Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 14:01   #286
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

AutocarIindia has posted their test report on their page.Performance of the auto, 2.7 seems good with 0-100 at 11.5 secs. The ride is good, but handling and dynamics are so so with a vague steering.The spec sheet mentions that the GC is just 167mm. while I was of the opinion that it is 200mm. Typo? because the vehicle does no look very low slung.
The downer was that ex showroom price of the z 2.7 auto would be at 22 lakhs. That puts it in ford endeavor territory.
igp_79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 18:15   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

The Motoroids team have come out with a really comprehensive review of the Innova Crysta, together with a huge & detailed photo gallery.

Excerpts:

Quote:
the folks at Toyota couldn’t stop talking about how they significantly improved cabin insulation from before. To their credit, they’ve done a fantastic job, and with the engine idling, the new Crysta feels like a tomb inside or as quiet as tombs with diesel engines can become. Diesel clatter is well contained as compared to the Innova, and even on the move, there’s barely any wind or road noise filtering through, let alone any squeaks or rattles. The problem however, is with the engine noise as you give it some heavy right foot. A heavy, tired and loud drone punctures the cabin’s silence in as the 1GD works with the automatic transmission, making it audible.

Performance isn’t a cause for concern though, as the 1GD picks up speed with ease. The engine revs pretty eagerly for a big diesel when the right foot calls for it. There are three driving modes available here – ECO, Normal & Power; each distinctively varying power delivery and throttle response. The 6-speeder automatic gearbox is smooth and effortless as well, with relatively quick shifts and well spaced gear ratios. Though it doesn’t have a creep function, it performs really well in traffic, and never gets confused.

the 2GD strapped to the manual transmission felt more eager than its more powerful variant. Clutch action is long, yet light, and there’s oodles of torque available anywhere in the power-band, making for effortless performance; a distinct Innova trait. Tractability is fantastic, especially in traffic, and though the difference in gross weight between the 2.8-AT and the 2.4-AT is just 20 kg, the latter felt more effervescent. Unlike the former, where engine noise can be an issue, the 2GD doesn’t shout or boom its way into the cabin. Its particularly fuel efficient as well, and driven with a light foot, it can actually deliver as much as 21 km/l in the real world! Gear shift quality isn’t seamless and felt rubbery, but we reckon things will improve with age. Right then, even though the older Innova performed really well, especially at being tractable, the Crysta still trumps it, particularly the 2.4-MT, the version that’ll see the most buyers.

The new Innova Crysta builds on the same body-on-ladder frame that the old Innova left off, bit stiffens it significantly with additional elements, allowing for a more rigid structure. The trade-off is extra weight, with the new Crysta weighing more than 200 kg more than the older model. Add a softer suspension set-up with longer dampers into the mix, and you get a cushier ride quality than before. It still wallows a bit around corners, but things have improved when compared to the outgoing model. There’s also some nose dive, and even though it’s softer to ride in than before, it doesn’t tackle bumps and expansion joints with the same nonchalance than say, a Tata Safari Storme. The hydraulically operated steering rack is too heavy, especially at lower speeds. I don’t really see a lady parking this vehicle with grace. Also, the steering wheel size is bigger than average; maybe to counter the heaviness. However, it weighs up nicely with speed and feedback improves as well. The 2.8-AT gets disc brakes all around, while the 2.4-MT comes with drums at the back. Braking performance left nothing to complain about, as both ABS and EBD chimed in to haul down 2450 kg (gross; 2.8-AT) of Innova Crysta with ease.
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrystaheadlamp2.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrystaroofmountedacvents1.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrystaseats4.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrystaglovebox2.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrysta7inchtouchscreeninfotainmentsystem4.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-newtoyotainnovacrsytamid4.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 18:54   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Motoroids team have come out with a really comprehensive review of the Innova Crysta, together with a huge & detailed photo gallery.
Quote:
though the difference in gross weight between the 2.8-AT and the 2.4-AT is just 20 kg, the latter felt more effervescent
Toyota is not launching AT version with 2,4 engine

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2016 at 18:56.
Old 30th April 2016, 18:57   #289
Senior - BHPian

Hearing a different review on the steering feel from ACI and OD.

Renuka from ACI said that the steering is light and overly assisted.
Rohit from OD said that the steering is heavy.

How does it actually feel? Does anyone know?

Eagerly awaiting TBHP's review. Looks like the media drives were from Mumbai to Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
GC is just 167mm. while I was of the opinion that it is 200mm. Typo? because the vehicle does no look very low slung.
The lowest point of the diff casing will be 167 mm off the ground. All the other parts will be way above the ground.
I don't think there should be any concern regarding this. The axle moves along with the wheel, so there's no chance of scraping it over tall humps.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th April 2016 at 19:01.
Old 30th April 2016, 19:39   #290

Thanks for this thread TBHP. I have been looking around to add a 7 seater for my huge bulging Bengali family, but havent been able to do so, before I hit upon Crysta. Innova was always a to-be-driven-around option, rather than going myself behind the wheels. However, with the latest requirement of a comfortable 6/7 seater, which offers comfortable once-a-quarter road trips with the entire family, even atop the hills, and also a vehicle which I didnt mind taking to office everyday (odd/even allowing!), I think Crysta has tick marks on all aspects.

However, what would be the price like? I was reading speculative pricing for top trim AT version, and it is supposedly crossing 20!

Is it worth spending 20L on Crysta?
Old 30th April 2016, 22:16   #291
Senior - BHPian

Is the launch on Monday 2nd May?
Old 30th April 2016, 22:43   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
As per various reports doing the rounds, Innova Crysta is scheduled to launch on 3rd May, 2016.
Old 30th April 2016, 22:44   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1981 View Post
(odd/even allowing!), I think Crysta has tick marks on all aspects.
I think you're in line for a long wait. You simply can't register the diesel versions in Delhi. The XUV with 1.99 is a good alternative.

Quote:

Is it worth spending 20L on Crysta?
I think yes.
Old 30th April 2016, 22:56   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1981 View Post
Thanks for this thread TBHP. I have been looking around to add a 7 seater for my huge bulging Bengali family, but havent been able to do so, before I hit upon Crysta. Innova was always a to-be-driven-around option, rather than going myself behind the wheels. However, with the latest requirement of a comfortable 6/7 seater, which offers comfortable once-a-quarter road trips with the entire family, even atop the hills, and also a vehicle which I didnt mind taking to office everyday (odd/even allowing!), I think Crysta has tick marks on all aspects.
You can go for the BRV as innova cannot be registered for the time being in NCR unless you have another address. The BRV can also seat 6-7 albeit not as comfortably as the innova, have higher FE, easy to drive in the city at 70% the cost. If u can wait then innova is definitely worth the price and wait.
Old 1st May 2016, 08:37   #295
Senior - BHPian

Well Top Gear has its 'review' out. Looks more like an opinion piece rather than a deep dive critique

http://www.topgear.com/india/toyota/...ysta/itemid-51
Old 1st May 2016, 10:00   #296
BHPian

Any idea on whether the Crysta comes with an in-built reverse camera? For a car of this size, I believe one is essential.

Waiting for the launch this week. Really looking forward to the TBHP review. Hope this come out as soon as the vehicle is launched.

I really need to finalise on either XUV500 or the Crysta now. I don't think there is point in waiting for the Hexa.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:10   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hearing a different review on the steering feel from ACI and OD.

Renuka from ACI said that the steering is light and overly assisted.
Rohit from OD said that the steering is heavy.

How does it actually feel? Does anyone know?
The ACI review states that the steering is heavy at low speeds and overly assisted and light at high speeds.

The ACI review also states that the price for the top end diesel auto may touch 22 lakhs ex showroom. The question is, will it sell at those prices? 22 lakhs is dangerously close to cars like the Endeavour and Superb.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:35   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The ACI review also states that the price for the top end diesel auto may touch 22 lakhs ex showroom. The question is, will it sell at those prices? 22 lakhs is dangerously close to cars like the Endeavour and Superb.
22lac ex showroom seems ok. Somebody wanting a seven seater will not look at Superb or endevour Base model. We could get a base model of X1 (afer discounts) at the price lower than the top end fortuner. Does that mean fortuner did not sell. There are different segments buying different products. they will price the base variant low for the taxi and mass market. Mid varients at maximum profit. and high variants at higher margins for the chauffeur driven class.

we have booked both the 3.2 endy and crysta. Totally different class of vehicles in different price bands. Taking finances into account Heart says endy (calculated risk)mind says crysta (with no risk). Basic purpose is farmhose trips to Rajapur once a month.
Old 2nd May 2016, 03:14   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
As per various reports doing the rounds, Innova Crysta is scheduled to launch on 3rd May, 2016.
When I called the showroom on Friday, they told the Innova Crysta will be on display, today, 2nd May. Online, the release date is a split between 2nd and 3rd.

CarTrade, NDTV Auto says its on 2nd May, where as India Today says its on 3rd. Anyway, we will come to know about the same soon .

My prediction .

GX 2.4 Manual - 16.00 lakhs ex showroom
VX 2.4 Manual - 18.40 lakhs
ZX 2.4 Manual - 19.25 lakhs

GX 2.8 AT - 18.75 lakhs
ZX 2.8 AT - 22.00 lakhs
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:14   #300
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
That's bhpian Ayan (tbhp handle: AyAn!) in the 3rd row.

Ayan has been inactive in the forum since last 3 months or else his first-hand valuable inputs about the Crsyta would have been helpful for people planning to book the car.

But then I am sure the Official Team-Bhp review of the Crsyta is on its way out soon !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks