Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2020, 22:22   #541
BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Guys, need some help deciding on the tire replacement. I’ve been on 225/50 R18 Pirellis for the last 4 years. One of the tires has had a few punctures and now has a sidewall cut so needs to be replaced. I’ve done about 28k so the rest of the tires still have some time left. I’m thinking of changing only the rear 2 for now and the other 2 after sometime.
My use is mostly in cities and priorities are ride quality and low noise, so not too keen to go with RFTs.
There aren’t too many options available in my tire size, except I think falken which none of the dealers around me seems to have. There is a dealer that is offering me a Yokohama for 11,500 (don’t know which series) but from the code I could figure that it’s a aug’19 tire so not pursuing it anyway. The dot code is 4UIN 6JJ 3519. Can you figure out the series from this?
I’m getting options in 235/50 R18 from dealers around me. Yoko C drive for 14k, continental for 14.8k and another one can get a Michelin primacy but don’t know the price yet (anybody here knows what should be the price)
I had a couple of questions:
1. Is it ok to go for 235/50R18. I checked on an online calculator and the variance seems to be within acceptable limits
2. Is it ok to go for an upsize for the rear 2 and maintain the old size in the front 2 for sometime. I’ll match the size after a while when it’s time to replace the other 2 as well. Other option is to replace all 4 right now and junk the old tires
3. Between the 3 options that I have, which one would meet my requirements the best - comfort and low noise
4. Should I still look around for falken if they’re comparable to these ones
5. Does the pricing for yoko c drive and conti’s look ok?
Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:56   #542
Senior - BHPian

28k is a good mileage for a performance oriented vehicle. I would change all four and junk the used ones. 😊

If the intent is to change only 2 and if the car is FWD, I would change the front tyres.

Michelin tyres with 235 width would be better preferred; try to get PS4.

All the best! Kindly update! 👍
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:52   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
There aren’t too many options available in my tire size, except I think falken which none of the dealers around me seems to have
Stock Pirelli have completed 35k kms and have started to deform heavily. I was in the same dilemma. Not many options available. Deciding to go with Falken since I’m getting a good deal. And they have this unconditional warranty.

Last edited by adi58 : 4th November 2020 at 21:55.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:51   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
28k is a good mileage for a performance oriented vehicle. I would change all four and junk the used ones. ��

If the intent is to change only 2 and if the car is FWD, I would change the front tyres.

Michelin tyres with 235 width would be better preferred; try to get PS4.

All the best! Kindly update! ��
Mine is an sdrive so FWD.
Even with the newer tyres being wider, you think I should replace the front 2?
225 width is just not available. Only options are 235/50 or 245/45. What do you think would be better

Last edited by fatsoboy : 5th November 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Typo
Old 5th November 2020, 12:55   #545
BHPian

In my opinion 235/50/18 is the perfect size for the X1.
Yakuza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:25   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
225 width is just not available. Only options are 235/50 or 245/45. What do you think would be better
235 width, so that it is within tolerance.

I suggest that the front tyres to be changed as it is FWD, if you are changing only two.

All the best. Please update!
Old 7th November 2020, 17:08   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
235 width, so that it is within tolerance.

I suggest that the front tyres to be changed as it is FWD, if you are changing only two.

All the best. Please update!
One more question as one more option
Any experience with yoko c drive zps. Apparently it's the rft version of same c drives. I'm getting a good deal on these
Old 7th November 2020, 20:05   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question as one more option
Any experience with yoko c drive zps. Apparently it's the rft version of same c drives. I'm getting a good deal on these
No experience with Yoko. But I can say Michelin tyres are good by experience.

But since you drive mostly in city, I would say that you can try tubeless. It will be more comfortable and economical too.

235/50 gives a higher sidewall than 225/50, which will improve ride quality.

All the best!
Old 8th November 2020, 03:57   #549
BHPian

Quote:
4. Should I still look around for falken if they’re comparable to these ones.
Maybe you can get the Falken from Pune. Call Pungliya Tyres. 9921595756. Maybe he can send them over to Mumbai. Never hurts to ask.
I can vouch for Falken confidently. I've been using them for 5K KMS without any complaints.
Old 8th November 2020, 10:11   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Maybe you can get the Falken from Pune. Call Pungliya Tyres. 9921595756. Maybe he can send them over to Mumbai. Never hurts to ask.
I can vouch for Falken confidently. I've been using them for 5K KMS without any complaints.
Hey thanks, but actually I moved to Delhi some time back. I guess my profile was still showing mumbai, have changed it now.

I did find falkens yesterday at one of the dealers for 12k. He also had these yoko c drive rft 235s and was giving for 12.5k. For a difference of 500 for yokos in 235 looked like a good deal to me. My worry is the harsh ride and noise. C drives are rated well but couldn't find too many reviews of the rft version online.
Old 8th November 2020, 10:58   #551
BHPian

I don't have very good experience with RFTs. Plus I feel they don't add any value. The concept of driving for 80km on a flat tyre - well each one of us will hook on the donut as soon as we detect a flat. Other factors such as burst at high speed - you drive in the city do you may not worry about that either.
Tubeless make the ride much more comfortable.
So if I were you, I would still go with falken irrespective of the price.
Old 25th November 2020, 13:37   #552
BHPian

Quote:
I've been using the 235/50 R18 Yoko C drive tubeless tyres for the past 3 years. Threw away the stock RFT in the first year thanks to a tyre burst (blessing in disguise).

Pros

1. Improved Ride quality. Having great riding European cars at home the ride quality of X1 on 18 inch RFTs was shocking on bad roads! I still don't know how people tolerate that. After the change with improved side wall, the ride is much better.

2. Better handling. I believe it's due to the added tyre width, car feels more stable.

3. Reduced torque steer. Yes I do get that at times, but less in frequency compared to stock RFTs. Torque steer looks fun on paper, but experiencing the same when executing an overtaking manoeuvre can be scary at times.

4. Reduced tyre noise. The road noise at higher speeds were greatly reduced after the swap. But I don't think the Yoko's are premium tyres and after clocking 25k kms, it's not as silent as it used to be when new. But still better than RFT.

5. Looks. With wider tyres, the X1 looks like a baby X5 rather than a compact SUV from a distance. Stance of the car is much better.

Cons

1. The steering feels a bit more tighter than with the 225 profile RFTs. Whether that's a positive or a negative depends on individual preferences.

So anyone having a confusion whether to swap the RFTs for a tubeless, just go for it. The rock hard ride & tyre noise on the stock RFTs is unacceptable on any car, and I always wonder how many drivers still survive on the stock RFTs. We would've sold the X1 if we didn't swap the RFTs. Our test drive before purchase was on decent roads and that hid the ugly nature of RFTs until we bought the car and started using it.

Attaching a few pics on my phone, though I'm not sure how much of a difference in tyre size can be perceived from the same. Sorry for the late reply too, have been busy and out of the forum for quite some time. My X1s battery gave up last week and that's when I logged in and saw your post. Hope this will be helpful for all the X1 owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_20190109_18063201.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_20180218_124501611_hdr01.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_20190414_0629020101_20201125132733904.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_20180812_122345016_hdr0101.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:50   #553
BHPian

I finally went with the yoko c.drive but the RFT version in 235/50 r18. Michelins were just not available. Falken were available in 225 but 2018 manufacturing and for some reason the dealer wasn't giving the bill & warranty. Didn't want to venture with falkens without warranty even though the reviews everywhere seem to be good.
The experience on the yokos has been good so far. Noise is definitely less and the ride quality also seems to be a little better. Could be because of the bigger walls or just that they are new tyres so still soft. Let's see how it goes.
I also read that after 20-25k these tyres become noisier and harder. I don't think I would be using them for 25k anyway. My usage is pretty low, done about 28k in last 4 years so I'm guessing I'll be selling off the car before I do another 25k.

Now there seems to be another problem with the car. There has been a mechanical sound from the engine bay when I put the car in reverse gear. Showed it to the FNG and they said that the belt adjuster and the engine mount needs to be replaced. Not sure if it's doing of the lockdown and the car being stationary for longish period but find it quite surprising that engine mount can give up so early. Have no clue what belt adjuster life should be. Any inputs would be appreciated if anybody has had similar experience.

Last edited by fatsoboy : 25th November 2020 at 13:57. Reason: Additional details
fatsoboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:09   #554

Bought the X1 sDrive 20d xLine in Jan 2020 and my insurance is up for renewal shortly.

Quick background:
- 1st-time luxury car buyer (if you classify the X1 to be a luxury vehicle).
- Couldn't drive beyond 5,000kms in the last 12 months due to Covid and WFH.
- Will be going in for my 1st service next month.
- Car being driven in city conditions with infrequent highway drives in areas surrounding Mumbai.

Question: Should I go for the BMW Secure program for the 2nd year (1st year came in free) - Is it worth the cost?
- Secure adding almost INR 30,000 to my insurance cost.
- Carried forward the 50% NCB from my previous car last year. Will get a 50% NCB even this year.
- Not very happy with the run-flats (tire noise + stiff ride), don't know whether I will replace my tires with run-flats again hence may never require the tread wear measure.

Thank you in advance
Old 23rd December 2020, 21:45   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp_morpheus View Post
Question: Should I go for the BMW Secure program for the 2nd year (1st year came in free) - Is it worth the cost?
- Secure adding almost INR 30,000 to my insurance cost.
If you plan to use car within city limits only; then don't go for BMW Secure. Only for touring and highway drives, BMW Secure makes sense.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks