Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 18:46   #16
BHPian

re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I am in a Fix, Or, Should I say I am too eager to press the panic button now. I purchased Ecosport Diesel last year and have covered 20k KM's in last 13 Months.
I would say keep it. At this rate, you will cross 100K kms in 5 years. Think about me, I purchased an XUV500, with a planned run of not more than 5- 6K a year! Needed a 6 seater, and the Ertiga (only decent option available in petrol) just did not cut it for me

I got mine in March 2016, and am wondering if I should sell it, if I get 90% of what I paid
Old 18th July 2016, 18:48   #17
BHPian

re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Truly Illogical! I have a 2005 Nissan Xtrail, immaculately maintained and serviced properly. Seeing all this hoopla we decided to sell it last year; outside of the NCR obviously. Every broker we contact for the sale of the car tells us that the govt. is not even issuing NOC certificates for the sale. I’m baffled by this statement all around and do not understand where to turn to. Any suggestions would be welcome.
akp666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 18:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is seriously hair brained attempt. Does this ban include commercial vehicles also? I dont think so. The unions would have been up in arms by now. But no union for the common man. So, turn the screws on them
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:12   #19
BHPian

I have a 12 year old Scorpio. It's in such good condition that I did a 2400 kms trip to Spiti (Worst roads in the world) last month without a problem.
I was hoping to keep it for another 3 years as it is a completely well maintained and trouble free vehicle.
I just spent 16K last week to replace the headlights (They were turning yellow) and to get the plastic cladding and bumpers painted as they were fading.
It is a complete shocker for me to discard such a well maintained car.

Last edited by Styler : 18th July 2016 at 19:13.
Styler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I think it will take at least 3-4 years for this rule to get implemented throughout India
May not be the case, the NGT is perfectly capable of replicating the order overnight across all metros. They have already asked for and received(?) pollution data from 8 states.

NGT asks states to submit worst-hit cities’ pollution data in three weeks
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52529458.cms

Delhi can be replicated with one stroke of a pen!

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th July 2016 at 19:13. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:24   #21
BHPian

The way it is going I am for sure not buying a diesel in future. I am in fact very scared that I may not even be able to use my pristine condition Honda City petrol beyond 15 years. Its like this, they are targeting diesels today. Tomorrow it may happen to Petrols . Anything can happen when there is no reasoning being followed.

Cars are expensive. Even if I can afford to change a vehicle sooner, I do not want to do it. Here I am being forced. And the refund of road tax will actually be peanuts compared to replacement cost.

Off topic but let me say this. I am certain that a decade down the lane we will own fewer cars then today ( Uber effect ) . This in spite of having parking available within my home compound.

Last edited by manishkapadia : 18th July 2016 at 19:26.
manishkapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:46   #22
BHPian

I am pretty sure this will get challenged in court. One can very easily challenge the logic behind this decision by showing a valid PUC for their more than 10yr old car.
The ball will then be in the lawmakers' court to show how that car isn't eligible to drive on the road.
rdst_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:50   #23
BHPian

I think this thread is a bit misleading. NGT had already banned 10 year old diesel vehicles in and around Delhi last year. It was subsequently challenged in Supreme Court which turned down the appeal to revoke the ban. Delhi Govt. had approached NGT saying that it was only RTO who can implement the ban and not the police.

So, NGT has passed another order to "de-register" vehicles older than 10 years to ensure a more effective implementation of the earlier order.
Note that, last year, NGT had also banned diesel vehicles more than 10 years in Kerala's 6 cities.

Source : http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi/...PuOEEbOmJ.html
sukhoi30 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I am in a Fix, Or, Should I say I am too eager to press the panic button now. I purchased Ecosport Diesel last year and have covered 20k KM's in last 13 Months. Looking at the diesel's dismal future and low resale value for my car I am thinking about selling it. Would it be wise to do so, or wait ?

If I do hold it, will it be possible to sell the car outside the NCR in future ? What would be the implications for doing the same ?
Why worry so early on? You can enjoy your Ecosport for at least nine more years!
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I can't believe this has gone this far. Even if you accept the NGT's incorrect statement that ten year old diesels are the worst polluters, this sort of order cannot be upheld.

Want to get rid of old cars, fine! You have to compensate the owners by buying the cars from them and scrapping them. The buyback value has to exceed the market value of the car and the scheme should be voluntary.

Doing it in any other way is plain wrong.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:59   #26
BHPian

I surely don't think that we've seen the last of this issue. Remember how the Kerala high court put a stay on a similar order passed by the NGT.
What really irritates me is why do we have 2 authorities passing judgments In this regard
The supreme court has issues with 2,000 cc+ diesel vehicles and the NGT has issues with all 10+ year old diesel vehicles.

Also, I don't understand why the NGT is in such a hurry. Our honorable transport minister Sri Nitin Gadakari has mentioned that he's aggressively pushing for the vehicle scrapping policy to be implemented, by which, the owners have the choice of scrapping their old BS-1 or BS-2 vehicles in exchange of new vehicles for a good discount. This would automatically result in phasing out of the older vehicles.
He's also mentioned that BS-6 will be implemented by 2020 and the infrastructure will be scaled up in order to curb pollution, this will ensure that diesel emission standards are in line with that in place for petrol cars.
Now these are the logical and result oriented methods to curb pollution.
In fact, he also mentioned that such a blanket ban is unethical as people in India take considerable loans to purchase a car, and for several, its a lifetime achievement. Banning a vehicle after just 10 years regardless of its condition is completely illogical and would put a huge strain on the finances of such vehicle owners.
Even our honorable defense minister Mr. Parrikar has rubbished such blanket and illogical bans.

Clearly, the government is not in favour of such measures, not one bit. It's the great NGT which suffers from an identity crisis and wants to make its presence felt from time to time. What better way than this!
greatgyan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:30   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Now I am in a total fix. I own a Fiesta Diesel which was purchased in 2006 and have clocked around 1.2 lakh kms on the odo till date and I have never missed the service intervals. I was contemplating on buying a Creta Diesel. Although the NGT rule is not applicable in Bangalore at the moment, will it be wise for me to buy a diesel car again ? With the environment regulations changing, I am sure there will be a total ban on Diesel cars in a few years to come. Now I am totally confused what to do
10 year rule favor the manufactures as most of these would be diesel CVs who do not have any other option but to buy a new car. Car companies have invested a lot for Diesel and banning of diesels would be an economical disaster. Buy whatever you wish to, can't see any rule disrupting a sub 2 ltr. diesel sale for long.
Old 18th July 2016, 21:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

I still don't get what authority the NGT has. Who gave them the power to issue orders? They might be an independent body responsible for preventing environmental degradation, but I laugh at their orders (they are all amusing). They should conduct proper scientific studies and submit recommendations to the SC. The SC should direct the government to based on the feasibility of recommendations.

Much has been said about conducting proper pollution checks.

But these things have to talked about:

1. I think the government should also consider how much waste scrapping of old cars will create as no market (in Africa) is going to buy them.
2. Also, manufacturing new cars will cause a lot pollution.
3. What financial benefits can be given to owners of old cars ?
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 21:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This is seriously hair brained attempt. Does this ban include commercial vehicles also? I dont think so. The unions would have been up in arms by now. But no union for the common man. So, turn the screws on them
Center is requesting to expect the commercial vehicles.
Imagine the impact this might have on car design. Why build a vehicle which can last for 15 or 20 years? Instead build something which will probably start crumbling by 9th year! Who knows, that might bring down the costs which will be the silver-lining.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 21:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Turkey resisted an attempt by an unelected force that thinks it is superior to the will of the people as expressed through parliament to take the reigns of power. Unfortunately, even though we think we live in a democracy, the reigns of power in India have been taken over by an unelected, self appointed bunch of judges, who do what they feel like irrespective of their powers under the Indian constitution. Time for the Indian Parliament to unitedly disavow the verdict of the Supreme Court in the Judges Appointment case, and replace the current set of judges with people who recognise the limits of their power under the constitution.
Hayek is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks