Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 19:17   #106
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

sid patnakar from ndtv auto tweets that VW India recalls 389 Polos from Sept 2015 production batch for possible defect in the handbrake.
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 19:28   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Official statement issued by Volkswagen India today:

Quote:
In the context of a voluntary safety measure, Volkswagen Passenger Cars in India is calling 389 Polo cars from a single batch of production from the month of September 2015 for inspection and preventive repair of the handbrake mechanism.

The Quality Assurance department of Volkswagen India has determined that under certain conditions, the handbrake mechanism would lose effectiveness.

The analysis performed by Volkswagen has shown that a batch of handbrake cable retention levers in the rear brake liner might break under certain conditions.

Volkswagen has already identified the cars and has published the repair instructions to the service organisation in India. Customers who own the identified vehicles will be actively contacted by the Volkswagen dealers to come for an inspection and preventive repair.

This operation will start with immediate effect. The activity at the workshop will require approximately one hour and will be carried out at no cost to the customer.

The deliveries of the identified Polo cars in stock which had been put on hold yesterday will be resumed as and when the inspection and preventive repair of each car is completed.

Volkswagen further confirms that deliveries for the non-impacted Polo range continue as per schedule.
IAB
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 20:12   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I see this as a positive step. May be VW is belatedly seeing the light, and realising that issues need to be fixed. Reminds me of how some global banks have reacted to the fines on them - tightening compliance to very high levels such that business is at the beck and call of what used to be called support functions. The only question is if this would be enough to win back trust and prevent the company from careening towards bankruptcy.
Old 8th October 2015, 20:28   #109
BHPian

Good that they are catching these and recalling the vehicles for fixing the same. Given their negative streak, they should handle these things better. The whole "physical delivery" part got all of us going bonkers.

PS: I really think we have some standup comedians in our group - the whole physical vs. mental delivery conversation made my day.
Old 8th October 2015, 20:30   #110

I own a 2014 Nov polo 1.5 TDI .Tried calling people in the VW dealership all the sales guys either din't pick up or had their phones turned off .Finally got through to one service advisor . Was told that they had indeed recalled about 15 cars out of which most were 2015 models and a couple of 2014 models based on VIN numbers provided by the company and that they replaced some part called the EGR unit (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Unit) .And even before I asked he said it has nothing to do with the emission scandal .When enquired further he told apparently those cars had pick up issues and this solved the issue . He denied that any ECU remap was being done . And for the delivery of polos he said it was a rumour and they had delivered 2 polos even today . Even if VW is covering up something they are doing a really bad job at that.
Old 8th October 2015, 20:54   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder what would have been VW's approach to this if the emission scandal had not happened. To me it sounds like there is a directive from the top to ensure that there is no further bad press due to any issue.

When this came to light, it feels like the India management scrambled together a plan without giving enough thought to it and the terse one liner to the dealers was a part of that. I think the half planned approach backfired on them and this news got to the front page of every news site and paper.

In the pre-emission scandal era, I think they would not have probably taken it more slowly and maybe would not even have done a formal recall.

All through the DSG reliability issues, VW (or Skoda) never put out an official communication or a recall (We even have a big thread on why every other country other than India got an official recall). Even the switch from synthetic to mineral oil which was supposed to be done to enhance DSG reliability never saw an official recall.

Maybe now we can expect better sales and service from VW
Old 8th October 2015, 21:06   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Tiger View Post
the EGR unit (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Unit)
EGR directs gases/unburnt fuel back for combustion. If there is too much of soot then one will get the check engine light. Unscrew the two bolts and cable holding the oval face of it. Clean it by spraying WD40 or similar spray, wipe and put it back. Check engine light will vanish in first km of driving.

EGR is in no way related to hand brake the reason for Polo recall.
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 21:07   #113
Team-BHP Support

After yesterday's fiasco, someone today has realised the folly and has gone on corrective action.

Atleast they mentioned the problem they found in the cars.

But I am sure the damage must have been done. People are very quick to get swayed back to Maruti and Hyundai as VW/Skoda/Ford/Renault are usually considered as risky propositions.
Old 8th October 2015, 21:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Ironic, that of all the complex parts present (the DSG notwithstanding) it's the humble mechanical handbrake which VW acknowledges, has a defect!
Pokes aside, if it's a brake pad matter then it presents quite a serious hazard, where the owners should be warned of the risk. Issues pertaining to control over the vehicle should be treated like an advisory and monitored by authorities.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 21:46   #115
BHPian

I doubt whether they would have even thought about this had the scandal hadn't taken place. They will take this as a good will gaining gesture and try to restore some of the tarnished image.
But, why only the Polo? Ventos would also have the issue, right?
Old 8th October 2015, 22:21   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
1. As confirmed by BHPian Paddu, his March 2015 manufactured car is a part of the recall.
2. Stopping deliveries of Polo's currently in Dealer yards

Best case assumption, issues with the Jan 2015 till date manufactured Polo's

Its definitely not a 1-2 month thing.
The latest news on Reuters is what I heard from my SA as well. All affected vehicles have been identified. Owners of already delivered vehicles will be asked to come for a fix. The vehicles that are not delivered will be fixed in the workshop (I don't know if there will be a slight delay due to this)

The issue is with the handbrake (Reuters and SVP post on ndtv has more details).

Polo deliveries of non-affected cars will continue.

Paddu's is a TDI and his recall may actually be unrelated to this handbrake issue. Lets wait and watch if many like Paddu having a TDI will be asked to visit the workshop for a ECU fix/flash etc.
The handbrake issue doesn't involve any ECU related stuff, its some mechanical part in the handbrake system that will be replaced.
Old 8th October 2015, 22:39   #117
BHPian

hmm.. quite a few versions here. A close friend of mine just bought a TDI highline exactly a week back and was sweating profusely yesterday evening when he saw the new in economic times. He later today morning called the sales guy and was assured that this has nothing to do with the dieselgate or the TDI engines instead they have found a technical error with the GT TSI's automatic transmission. They assured him that he can walk in anytime to speak to the VW doctor (don’t know what that means though)
Old 8th October 2015, 22:52   #118
BHPian

Wow! 8 pages have been filled for a topic of minor recall of 300-400 cars. People don't bother to pay much attention for recalls of thousands of cars in case of many of other brands. This tells how popular VW are between car community and why they are selling in such huge numbers worldwide. They know very well how to remain in news, be it for good reasons or bad reasons, being in news somehow helps in gaining popularity.
Old 8th October 2015, 23:29   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
But, why only the Polo? Ventos would also have the issue, right?
Polo and Vento have different wheelbase and rear suspension. The handbrake cable is of different length and may have a slightly different design on the fastners and bolts that fit it in place.
Old 9th October 2015, 00:03   #120
BHPian

An unfortunate double whammy for VW. A hill out of a mole hole, bad timing I would say. There seems to be a ear everywhere. The memo sent to dealers got leaked to the press and the avalanche started. This is the effect of mass media. This clarification could have come earlier, VW was slower to react. Anyways, there are deliveries going on for those VINs that are not affected. So, one down two to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks