Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 11:32   #286
BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

Good to see Indian OEMs putting safety features as a priority. 4 wheel disc brakes, 7 airbags. Good effort from Mahindra. At the same time , I personally wish to see more active safety features in upcoming vehicles ( ESS, Pedestrian detection and of course! - Auto high beam dip) .
Also 1.5L diesel from Marazzo means, this could be the pocket rocket, I've been waiting for.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:27   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra's Press Release:

Attachment 1829424
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
My guess is that the XUV300 is not actually based on the international Tivoli, but rather an in-house development which has taken cues from the Tivoli in terms of design.

I guess Mahindra has made it clear that it is indeed based on the international Ssangyong Tivoli platform, and it's not just the design cues of the international model. If it were some other <4m platform (i.e. TUV300 or NuvoSport platforms) then I guess they would have made it clear in the press release that it is indeed based on them and not the international Tivoli platform.
Old 21st December 2018, 14:20   #288
BHPian

Kudos to desi manufacturers for going the whole hog in terms of safety, not to forget the focus on fundamental attributes. After Tata Harrier, XUV300 from Mahindra is a benchmark setting product. All wheel disk brakes, 7 airbags, proven platform, wide stance and great proportions make this one a serious challenger in the compact SUV segment.

As far as looks are concerned they are extremely subjective, some prefer a flowing silhouette while others a boxy shape. A manufacturer cannot please both. Also some people prefer bling while others prefer understated exteriors. Again impossible to please both. So a manufacturer has to rely on their customer feedback and market demands.

Proportions and wheelbase to track ratio are more critical factors which is where XUV300 really hits the Bulls eye. I think Mahindra have a wise strategy with the sub 4m length as they can price the product relatively more aggressively . The interiors look to be up market and the vehicle appears to be roomy in the spy shots. If competitively priced this one can make a serious splash in the segment.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 21st December 2018 at 14:24.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 14:35   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
All,
Looking at the video, the front reminds me of the chopped down verito while the rear hatch is definitely scaled down xuv5oo door.

Interior quality appears to be good, vertical instrument ahead of gear lever cluster appears to be crowded.

As always a full TBHP test will reveal the truth. Good luck Mahindra.

Regards
Nikhil

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd December 2018 at 00:23. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 22:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 (S201) AMT coming soon

Source

Quote:
Mahindra has officially revealed its sub 4 meter compact SUV, the XUV300. To be launched in Feb 2019, it will initially come with only a manual transmission as stated earlier today. However, we zoomed into one of the sketch images and found a little secret, an AMT gear lever. This clearly means that at a later stage, the XUV300 will get an AMT set-up.

The current compact SUV segment leader, the Breeza, has an optional AMT and so does the Tata Nexon. There is a clear demand for automatic SUVs and Mahindra knows this new trend. While the AMT ‘box will not be offered at launch, it will be launched at a later stage. What remains to be seen is if Mahindra will offer it with just the diesel or with both the fuel types.

Mahindra did not reveal any official specification but we strongly feel the new XUV300 will come with the all-new G80 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine that generates around 125 Bhp and 170 Nm, making it the most powerful in the segment. For the record, the Ford EcoSport EcoBoost produces a maximum of 123 Bhp. On the diesel front, the XUV300 will get a 1.5-litre unit that produces a maximum of 121 Bhp of power and 300 Nm of torque – this is the same engine that powers the Marazzo. Mahindra did confirm today that the baby XUV will generate the highest torque for the segment.

The XUV300 is largely based on the Ssangyong Tivoli but has seen major changes for the Indian market. It will offer segment leading safety with as many as 7 airbags and will offer unique features like a dual zone climate control, sunroof, all four disc brakes among others. Pricing will play a vital role here – the Brezza starts from Rs 7.58 lakh (diesel only), Nexon from Rs 6.22 lakh (petrol) and EcoSport from Rs 7.82 lakh onwards. While the XUV300 is clearly being positioned as a premium compact SUV, Mahindra will have to position it between Rs 6.5 to 10.5 lakh. Do note that the EcoSport petrol comes with a proper conventional automatic.

The XUV300 is the third launch by Mahindra in this financial year after the Marazzo and the Alturas. The latter is also a Ssangyong product, having being modified for Indian conditions.
I guess if Mahindra can mate the Marazzo's diesel engine to an AMT for XUV300, then even the Marazzo will come with an AMT and not a conventional automatic transmission.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 21st December 2018 at 23:05. Reason: Added more details...
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:25   #291
BHPian

Ace rally driver Gaurav Gill provides a sneak peek of the Xuv300. Swipe to the second pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrrWJmHA...d=bmvob6n306bi
ATRONIX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 13:17   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Ace rally driver Gaurav Gill provides a sneak peek of the Xuv300. Swipe to the second pic.

Wow. This looks so amazing. Definitely a fresh new design, yet sticking to a nice SUV stance. Kinda has a stance similar to the Vitara Brezza. Those teardrop LED DRLs don't look that bad and man, look at the shine on the paint. Looking forward to this car in January.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 14:49   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post

Looks fantastic. The design is far more appealing to me than the Nexon which looks like a bloated Tiago and is more aggressive than the Brezza or Creta as well. Will wait for the pricing and maybe the first revision for all the niggles to settle down and I guess my money is on this one.
Old 22nd December 2018, 17:54   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV3OO spied during a TVC shoot,

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-2.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-1.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2018 at 18:02.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:45   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
XUV3OO spied during a TVC shoot

Attachment 1829994
The rear seats have 3 adjustable headrests. That must be a first in this segment? Does the TUV 300 also have them? Also hints at the width and shoulder room in this vehicle.

The tail lamps look good, but I would have preferred square shaped taillamps (like in the Jeep renegade) over these wraparound ones. They would have been a better fit for the boxy looking SUV that it is.

Last edited by PYSO : 23rd December 2018 at 12:46.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:54   #296
BHPian

Before you rush out there to book your next Mahindra, take a good look at the XUV 500s on the road today. Like me, you'll notice spreading rust, faded plastics, clattering engines and dull, matte paint finishes, all coming together to highlight just how poorly their products are engineered.

No matter how well designed they are, at the end of the day, Tata and Mahindra simply cannot compete with the quality of a global manufacturer's platform (yet)!
Screwdriva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:09   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Mahindra simply cannot compete with the quality of a global manufacturer's platform (yet)!
Wholeheartedly agree. Would recommend that folks wait a year after launch before seriously considering the product as it will take M&M time to fix all the niggles and issues. While my car hasn't had rusting or any other major issues, I know of many owners struggling with this problem. One of them even had the entire frame changed under warranty because of rusting.

I wouldn't comment on the new age Tata cars. They seem solidly built with much better paint quality. Time will tell how they hold up.
procrj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:28   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I wouldn't comment on the new age Tata cars. They seem solidly built with much better paint quality. Time will tell how they hold up.
Same applies to Tata as well, apart from being solid, fit and finish have a lot to be desired on my Tigor, not sure what is stopping Indian makers to deliver global quality product!

Hero Honda was the only Indian auto maker known for quality, this too was ages ago. Quality in Bajaj and TVS varies from model to model.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 07:48   #299
BHPian

I have been following the TUV 300 threads to the T, with the intention to buy it. While I loved the car (thanks to the splendid reviews and knowledgeable comments on Team-BHP ), the only consideration was lack of a petrol engine, given the threats on diesel vehicles whenever the pollution concern raises its ugly head in Delhi NCR. This XUV 300 seems to tick this box, atleast for me.

I was wondering though, if XUV 300 is priced to compete with Ecosport, Nexon or Brezza, would it also hurt the sales of TUV 300?

Btw this is my first post and very happy to join all enthusiasts on this one-of-a-kind platform in India .

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2018 at 21:26. Reason: Typos fixed. Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
CarStruck is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 08:55   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
I was wondering though, if XUV 300 is priced to compete with Ecosport, Nexon or Brezza, would it also hurt the sales of TUV 300?
Welcome to the forum.

Your answer is in the sales data itself. Take last month for example - 14,378 units of Brezza, 4224 units of Nexon, 2786 units of WRV, 2724 units of Ecosport and 992 units of TUV 3OO.

Mahindra has a very insignificant share of this segment - and they'll be glad if they can reach or exceed Nexon level of sales, even if that means the end of TUV 3OO.

I think TUV will have its own set of customers, (though sales might drop drastically) especially from rural areas due to the rugged nature of the vehicle compared to all the other choices available.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2018 at 21:26. Reason: Quoted post edited.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks