet too is given in the thread; you can put your values and see the result. The analysis considers all the costs including the resale value.

The thread is worth reading start-to-end.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gave up on Elite motors and spoke to both Palace Cross & Apple VW. Both say the official launch is around the 15th of this month and they should have information on test drive availiblity and final price in a couple of weeks. The current TSi highline sells for about 13.3 is what I was told.
Avoid Elite for the purchase. Have heard a lot of negatives experiences about Elite. My colleague bought a Polo from them and had to run around a lot after making full payment to get the car.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Brochure scans are out, courtesy IAB:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th June 2015 at 11:07.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

The Comfortline seems well loaded. Apart from the Chrome on everything, also misses out on steering controls.

Trendline is very poorly equipped. Interesting to see it does not get ABS also (Airbags are standard).

Noticed one page on features missing from the IAB Pictures. Just checked the Website and the brochure is out officially.

http://www.volkswagenlive.in/volkswa...o_Brochure.pdf
Old 4th June 2015, 11:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm...so the communication colour is Titanium Beige and not the earlier (lighter) Terra Beige shade. Looks very nice!
Old 4th June 2015, 11:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point out where is the Cruise Control option mentioned in the brochure? I checked the standard features in the website but couldn't find it in there no matter what variant I selected.
TIA

Edit: Time to get some glasses I guess. Thanks RavenAvi. It's listed under Functional Features.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 4th June 2015 at 11:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks