Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2006, 13:51   #166
BHPian

Front quarter grill? Whats Suzuki thinking??... They are heading back to Premier Padmini days... honestly, it looks much better without it....

Interiors are cool though...
Old 29th November 2006, 13:59   #167
BHPian

Sweet interiors man!!!
When is it coming? Is it worth waiting for the diesel powerhouse from the MARUTI-FIAT combine or can we call the VERNA a winner in the current context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainogkok View Post
Has anyone know the exact launch date of this car ?

Old 29th November 2006, 14:14   #168
BHPian

Any idea if it will be in an automatic version or not - with a 100 bhp engine an automatic should be ok - unlike the NHC CVT - which is kind of underpowered
Now of course an automatic might push the pricing to around 8+ - and so the value conscious customer might avoid it and Maruti strongly positions itself as a VFM car maker - sad!
Old 29th November 2006, 19:20   #169
BANNED

Some things I picked up on the way.

1. The car seems to be either launched as a newyear surprise or earliest in 2007. Rare chances of being launched in Dec end too.

2. It will be launched with a diesel version too. And this is expected to be launched before the Swift diesel.

3. There will be minor exterior changes for the Indian version and the interiors will be changed a bit too. (I expect the integrated Stereo to be out from the menu).

4. The car will be a direct competition for Verna, Fiesta, NHC and Optra. (I am a bit keen to see a price tag which starts from 7L and climbing upto 10L for the fully loaded diesel).

5. It will have one of the best in class interior space and the motor will be very refined too.

Yes! These all are just pointers for this great car waiting to be launched. More exact details may pour in as time passes by.
Old 29th November 2006, 20:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
3. There will be minor exterior changes for the Indian version and the interiors will be changed a bit too. (I expect the integrated Stereo to be out from the menu).
Why would there be no integrated stereo? With the Fiesta/Aveo/Optra having it.. I see no reason why Maruti might exclude this. Besides, without that, the dash looks kinda hollow and incomplete.
7L+ as a starting price seems a bit steep to me.
Old 29th November 2006, 21:25   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
5. motor will be very refined too.
Will a new motor be introduced on the baleno? Maruti is know for tweaking existing motors to extend their life on new cars. We have so many examples, Swift from Esteem, Alto from M800, New Zen from WagonR etc

Diesel could possibly be a Renault or Peugeout like the one that did business on the ZenD. We all await the new baleno. Keep the info coming in zak.
Old 29th November 2006, 21:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Why would there be no integrated stereo? With the Fiesta/Aveo/Optra having it.. I see no reason why Maruti might exclude this. Besides, without that, the dash looks kinda hollow and incomplete.
7L+ as a starting price seems a bit steep to me.
Simple, Pricing issues. I drool over the international car's interiors. There is no way we are going to receive them here even at a price. I feel 6 - 6.5L would be a better starting price if the new baleno has to appeal to the already confused buyer.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 29th November 2006 at 21:33.
Old 30th November 2006, 00:01   #173
BHPian

Maruti's strategies have changed a lot since Swift's release. They are learning up fast and are catching up with the competition with new releases in the C category and are becoming more aggressive. They also need to learn a lot from their earlier mistakes with pricing the current Baleno and in the looks department. If the base model of the new Baleno starts from 1.4 litre engine to take up Fiesta / Aveo, it would be perfect. A duo fuel version will kill the competition like any thing.

Last edited by Tech : 30th November 2006 at 00:04.
Old 30th November 2006, 00:14   #174
Team-BHP Support

Duo- fuel??? For the baleno???

Baleno had such a good engine... Dont you think its better to retain that, and introduce a more powerful one too??? and bring in a diesel later...
Old 30th November 2006, 10:01   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
If the base model of the new Baleno starts from 1.4 litre engine to take up Fiesta / Aveo, it would be perfect. A duo fuel version will kill the competition like any thing.
Correct. A model line-up with 1.4 and 1.6 litre engines, fuel choice of both petrol and diesel (maybe LPG/CNG too as a Duo option), and sensible pricing, should see the NSB (New Suzuki Baleno) romp ahead.
Old 30th November 2006, 10:11   #176
BHPian

just a polite suggestion.. we can avoid pictures in quotes to preserve bandwidth ..
Old 8th December 2006, 17:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quoting Debasis from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debasischatterj
It is official now. A research analyst from ORG -MARG visited my place on behalf of MUL and filled-up an extensive questionnaire regarding the launch of new Baleno. The photograph he showed me is the same as we had seen in TBHP. The launch date will be some time in April/May,2007.The price tag is 6.5Lacks to 7.5Lacks for different variants Ex. Showroom Delhi.
If this is the price at which it will be launched, I would not be surprised if MUL shoots itself again in the leg with the new Baleno.

At these prices, if you slap on the insurance / taxes etc, the on-road price will be like 7.25lakhs for base model and 8.3lakhs for top-end, in Chennai. Compare this to the current Chennai onroad prices of 5.75 lakhs and 6.50 lakhs, which means the new Baleno is going to be costlier by around 1.5 - 2 lakhs. I am not sure it will find buyers at these prices - people might rather go the Honda way.

Maybe MUL is banking on finally going the heavy discount way a la the current Baleno, if its strategy fails.
Old 8th December 2006, 20:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

I doubt it will be 1.5L to 2L higher than the current one. They will definitely try to price it aggressively - but I would say just a tad higher than the Verna petrol. Assuming its launched with the old engine (which isnt a bad idea at all). If they bring in the VT..VT (or whatever), that would raise the prices.
Old 8th December 2006, 20:57   #179
Team-BHP Support

Verna petrol may have all vtvts and stuff....

But its still sluggish... the CRDi is cool though!
Old 9th December 2006, 20:34   #180
BHPian

They have to launch it competitively now. Else it will prove that they didn't learnt it from their earlier mistakes. Even Swift and Estillo have been launched at competitive prices.

With so much competition, the prices have to be controlled and products have to be released at correct prices. And Maruti can do it with intelligent plant production lines, using existing engines (I would certainly depend on an already proved engine, than a new engine - like Swift based on trusted Esteem Engine), light weight bodies, simple dashboard for base model, etc.

Also I think that they should not remove old products, they can remain and people will buy them. Having a wide array of products always attracts more people than having few which gives them an opportunity to sway to other competitors. For eg retiring Esteem may not be a good idea as it is a best seller in its segment. Even Old Zen should have continued. It looks quite macho from behind now that it is out of the market. A modded look Zen with thumping bass stereo really rocks on the streets.

Surprisingly independent modders are able to create better looking modded versions, than Maruti's own designers team. The new look Alto XFun and Wagon R are somewhat strange looking versions. They should not do it with the Baleno.

Also any pricing close to Hondas and Toyotas will not work that effectively. International car brands which have already established themselves in India will always hold Indians more. Honda and Toyota prestige works in India. Although Suzuki was mentioned as World No 3, it's Indian counterpart has to make that reputation.

However so far Maruti has focused more on Small cars. For C segment it better launch a complete package - looks - outside as well as inside, style, power, performance, efficient, comfort, long usage and problem free. Only then can it survive. Else every car is weak in certain ways in the C segment.

quote by Crazy Driver :-
----------------------------------------------------
Verna petrol may have all vtvts and stuff....
But its still sluggish... the CRDi is cool though!
----------------------------------------------------

Verna could have been better had it's external looks been better. It looks slightly ugly from front. Car's front looks should be either smiling (Swift) or it should be macho (Swift / Honda Civic). Verna gives a lost look to me.

Just some tips which I hope Maruti Engineers pick up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks