Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 18:01   #121
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Despite being a car enthusiast, I am all for the environment. However, this decision is ...
I may be speculating, but this may indirectly be related to a very strong car lobby that has been able to persuade (or well bribe) somebody to take this decision. Think of the amount of money they'll be able to mint with this decision. I really have lost hope because of these irrational knee-jerk reactions.
I do agree with you on the hidden agenda and believe that there is more to it than meets the eye.

Because, if x people have to commute y km daily, then the total xy kms/day do not get reduced at all. May be a marginal reduction in pollution (if that is technically verified).

One of the ways this pollution issue can be holistically addressed is to drastically improve public transport. Otherwise these are just knee-jerk reactions without proper analysis of the impact. In fact, the NGT should come up with a plan spread over 3-5 years where priorities are laid out and all the stake-holders, ie private car-owners, auto-manufacturers and public transport companies can jointly address the pollution issues in a phased-manner.
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 18:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
In the meantime, it seems our makers are badly hurt by us customer's plight! Look what they are doing!
Either web site is hacked or hey are doing too much of copy-paste!
Old 20th July 2016, 19:14   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Doesn't anyone get a doubt that the car manufacturers may have a hand in this ruling. It will most definitely encourage people to change their oil burners as soon as possible - across the country. And then who stands to gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I may be speculating, but this may indirectly be related to a very strong car lobby that has been able to persuade (or well bribe) somebody to take this decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
I do agree with you on the hidden agenda and believe that there is more to it than meets the eye.
A scenario which could very well be possible. Remember the great American Streetcar scandal? For the uninitiated, here is a summary.

Quote:
in the 1920s automaker General Motors (GM) began a covert campaign to undermine the popular rail-based public transit systems that were ubiquitous in and around the country’s bustling urban areas. At the time, only one in 10 Americans owned cars and most people traveled by trolley and streetcar.

Within three decades, GM, with help from Standard Oil, Firestone Tire, Mack Truck and Phillips Petroleum, succeeded in decimating the nation’s trolley systems, while seeing to the creation of the federal highway system and the ensuing dominance of the automobile as America’s preferred mode of transport.
Apart from that, the worst thing about Indian administration is that judgements don't give any timeframe for adjustment. If you give people time to adjust, like laws in the EU do, with proper scrappage policies etc. people will happily shift. But instead, the judiciary wants to thump its chest, and thus, this judgement has immediate effect. Instead of taking this shortcut, they should have made pollution checking more stringent each year. But that involves work like simplifying processes and increasing capacity which of course, we Indians do not like to do.
Old 20th July 2016, 20:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
The National Green Tribunal on Wednesday asked to carry out deregistration of diesel vehicles in Delhi 15 to 10 years old in a phased manner, while barring entry of such trucks with national permits in Delhi-NCR.
The green panel said that diesel vehicles which are 15- years-old should be de-registered first and will not get No Objection Certificate (NOC) for plying outside Delhi-NCR.

Only de-registered diesel vehicles which are less than 15-years old can get NoC for plying in select areas outside Delhi-NCR to be decided by states where vehicle density is less.

“All diesel vehicles which are more than 15 years old and are BS-I, BS-II shall be scrapped and no NOC for transfer of such vehicles will be issued.

“Heavy vehicles including trucks with national permits will not be permitted to enter Delhi, but allowed to bypass Delhi through alternate routes” a bench headed by justice Swatanter Kumar said as it clarified its earlier order directing the Delhi government to cancel the registration of all diesel-powered vehicles which are more than 10 years old from plying in the city.

“We make it clear that de-registration of diesel vehicles shall be complied with effectively without any default. However, registration authorities are directed to start the process with reference to oldest vehicles first, that is, diesel vehicles which are 15-year-old should be de-registered first,” the bench said.

The clarification came after additional solicitor general Pinky Anand and advocate Balendu Shekhar, appearing for Ministry of Heavy Industries, told the bench that food supply chain has been affected by the tribunal’s order.

“I am appearing for people of Delhi who have been hit by ...
Read more at the Hindustan times article

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2016 at 15:17. Reason: Adding a clickable source
Old 20th July 2016, 21:35   #125
Senior - BHPian

Too much of theoretical directives which are impossible to achieve within a short span in reality. These steps should 've been implemented first before rolling out the orders on the ban. Also how far the order will stand in front of resistance from the commercial transportation sector, remains to be seen.
Old 21st July 2016, 09:32   #126
BHPian

I have a conspiracy theory. Perhaps this is a way for the government to make us consumers buy petrol cars instead of diesel cars thereby decreasing the amount of subsidy they have to shell out for diesel fuel.
Old 21st July 2016, 09:34   #127
BANNED

Now some confusion. The NGT is now saying 15 years, with progressive reduction of 10-15 year old cars!
Old 21st July 2016, 09:37   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I have a conspiracy theory. Perhaps this is a way for the government to make us consumers buy petrol cars instead of diesel cars thereby decreasing the amount of subsidy they have to shell out for diesel fuel.
Your conspiracy theory is a bit misguided. There hasn't been any subsidy paid by the government on diesel for almost two years ever since global crude prices tanked and I read somewhere that this 10 year ban is unlikely to significantly reduce the demand for diesel according to omc's. Infact the demand for petrol and diesel is growing rapidly in India a trend that is likely to continue in future.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

I have a deep rooted question after reading the news paper article too posted a couple of posts above.

1) I paid 15 years road tax, I am eligible to drive atleast for 15 years the same car I paid road tax for. Who is anyone to change this promise which was made earlier?

2) IF the promise is changed, how am I being compensated for it? Why is no one talking about the 5 years of road tax that needs to be repayed back. The Green Tribunal said phased manner, okay, so are they going to wait for a 10 year old car to turn 15 and then deregister it? Have we elected NGT ? No, How can they dictate such an important aspect of my life by arm twisting?

3) Thirdly, how can some grand size decisions be taken with a flick of a button kind of ruling? Its a car, not a toothbrush they are asking people to dispose.

4) The government should pay residual value of the car to the consumer according to market price and buy it off from him if they want him to stop plying it, otherwise its a scam of epic proportions which Government/Green tribunal and car manufacturers have hatched together which points towards we heading towards a dictatorship. There should be a case filed against the government as well as the green tribunal for this and asked to prove their point about 10 year old diesel cars vs brand new ones polluting more.

5) I for once am going to do my bit by posting my 8 year Swift Diesel's pollution readings even though I am in Mumbai and not affected by this scam. Let's start comparing readings for cars of various years and age which are available with us Bhpian's and show these numbskulls the reality.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Your conspiracy theory is a bit misguided. There hasn't been any subsidy paid by the government on diesel for almost two years ever since global crude prices tanked and I read somewhere that this 10 year ban is unlikely to significantly reduce the demand for diesel according to omc's. Infact the demand for petrol and diesel is growing rapidly in India a trend that is likely to continue in future.
It may not be Govt may not be paying subsidy on diesel anymore but they are collecting far lesser taxes on diesel than petrol, both central and state governments.

It is another matter that the ruling has come from NGT and not govt.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:55   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Or could be the auto manufacturers trying to improve sales by forcing scapping of older vehicles!!!!
Old 21st July 2016, 12:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
How about they start returning the 5 years of road tax first which is paid extra while collecting road tax of 15 years.

Most illogical and uneducated government ever in Indian history.
instead there should be strict emission norms for vehicles, testing should be thorough. and vehicles failing the PUC test should be declared unfit.

or there could be a cap on number of km a vehicle should run to be fit.

the registration norms should be changed effectively for new vehicles first.

what if there is a vehicle 13 years old, better fit, emitting less no2 and what not compared to a 5 year old one.
Old 21st July 2016, 14:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

Diesel vehicles over 15 years old to be scrapped in Delhi-NCR

In-line with their earlier jurisdiction of cancelling registrations of all diesel vehicles over 10 years old in Delhi-NCR, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has now issued an order to first de-register all more than 15-year-old vehicles, and those that comply with BS-1 and BS-2 standards. The NGT has further decided to ban sales of Delhi registered diesel vehicles that are more than 15 year old, anywhere in India.

NGT has asked the Delhi RTO to not issue NOCs for any of these vehicles, thus denying permission to sell them anywhere in India. As a result, owners have been left with no other option but to scrap their Delhi-NCR registered vehicles that are over 15 year old. Vehicles that are 10-15 year old can be sold outside Delhi-NCR, in designated places where vehicle density and pollution levels are low.

The NGT still stands on its decision to de-register all diesel vehicles over 10 years old in Delhi-NCR. But the authorities have been asked to carry out this deregistration process in a phased manner, starting with vehicles that are more than 15 years old.

Source: Times of India
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 14:26   #134
BHPian

I am really curious if these new rulings of NGT against diesel vehicles are as well applicable to the govt. buses and other govt. vehicles that are 10/15 years old. I will really appreciate if anyone can throw some light on this.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 15:00   #135
BHPian

There should be a comprehensive law, down stream channels (scrap handling) and a complete recycling industry (including rare earth metal extraction) in this context.

This will help in several areas - safer vehicles, green environment, reuse / recycyle etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks