Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 15:56   #1
BHPian

VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

http://http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/volkswagen-directs-dealers-not-to-sell-popular-hatchback-polo-in-india/articleshow/49257010.cms

Volkswagen directs dealers not to sell popular hatchback Polo in India
Attached Images

subhro1988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:07   #2
BHPian

VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo !!

VW has asked its dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo to customers. What is strange is the fact that it is not related to the global emission scandal.

More details are awaited.

Link to the article
vivekz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
VW has asked its dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo to customers. What is strange is the fact that it is not related to the global emission scandal.

More details are awaited.

Link to the article
The article is not opening. Can you post an excerpt from the article. Seems to have been taken down.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:13   #4
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

I am able to access it but unable to copy paste.

I can also see a letter photo posted in the site. It is just a one liner post. Quite strange, a one liner post from VW to the dealers
Attached Thumbnails
VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue-pololetter.jpg  

Last edited by amvj : 7th October 2015 at 16:16. Reason: uploading the photo
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:15   #5
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Incase the link didn't open for you, here is the excerpt from ET:

Quote:
"Volkswagen India, on Wednesday directed its dealers not to sell any Polo, its popular hatchback model in the market with immediate effect.

In a letter addressed to its dealers, Volkswagen has directed them not to "physically deliver" any Polo vehicle.

"We request, not to physically deliver any Polo vehicle (all variants) with immediate effect till further notice from VW," the dealers were told.

The letter was signed by two Senior Volkswagen officials - Ashish Gupta, Head of After Sales - Operations and Pankaj Sharma, Head of Sales Operations, to their dealer partners. ET has reviewed the letter.

When ET sought a reaction from VW officials in India, they confirmed the development but said a detailed statement will be shared later in the evening.
Regards,
Shreyas

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th October 2015 at 16:32.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:25   #6
BHPian

This is indeed news. Why would they do it and that too in such a terse and looks in an urgent manner. If it is the engine issue then why stop Petrol models of Polo and also why not diesel Ventos and Jettas

Waiting for the details

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 7th October 2015 at 16:36.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't remember any manufacturer doing such an abrupt stoppage of delivery of their car.

Are the dealers booking the car (for those interested who are walking in the showroom) ?

Seems something bigger with Emissions which Polo would have failed.

Waiting to more info on the reason.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Very intriguing. What can be the reason if it is not linked to the emissions scandal?

Why stop the petrol ones? Is it the DQ250 DSG gearbox issue that they are worried about now?

It could be that ARAI has informed VW that they are withdrawing type approval / homologation approval for the Polo for various reasons. A detailed statement will shortly be released I am sure.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend took delivery of a red Polo GT TDI just yesterday! Now we are both very curious as to what could be the reason!

If the delivery got delayed by one day probably it would have been a long delay?
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the ET link:

Quote:
When ET sought a reaction from VW officials in India, they confirmed the development but said a detailed statement will be shared later in the evening.

However, VW clarified that it had nothing to do with the recent controversy surrounding VW over a software that was capable of cheating emission tests. A VW official said the EA189 engine which is installed in a large number of Volkswagen vehicles in the country along with the software that has caused so much problem for the European giant in developed markets is not a reason for the directive to the dealers.
I somehow have a weird feeling about this news source.

Last edited by dhanushs : 7th October 2015 at 17:00.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:09   #11
BHPian

This also seems some mischief to me -- no car manufacturer would issue a stop delivery notice to all the dealers without proper media briefing.

Has anyone confirmed this with any of the dealers ?
Old 7th October 2015, 17:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to speak to a gent in VW. This " sales restraining" order has nothing to do with the EA189 emissions issue.
It is probably due to some potential faulty part / misfit of part during assembly that is the cause for this.
Apparently the company will issue a formal press release soon to clear all doubts.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 17:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very intriguing. What can be the reason if it is not linked to the emissions scandal?

Why stop the petrol ones? Is it the DQ250 DSG gearbox issue that they are worried about now?

It could be that ARAI has informed VW that they are withdrawing type approval / homologation approval for the Polo for various reasons. A detailed statement will shortly be released I am sure.
Withdrawing type approval is a possibility but then again why Petrol. Maybe ARAI found something suspicious in petrols too. Really intriguing.
I hope VW comes out with the reason clearly and openly soon, before this speculation gets out of hand. Under the current circumstances i don't blame people (myself included) for suspecting the worse

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 7th October 2015 at 17:25.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Does this have anything to do with the Polo with updated features? I remember very recently they did add Cruise control, turn indicators, cooled glovebox as features. Only Polo was updated, none of the other models were.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be better to wait for a valid reason for this news, rather than jump to conclusions and give potential VW buyers or existing owners heartburn.

Like a fellow member reported above, it can be a coincidence that some other issue cropped up at this time and they stopped delivery until fixed or cleared up.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks