Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 18:52   #181
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshusharma View Post
Currently the price difference (petrol - diesel) in delhi is ~ 10/-. But when i did my calculation, diesel suited me better considering my daily run...

.. i dont know how much to wait. But i guess i have to take a plunge in either to go ahead and buy the diesel car, come what may or change to a petrol car and get rid of this NGT nightmare at once.

yesterday i was thinking exactly the same thing to take a decision before the green tax or cess or something else is implemented.
Just a wild thought, you might want to consider a well-maintained pre-owned diesel - for the moment ?
Old 28th July 2016, 19:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, but just to cross link with another topic running currently on the forum, will the GST, if implemented, not make a strong proposition to wait for a next car purchase. This, considering the current system of ED / Cess / CST / LST / etc. all getting capped and prices coming down?
The whole range of add-on costs will not be affected by GST
. Road Tax - a single all India rate is still a wishful thought
. Environmental Cess for Diesel vehicles - may come in early on, especially if they implement that for larger Diesels in Delhi
. Various Central cess declared by Government. They may be 1/4% or 1/2% each but add up quite fast, especially if they are levied on ex-show room price.
Old 29th July 2016, 18:37   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Government tells NGT that there is no legal provision given in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 (as amended in 2015), under which vehicles which are more than 15 years old and are BS I/II compliant can be scrapped.

The Ministry also made it clear that the tribunal’s orders of July 18 and July 20, in which it had directed the Delhi government to cancel the registration of all diesel-powered vehicles which are more than 10-year-old from plying in the city, was in “contravention” of the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.

Affidavit filed by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises before the NGT, which will come up for hearing on August 2nd:

Quote:
At present no legal provisions exist under which diesel vehicles which are more than 15 years old and are BS I or BS II compliant could be scrapped.

It is apprehended that forcible scrapping of vehicles done in compliance of the Tribunal’s order may give rise to innumerable writ petitions by affected vehicle owners, in various courts leading to wastage of precious time of these courts and such an order would amount to penalizing the motor vehicles owners who have complied with the law of the land.

There is no provision in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 as amended in 2015 or any rule made thereunder that has been violated by the motor vehicles whose registration has been ordered to be cancelled.

There is already a mechanism in place to allow only those motor vehicles to ply on road that comply with the requirement of having a valid PUC certificate.
Financial Express
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 23:49   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, the supposed ex lawman is shown the law. Still one wonders why it took the government so long to respond. Gauging the mood, were we?
I hope we have stringent puc checks, at least.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 12:56   #185
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Government must have been gauging the public will reaction to NGT orders. Now that they have been pointed to the Legality of the situation, I guess even the ban on 2000+cc diesels will go.

My fond hope is that NGT will try to be more rational and scientific in recommending steps to curb pollution and not just jump in the fray with more hair brained ideas.

It is high time that Indian authorities evaluated each vehicle model's pollution load based on scientific facts rather than populist views of NGO vigilantes who have no basis in their crusade against various issues, be it fast food or vehicle pollution or any issue that can increase their TRP.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 16:44   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Affidavit filed by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises before the NGT, which will come up for hearing on August 2nd:
Finally Govt of India get's it act together..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My fond hope is that NGT will try to be more rational and scientific in recommending steps to curb pollution and not just jump in the fray with more hair brained ideas.

It is high time that Indian authorities evaluated each vehicle model's pollution load based on scientific facts rather than populist views of NGO vigilantes who have no basis in their crusade against various issues, be it fast food or vehicle pollution or any issue that can increase their TRP.
Well said Aroy. The whole 2000cc decision smacks of communist ideals, Targetting the so called big diesel SUVs. What these fools don't realize is that the basic utility vehicles used by the common man such as Tavera, Innova, Bolero, Sumo etc are all above 2000 CC.

I too feel something needs to be done, but tackle the problem more scientifically and not with the whims and fancies of a single judge.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 15:04   #187
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Deregistration of 15-year-old diesel vehicles begins

As part of its plan to curb rising pollution levels in the national capital, the Delhi Government has started deregistering all diesel vehicles in the state that are more than 15 years old. The government estimates that around two lakh vehicles will be affected by this drive.

In July 2016, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) had asked the Delhi Government to deregister all diesel vehicles over 10 years old. It was later decided that the process will be executed in a phased manner, starting from vehicles over 15 years old.

Pollution levels in Delhi and NCR have touched an all-time high as residents have been complaining about suffocation, breathing problems, and itching in the eyes. The city has been engulfed in smog since Diwali, thus putting pressure on the government to take stringent steps in this regard. The sudden rise in pollution levels is being attributed to farm fires in the neighbouring states of Haryana and Punjab. However, various agencies have also pointed towards rising vehicular emissions and Diwali crackers as the reason behind the surge in pollutants in the air.

The Lt. Governor of Delhi recently headed a meeting of government officials and municipal corporation executives, in which the said decision to start phasing out old diesel vehicles from the city was taken. Schools in Delhi and NCR have been closed for three days, while all construction and demolition activities too have been halted for the time being.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 8th November 2016 at 15:11.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 15:34   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Delhi: Deregistration of 15-year-old diesel vehicles begins

As part of its plan to curb rising pollution levels in the national capital, the Delhi Government has started deregistering all diesel vehicles in the state that are more than 15 years old. The government estimates that around two lakh vehicles will be affected by this drive.
Will 15 year old commercial vehicles also get de-registered?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2016 at 14:46. Reason: Typo.
Old 8th November 2016, 17:42   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Will 15 year old commercial vehicles also get de-registered?
Yes, they are de registering the commercial vehicles first.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2016 at 14:46. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 9th November 2016, 15:49   #190
BHPian

Hi Guys

I have a Delhi registered 2002 July OHC Vtec and the registration is valid till July 2017. Any idea if i can get NOC from RTO and sell it outside NCR or all vehicles including petrols more than 15 years old have to be scrapped.
Old 24th November 2016, 22:27   #191
BANNED

Guys in the NCR, can someone please confirm the duration of registration validity on new diesel vehicles? Maruti guys are saying 15 whereas VW states 10 years.
Old 17th December 2016, 19:52   #192
BHPian

With the NGT ban diesel vehicles in NCR can only be used for 10 years, which means resale value is going to take a big hit.

A question to all people residing in NCR, would you switch your preference from diesel to petrol now?

I am in market for a new car and most of my shortlisted cars are diesel ones.

I plan to keep car for at least 7 years, but post that the usable life would be reduced to just 3 years, and it would be a big headache to dispose off the car. Is it a good idea to switch to petrol cars and also save some money and environment in process?

Fuel efficiency is not high on my priority list, but wanted to experience the torquey diesel engine for better city driving.
Old 17th December 2016, 21:03   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ntrol-4429410/

Can anyone interpret this and clear the clash between the NGT order and the ministry's stand?
Old 18th December 2016, 09:23   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Is it a good idea to switch to petrol cars and also save some money and environment in process?

Fuel efficiency is not high on my priority list, but wanted to experience the torquey diesel engine for better city driving.
Yes it is a good idea to switch to petrol cars, so why not buy one which has the torque of a diesel?

Polo GT tsi it has to be, particularly when fuel efficiency is not high on your priority list. And if you have the money several high end cars come into play.
Old 7th January 2017, 22:59   #195
BANNED

@ born_free, could not agree more with you on the resale part. Having shortlisted Figo D, Strome & the Ameo D initially, now I am on the verge of booking the Jazz. Resale shall take a big toll with this implementation. The question I have is, after 10 years, can the car registration be renewed for another 5 years ? Anyone with an answer to this ?

Last edited by Torquedo : 7th January 2017 at 23:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks