Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 18:14   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Depending on what car you drive - it may not be a stupid idea provided you're driving in an area with good infrastructure should something untoward happen.....please keep the stepney in the vehicle always! .... tuning - I personally think that what the SA said is hogwash. I don't understand how better quality, more comfortable tyres would negatively impact suspension and ride in any manner...
This is my 7th car and I never ever touched the spare tire nor filled them before long drives, either forgetting about it or ignoring it ! But I always follow the crowd in keeping the tire in its right place, not yet convinced about its real use.

About the suspension : What I understood from the SA is that the suspension is tuned bit on the softer side because the RFTs have a harder construction compared to regular tires. So, it's complimenting each other in providing a softer ride. I have no clue on how a replaced tubeless in that place will influence the ride. May be it takes it to 'soft like a feather', someone who has done that should comment to understand it better
Old 17th October 2016, 18:17   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Same status quo with me as well ....I was thinking it is due to boot door not getting closed properly .... I too removed all luggage except spare wheel .... there was still rattling sound behind! Of late, there is no sound and we could not narrow the source yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Something which I forgot to mention in my previous post. There is a metal clanking noise from the boot or under the boot when its driven through broken patches, unpaved roads etc. It sounds like a loose screw-driver or similar tool hitting the metal every now and then. I tried to figure out by removing every luggage from our travel but could not find the source. Now I am planning to remove the spare tire and all the tools this weekend and see. Although I reported this to BMW, they said most vehicles have this issue on bad roads, which I find very surprising !!

I have not come across a similar issue on my Msport as yet. Could be something lying loose, maybe a closer evaluation will solve for it.
Old 18th October 2016, 13:08   #198
BHPian

Quote:
A total of 1400 kms of pure bliss. Mine is the SDrive and it never disappointed me at any points mentioned in your posts above.

Headlights with the fog-lamps did 100% justice to a situation like that. I was doing 80 to 100 kmph until Angamaly where the rain stopped.
Thanks for the updates shajufx. I was a bit worried about headlamps because x1 lacks bending lights. Glad to know they perform good. And I just realised Indian x1 lacks so many goodies in addition to my previous list like Harmon kardon speakers, front parking sensors, reverse cams, adaptive dampers etc.. AFAIK Msport too doesn't get Harmon kardon system. The number of speakers itself is different when you compare it to versions abroad. BTW your car looks beautiful in that blue shade. Especially with black grills. Enjoy your ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I am willing to live without a Sunroof. It's nice but I will probably not use it that much as I always drive my cars with AC all the time.

That's something that the tourists would probably be doing if they had sunroofs.

Basically the base model with paddle shifters, ambient lighting and leather seats would have been the ultimate package for me.

Finally it boils down to price. Just the paddle shifters will probably cost about 2 Lakhs at least. If I go with the alloys and paint It will come to around 4L. It then makes sense to just pay the 6L and go for the next model and also get the sunroof, ambient lighting and electrically folding seats.
Go for the Sdrive if you can stretch. My relative took delivery of the expedition recently and though the car is good value for money it's a lil low on the special feel. Piano black is used on so many areas so it doesn't stand out and is a finger print magnet. Lacks paddle shifts, launch control, Ambient lights, Y spoke alloys(I like it more than the other 2 alloys on offer), rear seat adjustment and also the sun roof. Roof lights looked too ordinary on an expensive car. And you guys are missing the point on the sun roof I would say. I don't think even I would open the sunroof for more than may be 10 days in a year. But the view that you get when you move out the shade is awesome. Especially in the X1 because it's a large single unit panoramic roof(unlike in the c class). And to add to that you can open it up in case you are tripping. Ambient lights also look great in the x1. So 6 lakhs is a significant difference but if you think about it, it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly - if you're happy with the Jetta stick around with it for a little more time and don't rush into an upgrade you're not fully satisfied with.
Since you're also open to sedans - why not look at the 320D with the massive discounts they have on offer (INR 9 - 10L off?)
Re: RFTs - do upgrade them. Though the newer tyres are much better than what we had on our E60 5 series, tubeless are still that much more better.
235 isn't a common size so availability may be difficult, but do get a set of good soft compound tyres (provided you don't drive much on poor roads - We've had no issues on 50 profile on the Skoda or with 18" rims on a friend's 530D except one needs to be a bit careful. The width of the vehicle was a bigger issue).
A good set of tyres will see road noise reduce and better ride + handling.
Thanks man. Well I'm satisfied with the x1 but these facts did catch my attention though. Gotta compromise somewhere finally isn't it? Well I'm not much into sedans actually. But the a4 with all the gizmos did excite me a bit. We have been using low slung cars until now so the preference this time was for cross overs. And that's why I was doubting whether I will have troubles with the ride quality later. My SA says there's no issue in changing the tyres as it's customers discretion. So may be I will go ahead with it. I had changed the Good years in my Jetta and Linea to Pirelli cinturatos and it did bring a difference in comfort and noise. So I hope a shift from RFT to softer tubeless tyres will bring a noticeable change in x1 s ride quality. Also the 225 section looks undertyred to me on the x1. Even the GLA comes with 235s. So incase there's no trouble with the warranty, I will upsize.

Here's a pic of the white x1 expedition that my relative bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-picsart_1476775421062.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 18:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
.... BTW your car looks beautiful in that blue shade. Especially with black grills. Enjoy your ride!
Here's a pic of the white x1 expedition that my relative bought.
Thanks buddy. I really love the white, it has a very elegant look compared to any other shade available on X1. But I opted for blue not to have 2 whites in the house
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:24   #200
BHPian

I drove the x1 yesterday again and finally booked xline Sdrive in Alpine white. The two areas where I wasn't very impressed is the short rear seats( for which I've found a fix) and a bit firmer ride which will be sorted when I shift the RFT's to tubeless tyres. Even though the q3 is said to have a better ride, we have to weigh in that it rides on 16 inch tubeless tyres where as the x1s on 18 inch RFTs. Except the above mentioned concerns in every other aspect this is one of the most practical BMWs and the best in this segment.

I loved the x1s steering this time. After the Lineas hydraulic unit this is one car where I could feel really confident in any speed. No it's not still very communicative, but in these times where cars are getting absolutely lifeless steering wheels the x1 did make me happy. Rock steady at any speed and add to that higher seating position.

Now here comes the dilemma. I felt that the 225 section tyres on 18 inchers as a bit undertyred. If I shift to 245/50 the odo reading difference will be 2.93% which means 100kph on the speedo would mean a real speed of 102kph. There are very few choices in 235/50 range but odo error will be lower in this case. So guys should I really upsize? The SA says there's absolutely no issue in changing tyres and there are customers who have already up sized and observed improvement in ride quality. The x1 will also look absolutely butch with wider shoes. He warned me against changing the rims and not tyres. For me the top priority will be ride comfort so would like to know how these things will get affected in case I'm upsizing. Since the odo reading changes, will it somehow affect the shift times, traction control, ESP systems etc.. Will the steering get too tight and finally how would it affect the ride? Also is there any way these odo errors can be adjusted using the OBD tool? How do car manufacturers calibrate these readings when a same car gets different tyre sizes? I will be swapping tyres as soon as I take delivery so as to extract maximum buy back value so experts please help me out.
Check out the wheel well which is still pretty much empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_20161021_122126684_hdr01.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2016, 14:46   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the x1 yesterday ...... Will the steering get too tight and finally how would it affect the ride? Also is there any way these odo errors can be adjusted using the OBD tool? How do car manufacturers calibrate these readings when a same car gets different tyre sizes? I will be swapping tyres as soon as I take delivery so as to extract maximum buy back value so experts please help me out.
Check out the wheel well which is still pretty much empty.
Congratulations. Looks like you booked the car from the new BMW dealer EVM. They have a very experienced Service Manager. Pauly Varghese. Do speak to him. In the BMW KSD, there is a wheel and tyre combination manager. It will recommend all suitable tyre sizes on your car.
Pick any of the sizes available without bothering about calibration etc.
Hope this helps.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:22   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Congratulations. Looks like you booked the car from the new BMW dealer EVM. They have a very experienced Service Manager. Pauly Varghese. Do speak to him. In the BMW KSD, there is a wheel and tyre combination manager. It will recommend all suitable tyre sizes on your car.
Thanks Beamerboy. Yeah I've booked the car with EVM autokraft and will try speaking to Mr.Pauly Varghese. I couldn't register on the BMW KSD. Don't know why so will have to try again.

As of now in case I'm upsizing I will stick to 235/50R18 tyres as the odo error will be just around 1.6%. That's the same tyre size on merc GLA so I hope it will look adequate too. Just being optimistic that such a small odo change wouldn't cause additional issues.

The only trouble is that tyre options are very few and I could only find Pirelli p1 as available in India in this range. Also I was surprised to see that X1 even on the higher variants(abroad) with 19 inch rims still use 225 section tyres. Isn't that a small tyre specification by premium car standards?

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 25th October 2016 at 13:25.
Old 25th October 2016, 20:38   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Beamerboy. Yeah I've booked the car with EVM autokraft and will try speaking to Mr.Pauly Varghese. I couldn't register on the BMW KSD. Don't know why so will have to try again.

The only trouble is that tyre options are very few and I could only find Pirelli p1 as available in India in this range. Also I was surprised to see that X1 even on the higher variants(abroad) with 19 inch rims still use 225 section tyres. Isn't that a small tyre specification by premium car standards?
For KSD, walk to the Service Advisor at the dealership and any SA worth his salt would be able to lead you through KSD. You don't have to register.

For 225 section tyres, it's the fleet emission norms that dictate the tyre sizes at times. Such is the state of things these days!
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 22:15   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Did anyone notice BMW has got rid of the cool joystick and is back to the old school gear lever! Wonder why?
This one actually has the display but not like the ones on the 3 & 5 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Extended warranty can definitely be bought separately. I suggest you send a mail to BMW, who will take care of the dealership.
Any idea of pricing? I know the first year is 33K. It progressively gets expensive for each additional year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
BMW's website claims that extended warranty cannot be ordered separately
No it can be bought separately.

