Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2006, 14:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Somehow, the routes we take everyday seem to cover the entire city of Chennai, don't they?
Do agree that I do not travel the whole of Madras daily. But then how many do that on a daily basis ? I travel close to 30kms a day from Central Madras to the Southern end and I look out for cars - esp. new ones, ones that I like etc. If I have seen only one on the roads since the time the Verna was launched, and if Verna is all over the roads, as claimed, there is a problem somewhere.

This is not to say that the Hyundai figures are wrong or a propaganda or something. Its just that I did not find visual evidence to support the claim.

P.S.: Elantra is supposed to have bombed in the market. But I see quite a few of them on the roads - sometimes even 2 at a time.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th October 2006 at 14:39.
Old 17th October 2006, 14:39   #62
BHPian

SIAM has an article taken from "Asian Age" newspaper. Does SIAM post sales figures of its own? Well, nothing of that sort can be seen in their website. It tells that Hyundai has increased the production of Verna frm 2500 to 3000 per month. So the sales figures of 5000 might be confirmed orders. Inflating sales figures...? Is it possible in fact? If the figures are inflated it would prove worse for Hyundai only as they are liable to pay more taxes.....right? If there is no external agency to monitor sales figures given by manufacturers then it is possible to inflate sales figures, but then everyone will inflate not just hyundai. This is the link and article from SIAM:

Source: http://www.siamindia.com/Media/Cover...e.aspx?id=2011

Buoyed by the initial response and the month-long wait list of its newly-launched mid-size car Verna, Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) will be increasing the production capacity of the car, sources told this newspaper on Wednesday. According to a HMIL statement issued at the beginning of October, 2,053 units of Verna were sold in the five-day period after its launch on September 25 and going by this number and the ongoing festival season, Hyundai is on track to scale that figure.

"Demand has been growing significantly. Therefore, the production capacity of the Verna will be increased to 3,000 units from this month, an increase of 500 units from the initial production capacity of 2,500 in the launch month," the sources said.

Another reason of the Verna capacity expansion is the long wait list of prospective buyers who want to own the sixth-generation offering, which succeeded the Accent worldwide. According to a Hyundai official, the nationwide wait list is currently "3-4 weeks depending on the market, colour and variant of the Verna." As was anticipated at the time of the Verna launch, the diesel version has managed to eat into the markets of the popular Ford Fiesta and GM’s Aveo. One of the dealers in Hyderabad said, "Customers who had booked the Fiesta have gone ahead and bought the Verna after cancelling the Ford offering." In a bid to compete, General Motors is offering a Rs 20,000 discount on the Aveo, barely months into its launch.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 17th October 2006 at 14:41.
Old 17th October 2006, 17:54   #63
Team-BHP Support

Not seen a single Verna except for dealer test vehicles
Old 17th October 2006, 18:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Not seen a single Verna except for dealer test vehicles
Thats not I have seen few of them in the last days in Bangalore.
Old 17th October 2006, 19:05   #65
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
This is official PR. I'd prefer to wait for industry stats - maybe Joz can help out?
Shall check up and let know soon.

The numbers peddled out by Hyundai should be the number of bookings received. I have actually seen 4 - 5 Verna's in Bangalore and another 4 - 5 in Chennai. Maybe we will see a lot more of them on the roads a week or two from now. The Verna is not being exported as of now. So it has to be domestic sales only.

Also, I don't think we need to get hyper about these figures. All manufacturers do the same (remember Swift?, Fiesta?) in the first 1 - 2 months after launch. Wait for a couple of months and check out the figures. That should give a better perspective.

@ Adarsh, SIAM does not give out figures by compiling reports from newspapers. Vehicle manufacturers need to report segment level sales of vehicles to SIAM on a monthly basis. Manufacturers count the dispatch to dealers as a sale. During the initial months after a launch, (especially with the festive season around), dispatch to dealers would be significantly higher.
Old 17th October 2006, 19:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to know if the market overall has grown or is someone else taking a hit.....especially segment leader HOnda City.
Old 17th October 2006, 20:12   #67
BHPian

Shouldn't go by the Hyped figures i guess.
Thats the marketing strategy - To Install public faith into their product,
by surprising the ignorant masses with big figures.
Has anyone called for a Test Drive yet?
Old 17th October 2006, 21:54   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just saw one properly. Man, its look pretty small! The pictures suggest otherwise, but in person....its a pretty tiny car.
Old 17th October 2006, 23:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Just saw one properly. Man, its look pretty small! The pictures suggest otherwise, but in person....its a pretty tiny car.
Its size is quite similar to an AVEO which is longer than Baleno, Accent etc...4310mm
Old 18th October 2006, 00:58   #70
BHPian

Where de 5000 verna's? Parked at the Factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
I saw a black verna at vijaynagar ,bangalore.
Where are those 5000 "V"erna's? I saw only one in Blr.

i went for a test drive. De Diesel version was good ! Interiors are not up to the mark. For a 8,57,000 on road price tag, i dont want plastic !

Jai
Old 18th October 2006, 03:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

saw a verna coming from a distance white in colour thought it was a corsa. It was test car. The first verna i saw in chandigarh after its launch.

Looks are not at all gr8. Fiesta looks much better specially side profile and frontend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Old 18th October 2006, 03:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme
Where are those 5000 "V"erna's? I saw only one in Blr.

Jai
make that 2 vernas... i saw a dirty brown color.. sad choices in colors people make...
Old 18th October 2006, 10:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The overall profile is in trend with todays designs - like the Fiesta, Aveo, NHC - pretty big cars compared to earlier generations, but the tall-boyish boxy design hides the true size.
Old 18th October 2006, 10:13   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Yeah you're right. It looks small but in fact it has almost the same dimensions as city and a segment leading wheelbase. I guess its due to the height that it looks small. Interior space is also comparable to the City.
Old 18th October 2006, 10:14   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
@ Adarsh, SIAM does not give out figures by compiling reports from newspapers. Vehicle manufacturers need to report segment level sales of vehicles to SIAM on a monthly basis. Manufacturers count the dispatch to dealers as a sale. During the initial months after a launch, (especially with the festive season around), dispatch to dealers would be significantly higher.
So where can we get the correct information? Will SIAM post the figures on their website?

Most Viewed