Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 12:33   #571

Re: BMW X1 Recall for S/W upgrade - risk of fire in intake system

I also received a recall email from BMW dealer in Pune. I wonder how did they notice this defect after 4 years (the recall is for BMW X1 purchased in 2018). Or is it a bug which existed and went unnoticed? Have there been instances of deposits on intake system and found to be hazardous? Also perhaps the S/W update will only provide some warning I guess of possible danger and not prevent any damage. This is not clear. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 11:23   #572
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Recall for S/W upgrade - risk of fire in intake system

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchetd View Post
Have there been instances of deposits on intake system and found to be hazardous?
As per BMW Workshop there haven't been any incidences of fire in India. Only observed in other countries where car is run more than 1 lakh kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchetd View Post
Also perhaps the S/W update will only provide some warning I guess of possible danger and not prevent any damage. This is not clear. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Correct. But being pre-warned will prevent any further damage as customer would take car to workshop. Just like you get notifications for tire puncture before tire becomes flat.

I hope other members also share their experiences after ECU update.
Old 10th December 2022, 14:02   #573
BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

My X1 sDrive 20d xLine with extended warranty is completing 4 years this month end (Dec'22).

28th Nov: Car ignition struggled with 1 or 2 tries to start. By knowing to check battery, I called for BMW service appointment. Though I insisted next day 29th Nov for service, they have given me an appointment on 30th Nov.

29th Nov: Same symptom of starting the car but no issue

30th Nov: Prepared me to service center (just 2 kms away). I was not able to start the car as battery drained. Called BMW breakdown team. They arrived in an hour and jump started the car. I have taken the car to service center at around 11am. As routine service is also due in another 1000 kms (alert at dashboard), I have given the car for both battery check and service. Also, I informed him to check a minor crack on the eParking switch which I noticed only few days back. But there is no issue in the function or sturdiness of the switch.

01st Dec: After several calls and discussions with SA, car was ready at evening. He said he will come back in 3 days on the eParking switch – to check whether crack is due to external force or quality issue. I clearly said it is only me driving the car and nothing done on the switch accidently other than just using it. I have taken the delivery at around 7:30 PM. Car stars and drives like fresh.

Services:
> Change of engine oil, oil filter, microfilter (AC filter), engine air intake filter and service - 29K
> Update is done as part of Technical Campaign (Program control unit - DDE)
> Battery is replaced under warranty

Issue after service:
My left side mirror is not getting auto down when I shift to reverse. I think it is mostly due to update of program control unit. I noticed it only after reaching home and parking the car. I raised it to SA and reminding him once in 2 days. He assured to check and comeback (for this issue and crack on eParking switch as well) but no resolution for last one week.

What shall I do now?
I checked iDrive settings but not able to find anything suitable to enable it.
Any help from our members here to enable it again?
Shall I book an appointment to take the car to service center again?

My vehicle warranty will be over this month end. I am in dilemma whether to go for 5th year extended warranty or not (my car has done 23K kms and 5th year warranty costs 86K). Any suggestion?
Old 11th December 2022, 07:18   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
Issue after service:
My left side mirror is not getting auto down when I shift to reverse. I think it is mostly due to update of program control unit. I noticed it only after reaching home and parking the car. I raised it to SA and reminding him once in 2 days. He assured to check and comeback (for this issue and crack on eParking switch as well) but no resolution for last one week.
Check if the mirror adjustment toggle (L-R) switch is set to the correct side or not. In my 330i, it needs to be on the right side for the LHS mirror to swivel down in reverse gear.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:40   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
...In my 330i, it needs to be on the right side for the LHS mirror to swivel down in reverse gear.
Same in my X3 G01 . I don't use this feature for my usual parking place so keep the L-R switch disabled.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:47   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Same in my X3 G01 . I don't use this feature for my usual parking place so keep the L-R switch disabled.
Same here. I switch it on only when parking close to the kerb - BLR has these terrible irregular stone kerbs which are lethal for alloys.
Old 12th December 2022, 12:07   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Check if the mirror adjustment toggle (L-R) switch is set to the correct side or not. In my 330i, it needs to be on the right side for the LHS mirror to swivel down in reverse gear.
Perfect. It was on the left side in my X1 after service. After switching it to right side, now it is working Thanks.
vijayk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 13:04   #578
Senior - BHPian

Change of shoes: Made in India, Japanese shoes for German car.

After 54,300 kms, the original RFT (Bridgestone Turanza T001 and Pirelli P7 Cinturato) came to end of life. Had replaced 5 RFT under BMW Secure.

Current tyres started balding from inside. BMW Workshop blamed alignment issue. But I think it could be due to negative camber in BMW.

Tyre Make: Yokohama Earth1 225 55 R17
Cost: Rs 11,000/tyre
Mfg: 2823 (4th week of July 2023). Such fresh stock that you can smell rubber standing beside car.
Purchased from: Balaji Wheels Nerul Navi Mumbai. Yokohama Authorized shop.
Fitting: Rs 250/tyre for installation and balancing.
Alignment: BMW Workshop Rs 7080/-

Since I use X1 for touring where you find good, bad and no roads; so needed a tyre which can take a beating and have good driving dynamics.

Have been using Yokohama Earth1 on Hyundai Verna and have been happy with them. Zero punctures in 3 years and no issues whatsoever.

Plus Yokohama Earth1 now comes with 5 years Unconditional Warranty. That's like BMW Secure policy was another advantage.

BMW gave a quote of Rs 1.13 lakh for 4 RFT tyre including installation & alignment. I ended up spending Rs. 52,080 for 4 tyres including installation, balancing and alignment.

Since Yokohama also makes RFT tyres Advan series; the shop had RFT removal machine. So all done properly. Post installation of tyres, got alignment done at BMW Workshop. BMW refused to install outside tyres.

Immediate difference felt:
1. Car now feel more comfortable.
2. Steering lighten up by 5-10%
3. No more slight jerks when you come to full stop, which BMW attributed to FWD nature but was due to RFT tyres.
4. Can drive over bad roads with more ease as these tubeless tyres can take a beating.

Overall happy to finally move over to tubeless tyres.

Yokohama Earth1 Unconditional Warranty T&C.

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-yokohama-earth1.jpg

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 20th August 2023 at 13:06.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 10:41   #579
RJV

Having changed to tubeless in my own X1 at around 25000 kms, can say that this is one of the best decisions one can take on the X1. The overall ride just feels of a more premium vehicle.

Also Balaji Wheels at Nerul is good with their work. They have a Technician, his name is Mr. Bashir who is very good with his work.

Enjoy your ride !
Old 28th September 2023, 18:57   #580
BHPian

Hey, just wanted to check if any of you have a missing Multimedia knob sticker missing?

How did you guys solve it. Am unable to find it anywhere. Its just the top sticker which is missing, with the four arrows.
Old 21st March 2024, 10:09   #581
Senior - BHPian

I just purchased a 2016 F48 X1 s18d with 80000 km. This is my first European car, still getting used to the car, driving manners and mechanicals.

Yesterday I had the car on ramps and a detailed check of underbody, and found a part with a bit of oil on it. Checked the partsouq parts catelogue to see if I can identify that part, but in vain. Any help in identifying this part and if this oil leak is a major issue is appreciated. (Not the bottom dripping stains are not wet).

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-part-0.jpg
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-part-1.jpg
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-part-2.jpg

The other issue I am concerned with the car is an occassional sound from front when I hit a pothole or speed breaker at speed. Had a check at the suspension bushes, front suspension bump stops and engine mount ( 2 visible ones) and they seems to be ok. Could be subframe that is making the sound. Need to get it checked with a mechanic

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-parts-3-wheel.jpg

My brake discs rust overnight, where as the other 2 cars in the garage in the same environments never rust. This rust is probably the cause of a brake noise when braking at slow speed at morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks