Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 18:58   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
GC has been 193 in all the versions wherever this has been launched. Not sure why it should be different in India.

Here is a link to the Thailand model which is similar to Indian model.

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/fortuner/specification

There is no mention of ground clearance in the AU model though
This is a bummer. I have been very happy with the 220mm gc of the classic Fortuner, when I go over broken roads at speed. 193mm is like softroader territory lol.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:07   #257
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
The Australian edition gets 225MM (downgraded from an initially announced 279mm),the previous generation Fortuner came with a 220MM clearance,is what I was comparing the new one with.
279 mm would have been like a locomotive train over any terrain. Amazing they even announced it. Mouth watering. I wonder how 220 became 193 in Thailand and India. By that logic, this is lower than all of competition. Even the ones a segment lower. Like Nilanjan says below - This is a softroader territory.

Seems like this is more pitched against Santa Fe than Endeavour et. al. The argument on looks veers in the same direction too.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 8th November 2016 at 19:09.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:07   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Any update on Ground Clearance? few rumors are around that the GC is reduced to 193 mm with ARAI figures of 184 mm in Indian Version.
Removal of rear diff locks & reduction of GC is big trim down for Indian Version, specially for 4x4 enthusiats.
Quote:
GC has been 193 in all the versions wherever this has been launched. Not sure why it should be different in India.

Here is a link to the Thailand model which is similar to Indian model.

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/fortuner/specification

There is no mention of ground clearance in the AU model though
Quote:
The Australian edition gets 225MM (downgraded from an initially announced 279mm),the previous generation Fortuner came with a 220MM clearance,is what I was comparing the new one with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
This is a bummer. I have been very happy with the 220mm gc of the classic Fortuner, when I go over broken roads at speed. 193mm is like softroader territory lol.
Guys relax !

That 184mm is the laden Ground clearance.

The Ground clearance (unladen) stays @ 225 mm i.e. same as previous generation
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:09   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Like expected, the dealer is charging a premium for White (which they know will be the preferred color).

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img20161108wa0021.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img20161108wa0017.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img20161108wa0019.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img20161108wa0020.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:11   #260
BHPian

Quote:
When i discussed this with the sales person, he mentioned 193mm, if memory serves me right and i (maybe erroneously) corrected him that it would be 225 mm ( after reading pre launch reviews ). He did not correct me, so i thought he was mistaken since he was not well informed about a couple of other stuff as well. ( he could not inform whether a 220 V AC outlet was a fixture, or the location of the 12 V outlet in the boot).
So what is it?193mm or 225 mm?
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:28   #261
BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_3934.png

The price list here in Udupi. I guess on road price all over Karnataka should be similar
Deep Blue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:32   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Like expected, the dealer is charging a premium for White (which they know will be the preferred color).
Naveen there are 2 White colours to choose from;

1) SUPER WHITE

Name:  Screen Shot 20161108 at 8.39.45 PM.png
Views: 5327
Size:  140.8 KB

2) WHITE PEARL CRYSTAL SHINE

Name:  Screen Shot 20161108 at 8.39.50 PM.png
Views: 5266
Size:  141.6 KB

They are charging a premium for the pearl shade only, which is common to do so

Last edited by karan561 : 8th November 2016 at 20:41.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:36   #263
Team-BHP Support

Went for a quick drive a while back, the biggest gain appears to be in suspension, not only it soaks bumps and imprefections well but also the roll is contained significantly. Engine is quieter, but makes lot of noice when pressed hard. If driven sedately and in Eco Mode it's far better to drive then when done enthusiastically. However interior plastics are a big let down for a vehicle costing this much and is close remblebance to Innova. Endeavour on the otherhand in Titanium variant feels much premium.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:43   #264
Senior - BHPian

Guys ..on the looks department, dont judge this just based on images.
I can assure you a black Fortuner looks menacing. It really does - it feels like a Yakuza's vehicle.
Have seen it in Thailand and the sight at first was pretty awesome.

After the shattering monetary news, bet there are going to be a lot of booking cancellations now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th November 2016 at 19:18.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 23:41   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
After the shattering monetary news, bet there are going to be a lot of booking cancellations now.
Very true, according to a latest survey 80% of luxury car purchase in Hyderabad happens through liquid cash ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 08:01   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Very true, according to a latest survey 80% of luxury car purchase in Hyderabad happens through liquid cash ..
But the dealer would still require your PAN card regardless of whether you pay in cash or take a loan on it. That's a legal requirement. So it doesn't make a difference if you pay for the car in cash. It still shows in your books.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 09:26   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But the dealer would still require your PAN card regardless of whether you pay in cash or take a loan on it. That's a legal requirement. So it doesn't make a difference if you pay for the car in cash. It still shows in your books.
Providing PAN just increases your risk of getting caught it doesn't assure that one is going to get caught. If you have a family member who is not working anywhere but has PAN card, you can buy a car or land upto a certain value like 10-15 lacs without getting caught as this will be just one transaction they ever did. Moreover the issue now is of accepting the currency. Even if all your money is legal, like I read that you are a doctor and if you are practising and the fees you receive is legal (if you declare all of it), then you can buy anything using that cash but at the moment no one will accept your currency as it has become illegal.
CA Dhruv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 10:41   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
Providing PAN just increases your risk of getting caught it doesn't assure that one is going to get caught. If you have a family member who is not working anywhere but has PAN card, you can buy a car or land upto a certain value like 10-15 lacs without getting caught as this will be just one transaction they ever did. Moreover the issue now is of accepting the currency. Even if all your money is legal, like I read that you are a doctor and if you are practising and the fees you receive is legal (if you declare all of it), then you can buy anything using that cash but at the moment no one will accept your currency as it has become illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Agree to Dhruv here and that is what most of the people do. This is how low Benami traqnsactions happening. In high amount transactions, mostly the people take the car in the proxy companies and they give the PAN card of that proxy companies.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 19:16   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I am the odd one here, I like how the Fortuner looks now compared to its previous self. A bit of sophistication has taken over the simplicity of the earlier model inside out.
It is purely a personal choice, but the vehicle has gone from hulk to beautiful if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Here is the Autocar India perspective of this behemoth:
Which is pretty much in line with what we said, except the rear seat space due to the height difference of reviewers i guess. Ride part- as i mentioned we had given multiple people from Toyota team about the odd feeling from the tyres, hope they corrected after day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
With improved interiors and more flashy exterior, I am just wondering if the Fortuner will now start attracting a few potential customers from the entry premium segment German car buyers ?
Really doubt so, in fact it can be the other way. Whatever said and done for people aspiring for image a german brand is in a different league, even socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Interesting.

So, given a choice and taking all factors into consideration, would you recommend the Innova Crysta 2.8L AT over the Fortuner 2.8L AT, Jaggu?
If you are going to be driven around, absolutely makes sense. But if you need that extra ground clearance to take it to hell and back then maybe the fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Also, in addition to my previous post, may be I spoke too soon too bad for Toyota's decision on not having a sunroof! Turns out that Sunroof is NOT offered in Australia, Thailand or South Africa either! So, they may just be right on their comment on platform's incompatibility with a sunroof!
It is indeed due to technical reasons, platform rigidity might be compromised affecting the handling or even leave the sun roof creaking and cracking. This is a reality, remember that this vehicle started off as a hilux, whatever said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
The Fortuner gets the MapmyIndia Navigation just like the Crysta.
I hate this mapmyindia thing, it is never accurate. Even during our trip on many occasions, it totally lost its bearings. I have done the same route with Google maps and it was on dot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
I was also watching Autocar India's review
=== Just hope they do it right when the comparison comes out.
Inspite of that it is a quick one pull tumble which makes it super convenient thing to use.

Quote:
The Fortuner can get Roof Racks which the Endeavour with a Panaromic Sunroof cannot manage to have.
Not necessarily since the racks would be attached to the roof rails or the door beam edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm surprised you're picking the 4x2 MT Fortuner in this case.

For the requirements described, if you're zeroing on this variant, I would imagine you would be better off in either Crysta ZX / VX MT (depending on bench / seat preference) or even the Endeavour Trend 2.2 A/T (unless manual is a must).
Like i said there are many stake holders and each have there own set of requirements and one important criteria is it needs to take lil bit of thrashing around (not necessarily offroad), hence would prefer an SUV class. If not a Superb would have been a perfect fit. Now why MT if it is fortuner? Simply due to the pricing. No point in shelling out so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
So should the urban yuppie buy the T-Fort or a BMW X1 ? I know both are in different segments, but seem to fall in the same price bucket ?
Below reply is spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Same price is the only commonality - they are VERY different products with their independent pros and cons.

There is no single right answer to this. Each person needs to define their specific preferences, requirements, concerns and priorities to be able to figure which option will suit them better.
Quote:
Specifications mentioned on Toyota's website,does not have the GC published,this seems like a deliberate omission.
The GC is not bad or compromised, the min figures quoted on Australian site would be at the lowest point at the rear axle pumpkin, which is not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Went for a quick drive a while back, the biggest gain appears to be in suspension, not only it soaks bumps and imprefections well but also the roll is contained significantly.
Kind of reinforce our belief regarding the air pressure! Let me see if i can get a test drive over weekend here in bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Guys ..on the looks department, dont judge this just based on images.
I can assure you a black Fortuner looks menacing. It really does - it feels like a Yakuza's vehicle..
I agree. The darker shade would look more to our tastes compared to the white which would be something a politico might like to flash around. Premium for certain metallic shade is making a come back i guess, regressive step though.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 20:40   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On the other hand, the bonnet lid needs some serious biceps to hold up for more than 10-15 seconds!
The 25+ lakh Fortuner doesn't have a gas strut to hold the bonnet up?!

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_9700.jpg

Oh c'mon Toyota!

EDIT: No auto-dimming interior mirror either?!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th November 2016 at 07:45.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks