Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 14:56   #196
BHPian

Re: Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I said that the MU-X is a comparable product to the previous generation Fortuner at prices equal to the previous generation Fortuner. Didn't I, Sir?
I totally agree with you. But then, keeping aside the brand, can you tell me how they fare? At 1L less than the old Fortuner, how good is MU-X compared to the old T-Fort is what I want to know.
Quote:
On the contrary, almost everyone here says the opposite: Isuzu ideally should have priced the MU-X significantly lower than the current levels to ensure better success, is what is being discussed here!
Again the same question comes to mind. If the MU-X is comparable to the old T-Fort, then at what price level it should be placed? Pitch it against Creta and Duster? Will that ensure success? In a brand crazy market like India, where only some companies can command a premium, I don't think it would've helped Izusu anyway.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:22   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At 1L less than the old Fortuner, how good is MU-X compared to the old T-Fort is what I want to know
Hypothetically, let's assume we are in the Year 2014-15 and MU-X & Fortuner both are available. Now tell me how many persons would have bought Isuzu over Toyota due to 1 Lac or so difference?

By giving an outdated product and pricing it at par with gone year market leader is not going to help as the newer product is so much different/ better. Again, their best bet would have been to price it starting 20 Lac or so - how, is entirely their internal matter, if they could not manage, better don't launch a product and suffer failure. Look how FORD has priced Endeavour, despite having a better product they have understood how Toyota commands premium/ respect here. No matter what we all say, check dealerships in few weeks and see what's happening to their sales.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th May 2017 at 15:26.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:45   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
In a brand crazy market like India, where only some companies can command a premium, I don't think it would've helped Izusu anyway.
India's best selling car brands are Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai. I don't see their cars selling on brand alone as these are not big premium brands with any illustrious history or pedigree. We say people buy Innovas and Fortuners because of the Toyota brand. But the Toyota badge has not helped the Etios / Liva. People here essentially look for value. Of course, value is subjective but then we shall go .

And I repeat, I don't think Isuzu is an inferior brand in the given segment we are discussing about, and that is a feeling echoed by many of our fellow members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
If the MU-X is comparable to the old T-Fort, then at what price level it should be placed? Pitch it against Creta and Duster? Will that ensure success?
Nobody would expect an MU-X to be pitched against a Duster or Creta. Even a two year old used Fortuner would be pricier than either of these.

The whole feeling is that Isuzu should have ideally brought in the latest variant in the first place.

Since they decided to go ahead with the older version, they could have made the price a little more enticing to prospective customers.

The current 2L difference in ex- showroom prices for nearest (not equivalent) competitor (the Endeavour 3.2L Trend 4WD A/T) translates to a difference of around Rs.5,000 in EMI terms (60 month SBI rates) which is definitely not attractive enough for a vast majority of buyers. Even with the 6L price gap, a Fortuner full fat 4WD A/T would be just around Rs. 13,000 more monthly.

I am apprehensive that this car goes the Hexa way. A good product with good potential let down primarily by a price tag which misses the mark for most of the general public. The manufacturer might feel justified on the strength of their product, but that feeling need not necessarily be echoed by the common car buyer.

Last edited by Yeldo : 18th May 2017 at 15:49.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:47   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hypothetically, let's assume we are in the Year 2014-15 and MU-X & Fortuner both are available. Now tell me how many persons would have bought Isuzu over Toyota due to 1 Lac or so difference?

By giving an outdated product and pricing it at par with gone year market leader is not going to help as the newer product is so much different/ better. Again, their best bet would have been to price it starting 20 Lac or so - how, is entirely their internal matter, if they could not manage, better don't launch a product and suffer failure. Look how FORD has priced Endeavour, despite having a better product they have understood how Toyota commands premium/ respect here. No matter what we all say, check dealerships in few weeks and see what's happening to their sales.
Could not have put it better. Isuzu should have understood their position in the market better and priced MUX better. Anyways market dynamics will now decide the fate of MUX.
Old 18th May 2017, 17:35   #200
BHPian

Checked out the MU-X in person at JMD ISUZU, Navi Mumbai. Unfortunately could not take a test drive as the TD car was unavailable. So checked out the display car parked outside.

Initial observations :-

Pros:-
- Looks BUTCH!!
- Space inside in the front 2 rows is good.
- Engine noise is subdued. Good insulation.
- The middle row seats have one touch tuble function for access to the third row. Very easy to use.

Cons:-
- The AC seemed weak. The display car was parked outside in direct sunlight. So that could be the reason.
- 255 section tyres feel undertyred. 265/275 section would've made it look way better.
- I'm 5'10 I found the middle row seats a little low. Also the seat base should've been extended by 2", for better comfort.
- Space in the third row is nothing great. OK for short trips.
- Middle row seats are fixed. So this compounds the legroom problem for third row passengers.

Some pics
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142332.jpg
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142325.jpg
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142948.jpg
Second row legroom & seat base
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_141939.jpg
Third row space
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142150.jpg
Luggage space with all seats up
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142045.jpg
Mumbai Price List
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_163826.jpg
Cubby hole between the third row seats
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142249.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu planning to launch MU-X. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 23.99 lakhs-img_20170518_142418.jpg  

Last edited by powertrain : 18th May 2017 at 17:50.
powertrain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 19:03   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Could not have put it better. Isuzu should have understood their position in the market better and priced MUX better. Anyways market dynamics will now decide the fate of MUX.
And just to show how serious is Isuzu about sales in India, my request for a test drive registered in Isuzu's website 3 days back, is yet to solicit any response. God bless.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:21   #202
Senior - BHPian

Now I am getting the logic. Isuzu wants to price the latest MU-X (already out in Thailand, to be launched in India next year) closer to the Fortuner.
If they price the current MU-X lower, the new MU-X will look over-priced, and people will refuse to acknowledge it as a Fortuner rival.
Now that they have priced this (old) model around 25 lakhs +, the new MU-X will look decently priced, and can be pitched against the Fortuner rather than the XUV 500.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:11   #203
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu makes fine UVs and its fair they want MU-X to be positioned alongside the Fortuner. However, Toyota has been around for decades and has built a cult following here. Many have tried but none have succeeded to unsettle the Fortuner.

Perhaps they should have played the lower price tag here. Imagine if the starting price was an introductory 19.99L? Some aggressive ad campaigns, marketing of their legacy, etc would have helped.
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:25   #204
BHPian

I feel Isuzu has kept the price high and in the future they might come out with the existing 2.5 Liter engine from the V-cross and 2 airbag model at 19.xx lacs.

I own the V-cross and have done almost 14000 kms so far. The 2.5 Liter engine would satisfy most and by giving basic safety package like ABS/EBD/BA and 2 airbags (similar to the V-cross) they can have a well priced entry level MU-X.

The entry level MU-X with 2.5 liter engine should have been launched from the very start to get the sales going and increase the visibility of the new launch.
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:58   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

GST effect on prices of SUVs is supposed to be positive for customers, with almost 10-12% reduction in effective tax rate. If this is true, MUX may have a fresh lease of life again. Potentially they could drop the price to around 21 lacs for the 2WD and 23 lacs for AWD.
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:11   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... We say people buy Innovas and Fortuners because of the Toyota brand. But the Toyota badge has not helped the Etios / Liva.....
Exactly. Only one thing matters in Indian market. Initial 6 months to 1 year period. It is that hit or miss period. If a car does good in this period, from thereon its initial inertia carries it through for the rest of the years. Totally unknown brands like Skoda and even initial-cars-failed brand like Renault tasted super success (with Octavia and Duster).

On the other hand, Etios, Liva, A-Star, Estilo, Baleno(old) , Terracan / Tucson / Getz etc. of reputed brands failed. But, none of these cars were bad in anyway. So, the initial 6 months period makes or breaks a car in India, as we always want to buy what's hot-selling. If I were a manufacturer, I would have sold for first 6 months at ridiculously low price till they bite into it. Never mind the initial loss. You can more than make that up later.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:26   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
GST effect on prices of SUVs is supposed to be positive for customers, with almost 10-12% reduction in effective tax rate. If this is true, MUX may have a fresh lease of life again. Potentially they could drop the price to around 21 lacs for the 2WD and 23 lacs for AWD.
Brilliant opportunity to make it a hot cake! If they price it 16 for 2wd and 17-18 for 4 wd This car aint worth a penny more if you ask me, Indian market is going to undergo a rationalisation soon. Isuzu should lead the process and ride the wave if they were to make it big here.

Honestly I can't even be bothered to return to this thread, with the horrendous pricing put up.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:33   #208
BHPian

As Autocar has updated it on their website, the one to look out for will be the 1.9 DDI Blue power that is currently used in Thailand market. 150 BHP with 350 nm torque are decent figures and it will be in the league of the XUV5OO and Tata Hexa. High speed cruising and fuel efficiency will be definitely better as this one has a 6-speed Auto configuration. Hoping Isuzu price it competitively too. (maybe around 16 to 20 lacs range). If they carry over the same features in the 3.0 variant, it will be worth the wait.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-404842.aspx
Old 24th May 2017, 17:53   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprising how another competitors absurd launch pricing starts to make some cars more value for money. After seeing the Tiguans 28-31 Lacs exshowroom prices, the MUX has started looking more value for money. I just hope that Isuzu can do some price reduction with GST of around 2 lacs and then the MUX will be decent value for money. For all customers who are looking to buy SUVs or large cars, it will be prudent to wait till 1st July when the GST comes into force. There is also an anti-profiteering clause which mandates that companies must pass on any GST reduction benefit to end customers and cannot retain the difference as additional margin.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 00:24   #210
BHPian

Motown India has come out with their review of Isuzu mu-x. It is not a polished review, however it is the only one available at the moment. At last when the reviewer says that vehicle has been launched at a reasonable price, I was laughing off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks