Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 18:24   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
And there goes our dreams of owning the Renegade, buddy. We were thinking in the ballpark of 20-35? This surely means that it won't cost anything less than 40-50 lacs OTR.

The Internet is blowing FCA back to kingdom doom! These prices are in no way justifiable. My God. I can't even get a grasp over this
Not necessarily.
Read what Im suggesting in the post I just made on this thread.
Old 30th August 2016, 18:31   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Not necessarily.

Read what Im suggesting in the post I just made on this thread.

Yes I just read it Shankar. I missed it because we posted our respective posts back to back.

I understand what you're saying. If that is what their plan is up their sleeves, then it will really make things interesting and Jeep will sell more for sure.
But, till then, hope is all we have.

With these prices I'm really upset. But then again, let's hope for the best
Old 30th August 2016, 18:54   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
Yes I just read it Shankar. I missed it because we posted our respective posts back to back.

I understand what you're saying. If that is what their plan is up their sleeves, then it will really make things interesting and Jeep will sell more for sure.
But, till then, hope is all we have.

With these prices I'm really upset. But then again, let's hope for the best
Im just keeping my 5 year old Yeti. Will see if and when they launch the Renegade or Patriot. Till then I shall hold my peace.
Old 30th August 2016, 22:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I don't think Jeep is going to get the Renegade right in India. Either they will take their own sweet time and localise heavily to keep it below 30 Lakhs else they are going to import it as a CKD and price it way higher. The amount of test mules that we have been seeing in such a short time frame leads to me to believe it's a CKD and not heavily localised. So it's pipe dreams for many of us!
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 06:36   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Somehow I don't think Jeep is going to get the Renegade right in India. Either they will take their own sweet time and localise heavily to keep it below 30 Lakhs else they are going to import it as a CKD and price it way higher. The amount of test mules that we have been seeing in such a short time frame leads to me to believe it's a CKD and not heavily localised. So it's pipe dreams for many of us!
As Ive suggested on the other threads, Skoda Yeti was able to come in as a CKD at exactly the same price as in the UK/ Australia in 2011/2012.
I am pretty sure that if these dunderheads at Jeep were to use their god-given brains, they can replicate the same method and price it fairly.

Again, they may not really be dunderheads. In some sense I think they are just trying to build "lifestyle" and "aspirational" and "premium" cues by pricing their initial offerings at insane levels and try this way to build hype for the brand and so on.

And then once the brand beds down in the country they will probably introduce their lesser priced off spring (still priced at a premium most probably, when compared to other markets) but which will seem like bargain basement deals as compared with the pricing of their initial offerings in this market!

Sometimes I wonder, who really are the dunderheads here in India...

Looks like it is an odds on chance for the above kind of strategy to play out here...

Lets see!
Old 31st August 2016, 14:46   #126
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Ive suggested on the other threads, Skoda Yeti was able to come in as a CKD at exactly the same price as in the UK/ Australia in 2011/2012.
I am pretty sure that if these dunderheads at Jeep were to use their god-given brains, they can replicate the same method and price it fairly.

Again, they may not really be dunderheads. In some sense I think they are just trying to build "lifestyle" and "aspirational" and "premium" cues by pricing their initial offerings at insane levels and try this way to build hype for the brand and so on.

And then once the brand beds down in the country they will probably introduce their lesser priced off spring (still priced at a premium most probably, when compared to other markets) but which will seem like bargain basement deals as compared with the pricing of their initial offerings in this market!
Yep that is most likely their strategy. They conceivably cannot have a strategy of not selling anything. They need to target selling something, and presently the model they have introduced are not really going to sell at all so this has to be PR - Else have they got it totally wrong - they are Fiat after all.
Old 1st September 2016, 10:39   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmed: Jeep India is developing SUVs in the Rs 10 - Rs 20 lakh bracket!!

Most of us were shocked about pricing of recent launches by Jeep. There is some good news now.

Quote:
The company is developing two models, one for the B-segment and one for the C-segment. The model for the former segment is codenamed 526 and will be a sub-four metre SUV. It is expected to sport a starting price of Rs 10 lakh. At that price it will take on the likes of the Ford Ecosport and the popular Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza. Expect Jeep India to price it at a slightly higher price point than these compact SUVs, and with a few more features. We also expect the B-segment SUV to not get 4WD to keep costs in check.

The C-segment Jeep, codenamed 556, will be benchmarked against the likes of the BMW X1, GLA and the Audi Q3. The company plans to launch this model by August next year. This Jeep may also get exported to various markets around the world. This model will gt 4WD as an option.

At the launch event, FCA has announced that it has invested $280 million in its Ranjangaon facility, which highlights its commitment to the Indian market, it said. Kevin Flynn, MD, FCA India also hinted at the possibility of exporting Jeeps from this facility.

For now, the company is tight lipped about the extent of localisation in these Jeeps, but says that it will surprise the competition and its customers.
http://overdrive.in/news/confirmed-j...-lakh-bracket/

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st September 2016 at 10:40.
Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 14:15   #128
BANNED

Heres a bunch of Wranglers and Renegades buzzing around on the Airport road just now. My first sight of these here in India...Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472719474.482551.jpgJeep Renegade spied testing in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472719486.852013.jpgJeep Renegade spied testing in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472719498.375152.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 14:32   #129
BHPian

Re: Confirmed: Jeep India is developing SUVs in the Rs 10 - Rs 20 lakh bracket!!

Quote:
I saw this one in Pune-Hinjewadi yesterday but could not click pics as I was driving. Was actually wondering which one it would be be because had not seen any thread on it.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confirmed: Jeep India is developing SUVs in the Rs 10 - Rs 20 lakh bracket!!

Quote:
Heres a bunch of Wranglers and Renegades buzzing around on the Airport road just now. My first sight of these here in India...Attachment 1549331
How did it feel clicking a 80L on road car!!!
What on earth have they been smoking The same car in US starts from around 20L. Even if keeping in mind that US is an altogether different market, the prices are just atrocious.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:55   #131
Team-BHP Support

Going by their pricing of the Grand Cherokee, what we may see here is a Kwid or KUV competitor for 15-20l.

Can't help but take a jibe at Jeep

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st September 2016 at 15:02.
Akshay1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 15:17   #132
Team-BHP Support

Contrary to this being a good news I am now extremely wary of the FCA management here. If they launch a sorry compromise of a thing in the name of local, market specific model I don't think it will take them anywhere!
Zappo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:08   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How did it feel clicking a 80L on road car!!!
What on earth have they been smoking The same car in US starts from around 20L. Even if keeping in mind that US is an altogether different market, the prices are just atrocious.
These vehicles are most emphatically NOT worth this kind of price.
The Renegade - well, no one knows what Jeep India is planning with that vehicle really so might as well keep anticipating, speculating, cursing, cribbing and everything..

Ref this 10 lac to 20 lac vehicle from the Jeep stable, well, those are meant to take on the likes of the Brezza, the EcoSport, the Thar, the S Cross and the Creta and possibly the X1 and Q3 and Yeti and so on.

If indeed they bring in a good vehicle fully loaded and Trail Rated with 4WD and all the safety kit that is available in the world and then price these in a nice way, then and only then, will it be possible for a slightly discerning consumer to even bring Jeep into his/her consideration set.

Lets wait and see what the future holds.
Until then, personally, I think I will just hang on to my Yeti and keep enjoying it as much as I can.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:29   #134
BHPian

I just don't get it, my knowledge of CBU pricing is negligible but I do know that a top spec Wrangler Unlimited costs around $ 42000 translating to roughly 28lacs INR with an exchange rate of 1$=67INR.
This is nearly 3 times the price, what are the mathematics involved here.

If anyone was to purchase a wrangler in the US and ship it back here would it cost this much?

At this price they might as well just distribute brochures, as my guess is anyone with that kind of money will buy a Rover or Mercedes G Wagens rather than this.

Cheers
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:49   #135
BANNED

Well, in a jocular vein, anyone who wants something like a Wrangler and more or less as capable as it, but without any of the frills and bells and whistles and big brand noise etc, can quietly go and get a 10 lac Thar and be content...

Saying this, it WILL certainly be nice, if there could be a proper, detailed ON ROAD and OFF ROAD SHOOTOUT between the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in its best available spec in India, the Mahindra Thar in its best available spec in India and of course the old faithful Maruti Gypsy too.

The Test Drivers should go absolutely Head to Head, All Guns Blazing in each of these three vehicles on the same tracks and trails and in identical conditions.

Lets then see who wins this Epic Battle!

Can our TBHP beat all these commercial Auto Magazines and do this FIRST?

I would REALLY love to see this happen for sure!

MODS? BIG BOY TESTERS? OFF ROAD HOTSHOTS? Anyone?

Most Viewed