Quote:
BMW dealership wants me to pay for the temporary registration at Chennai before moving the car to my city (Coimbatore) for permanent registration.
In Goa temporary registration costs Rs.1000/-.

Quote:
On top of this, BMW dealership has quoted Rs.42,000 for temporary registration at Chennai. When I checked the Tamilnadu RTO website (http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/rc1.html), it clearly says that the temporary registration costs around 2% of life time tax. Life time tax for X1 expedition works out to Rs.4,66,473 and I am not able to understand why I am supposed to pay a lot more than 2% (~Rs.9500) for temporary registration.
Will they give you a rebate on the Lifetime Tax equal to the amount you pay for Temporary registration since it will be in the same state?
Old 19th November 2016, 13:35   #205
BHPian

Finally got my x1 delivered on 17/11/16. Was too busy for the past two weeks so had to postpone delivery too. Very impressed with the car. Will put up a detailed review soon. EVM autokraft deserves a special mention here because this was one of the smoothest car purchases our family have ever made.

Just one confusion stands that's about whether I should be swapping the tyres. Dealer has assured me I can upsize to 235/50 tubeless tyres. The only option I have here is to shift to Yoko ac02( c drive 2). & seeing the ride quality on RFTs(which already is pretty good) I'm confused whether I should go for it. As of now sharpness is felt only at expansion joints and deep potholes. Since my running is low incase I don't shift to tubeless now, I will have to deal with RFTs for a significant period of the cars life too. Then there's risk of these tyres getting harder over a period of time. Swap will cost me around 26000 after exchange of older tyres. & I will have to wait for two weeks for the Yoko's to arrive. Service manager @ BMW isn't impressed with Yoko's.

Bhpians please guide me in weighing off the pros n cons of this swap. Will the TPMS throw off any tantrums due to this? If the Yoko tubeless doesn't offer a significant improvement over the Pirelli RFTs I will scrap the tyre swap plan.
& btw here are a few snaps taken on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x1.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x2.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x3.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x4.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x5.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x6.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x7.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x8.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x9.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x10.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-x11.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 20:12   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the car, looks like the X drive variant? Did you manage any discounts?
Old 9th December 2016, 19:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

X1 Receives best small SUV award !

The BMW X1 receives Car and Driver’s first-ever 10 Best Truck and SUV for 2017 in the Subcompact Luxury SUV category. BMW will accept the award at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, January 2017

Although the 10Best award has been issued for over three decades, the 10Best Trucks and SUVs is a new addition to the yearly Car and Driver evaluation and BMW is pioneering in this first-ever category with the new BMW X1.

Source
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 10:50   #208
Senior - BHPian

Sound system Upgrade

I am thinking of gifting myself for Xmas an audio upgrade for my X1 from Bavsound US. Mods, please move this post to the apt thread if its a misplacement here ! Love to hear back from people who are audio gurus, especially of luxury segments. And some feedback on duty, customs etc while getting speakers and audio accessories from US. They have lot of seasonal offers and free shipping right now !

Seller: https://www.bavsound.com/
Old 30th December 2016, 08:01   #209
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sound system Upgrade

Quote:
I am thinking of gifting myself for Xmas an audio upgrade for my X1 from Bavsound US. Mods, please move this post to the apt thread if its a misplacement here ! Love to hear back from people who are audio gurus, especially of luxury segments. And some feedback on duty, customs etc while getting speakers and audio accessories from US. They have lot of seasonal offers and free shipping right now !

Seller: https://www.bavsound.com/
Damn, you beat me to it. I just copied the Bavasound link and was about to post it along with my query and what do I see? Exactly what I wanted to ask.

I had checked out the X1 some time back and totally forgot to check out the Audio as I was in a hurry. So I went to the showroom 3 days ago to do exactly that along with my trusted pen drive with my favourite music (mostly country). To be fair, the stock audio is not bad at all. Quite decent. But I had seen the 328i some years ago and that audio system was really nice. What the dealer told me is that only the higher variants of some models come with Harman Kardon Audio. Rest are all BMW Professional and the speakers are sourced from Alpine. Earlier the BMW Professional units were sourced from Harman Kardon and Blaupunkt.
For about 1.16 L BMW offers an upgrade with new speakers and an amp. Warranty is not affected with this upgrade since it's official. However the dealer told me not to waste money on it. The did it for one of the customers (320D) and he was so disappointed that he wanted to return it.
Old 30th December 2016, 08:45   #210
BHPian

So after many months of deliberation and consideration finally booked a X1. there was a tough fight in the end between Q3 and X1, but X1's space and feel made it for me. though Q3 was also very close since the price with discount was very attractive. next began the dilemma between the expedition and the sDrive. currently booked a expedition let the mind win over heart this time. will take delivery in the 2nd week of Jan mostly.

Just a question, has any one changed the tyres and feed back of the same. I have gone through all the threads while there has been talks about the change I did not see any feedback on some one who has actually changed.

Last edited by nvluv : 30th December 2016 at 08:46.
nvluv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks