Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 11:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
As Viwsanathan said, these people think they know everything, just because they happened to know law and having an intent to curb pollution doesnt mean that they can take insane decisions like this. If anyone in NGT had known the basics of the working of modern engines, at least if he/she has driven and maintained his/her car rather than getting chauffeured around would not have agreed to this. I think limiting number of cars per family (for domestic use), promoting car pooling within family/co-workers and strict emission checks would have helped. Maintaining roads without Potholes/Bottlenecks and developing the State Public Transport to enable everyone to commute conveniently, is far more important than bid to host olympics in 2024.
I am sure none of them would even know how an IC engine works. I think they follow the "Monkey see Monkey do" principle. Is there any way someone can shut down this NGT circus? While I do support the rationale behind the judgement, passing it without even studying the consequences is something which I cant digest. And, what's more irritating is why isn't the central or state gov't speaking or taking a stance on this?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 20th July 2016 at 11:52.
Old 20th July 2016, 12:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
....And, what's more irritating is why isn't the central or state gov't speaking or taking a stance on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Somebody is set to gain a lot from all these scare being generated in the market by NGT.....
What is more surprising is the Central/State govt. being weirdly quiet about all these disturbance in the market!
In all probability there is a bigger picture behind all these mess. Probably that would be clear to the 'common public' after a certain time period. Needless to mention, the uncertainty would affect the buyers, segment of manufacturers and at the ground level, workers associated with this industry.
Old 20th July 2016, 12:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Is that the PUC check ?
I dont know if the PUC allowed levels are equal to BS4 norms. I tend to believe it is not, how else would BS3 cars get a certificate. Unless that is done, we cannot ensure that the PUC checking is going in the right direction.

This is, after ensuring that PUC check is religiously executed.
As far as I know, the PUC checks are BS specific. That is the pollution criteria for BS-I, BS-II, BS-III and BS-IV are different. So are they for Petrol and Diesel vehicles. In effect there are at least 8 different norms for Pollution in vehicles.
Old 20th July 2016, 13:01   #109

Quote:
Diesel vehicles which are 15 years old should be de-registered first, the NGT has said.
RTO Delhi to issue NOCs to de-registered diesel vehicles, which can be driven in areas with less vehicle density: NGT
All diesel vehicles which are more than 15 years old and are BS-I, BS-II to be scrapped and no NOC will be issued, says NGT.
NGT directs DDA to provide land for parking of de-registered diesel vehicles.
Source
Old 20th July 2016, 13:05   #110
BHPian

I had a look at the composition of the NGT. Not surprisingly, it does not include even a single member who may have any expertise in analyzing and mitigating air pollution. The only people involved are Judges and IAS officials. I wonder how this kind of a knee jerk reaction could ever be scientifically justified.
I think these recommendations are a reflection of the inability to think of something useful- like making smart tags to track pollution worthiness at toll booths. The team does not have the capability nor the mindset to look beyond the decades old bias against Diesels and old cars.
Old 20th July 2016, 13:09   #111
BHPian

Well, this is a bit silly. Most new vehicles have the OBD II port, all they have to do is ensure the hazard lights switch on if the car pollution comes to a certain point. This will let others know the car is a polluting car, and embarrass the owner into getting it rectified.

If that's too hard to do, with Bluetooth tech - one can monitor the details of the car at signals.. the details broadcast could be car number, and the pollution levels. When a car passes a preset level, it can trigger off an alert to the nearest cop for a fine.

Anyway, what do I know.. I just use technology, not make it..
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 14:26   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I had a look at the composition of the NGT. Not surprisingly, it does not include even a single member who may have any expertise in analyzing and mitigating air pollution. The only people involved are Judges and IAS officials. I wonder how this kind of a knee jerk reaction could ever be scientifically justified.
that should tell you that they are just a strawman body built to take the blame. This is an unpopular decision to make, and these people just make shock value statements from time to time

But what should worry everyone is, that as the body is not backed by any scientific or technical prowess, they are just doing as they are told to do by someone. There is a face behind this case and that face doesn't want to be exposed publically.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:01   #113
BHPian

I believe early this afternoon, the NGT passed a revised order that diesel vehicles which are 15 years old and more, and which are also BS1 or BS2, will be banned. Further, no NOCs will be issued by Delhi RTOs for these vehicles.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:13   #114
BHPian

Looks like people started responding to the issue. Read Here.

Some interesting info from the article:

Quote:
"There has been no thought given over the disposal of vehicles, which may actually end up being registered in other cities. Also, will people be refunded road tax for the remaining five years which was collected from them at the time of the purchase?" asked a senior functionary at one of the major car companies. "The NGT order may also end up causing harassment, and possibly corruption, on account of police action to identify 10-year-old diesel vehicles."
Quote:
"A recent study by IIT-Kanpur had shown that cars contribute only around 2 per cent to the pollutants. What about the other 98 per cent contributors and should they not be a focus area?" he asked. "Don't just target vehicles."
NGT needs a fix first ! And quite interesting that the political parties/leaders are not getting involved much or adopted a wait and watch policy ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 20th July 2016 at 15:16.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:23   #115
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is 15 years now.
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/no-no...ome-topstories
@mods, please change the title to reflect this.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 15:36   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
, But what does this mean for a person with a 11 year old car?

And, as I had mentioned WAY back, hell needs to freeze over for tax to be returned, once gone.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
, But what does this mean for a person with a 11 year old car?

And, as I had mentioned WAY back, hell needs to freeze over for tax to be returned, once gone.
I think what they have said is that vehicles at 10 years or above (till 15) will get de-registered and be entitled to receive NOC for transfer to another states. For vehicles above the age of 15 years- its straight to the scrapyard and no NOC will be issued.

Rohan
Old 20th July 2016, 15:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

The flipflops are quite amusing, really! The 15 years cut-off should 've been at the first place logically keeping in mind the tax duration! Would like to see how DDA complies with the directive of providing a space for the de-registered vehicles.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 15:45   #119
BHPian

One point which needs further clarity is whether this will be an on-going process. So the RTO generate a list every morning listing the diesel vehicles which are older by 10 years or more on that day and then de-register them? Or is this just a one time practice for now.

Perhaps they could generate a list on a monthly basis or quarterly basis listing the diesel cars which are older by 10 years or more from that date. Not sure what the practice is going to followed be here, anyone come across any article which clarifies this, please do share.
greatgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 16:25   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

In the meantime, it seems our makers are badly hurt by us customer's plight! Look what they are doing!
Attached Thumbnails
July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old-dna-news.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks