Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 15:44   #526
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Guys there is something that doesn't add up.

The car has been able to garner 12,000 bookings in past 45 days (claimed) but Honda has dispatched 7,500 unit till date. This raises following questions:-

1. Is the production planning department at Honda inept that they didn't produce any buffer stock before the launch of the car?

2. Is the marketing department at Honda so lame that they couldn't anticipate any demand for for the car?

3. Assuming steady stream of bookings on daily level and looking at the dispatches how come the dealers have been quoting a 3-4 month waiting period from the beginning? Were all those 12,000 bookings made on the first day itself with none on the rest 44 days?

4. Honda has 283 dealers in India and looking at the dispatches numbers, on the average every dealer should get 12-13 W-RV every month then how come dealers are claiming that they are receiving just 3-4 car's every month?

5. Is it so difficult to produce variants of W-RV in demand over the ones that are not?

6. Is Honda trying to create artificial scarcity just to make an excuse of raising the prices quickly?

Honda should remember what happened to Ford and VW. Indian market is very unforgiving and if a product falls off the radar (even after initial euphoria) nothing is able to revive it, even huge price cuts and discounts
Old 5th May 2017, 17:23   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post

The car has been able to garner 12,000 bookings in past 45 days (claimed) but Honda has dispatched 7,500 unit till date. This raises following questions:-
I have exactly the same thoughts. The fact that I have seen only 3 WR-Vs on the road (in a place like Mumbai) so far definitely indicates a big gap between demand and supply if you factor in the 12K bookings Honda has received. I'm assuming a significant % of those bookings must be from the metros.

It seems Honda has been focusing all efforts on the City. I see 7-8 new Citys in the Honda dealership near my house but not a single WR-V. The only available WR-V is the test car and a display vehicle.

I hope Honda gets the demand-supply gap bridged fast. I am waiting and hoping that the WR-V with the 1.5L iVTEC + CVT option is announced soon. If that has to happen, it would only be after GST is in place. The demand-supply equation would be further tested at that time.
Old 5th May 2017, 17:44   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

There are so many variables in the supply chain that you couldn't pinpoint at one particular aspect to understand why there's a backlog.

Quote:
1. Is the production planning department at Honda inept that they didn't produce any buffer stock before the launch of the car?
Could be an artificial backlog too; to give the sense of a car generating so many bookings that production can't meet the demand.

Quote:
2. Is the marketing department at Honda so lame that they couldn't anticipate any demand for for the car?
Or, smart?

Quote:
4. Honda has 283 dealers in India and looking at the dispatches numbers, on the average every dealer should get 12-13 W-RV every month then how come dealers are claiming that they are receiving just 3-4 car's every month?
283 dealers spread across the country; obviously, not all dealers will have bookings and hence, not all will receive a steady stream of vehicles from Honda each month

Quote:
5. Is it so difficult to produce variants of W-RV in demand over the ones that are not?
Tata has struggled to anticipate the higher demand for the Hexa AT as well.

There have been also some cases where some variants have a higher backlog because particular part: alloys in the case of Tiago, iirc is not in adequate supply from the OEM supplier.

6. Is Honda trying to create artificial scarcity just to make an excuse of raising the prices quickly?

Quote:
Honda should remember what happened to Ford and VW.
If they cared that much, they'd do a much better job pricing their new launches!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 19:17   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There are so many variables in the supply chain that you couldn't pinpoint at one particular aspect to understand why there's a backlog.

Could be an artificial backlog too; to give the sense of a car generating so many bookings that production can't meet the demand.

Or, smart?

283 dealers spread across the country; obviously, not all dealers will have bookings and hence, not all will receive a steady stream of vehicles from Honda each month

Tata has struggled to anticipate the higher demand for the Hexa AT as well.

There have been also some cases where some variants have a higher backlog because particular part: alloys in the case of Tiago, iirc is not in adequate supply from the OEM supplier.

If they cared that much, they'd do a much better job pricing their new launches!
I what i'am trying to say is that considering the number of W-RV that honda dispatched compared to the bookings, the wild waiting periods of 3-4 months from the beginning does not make any sense.

Secondly dealer even in metro such as NCR are making false claims of 3-4 cars being delivered in a month which is totally at odds with the number of dispatches made by Honda.

Last of all if Honda is trying to create artificial scarcity then it should not forget how it shot itself in the foot in case of Brio, B-RV, Mobilio etc where the products just faded away after the initial euphoria.
One more example is the case of TATA Zest where the initial response(selling even more than Honda Amaze) led the TATA sales people to gleefully claim waiting periods due to great response only to find the hard won customers shift back to other popular cars in the segment (Dzire, amaze, xcent etc.) and resorting to discounting just 6 months after the launch.
Old 7th May 2017, 00:04   #530
BHPian

Received a call from classic Honda today to inform that I wont get my car in this lot as they have received only 4 W-RV's in total out of which only two are VX Diesel, subsequently i wont be getting my car this month and would have to wait till June just to know when i will get my car.

When I humbly presented the sales rep with the fact that Honda has been dispatching more than 3500 units each over past two months(meaning that on the average a dealer is receiving 12-13 cars) the said person flipped out claiming that Classic Honda faridabad is the biggest, best and oldest showroom and it's not possible that any other dealer would have received more cars.

The tone was very annoying. I will talk to their GM tomorrow and if they don't give a concrete answer i will cancel my booking and walk over to Nexa showroom across the road.
Old 7th May 2017, 13:00   #531
BHPian

Quote:
The tone was very annoying. I will talk to their GM tomorrow and if they don't give a concrete answer i will cancel my booking and walk over to Nexa showroom across the road.
Looks like "One man's loss is other man's gain". S cross billings gonna move up because of Honda's inability to service the people who had put their trust in them. Now even I'm seriously considering stretching my budget by another 3 lakhs and to go for S Cross 1.6!
Old 7th May 2017, 17:22   #532
BHPian

Quote:

When I humbly presented the sales rep with the fact that Honda has been dispatching more than 3500 units each over past two months(meaning that on the average a dealer is receiving 12-13 cars) the said person flipped out claiming that Classic Honda faridabad is the biggest, best and oldest showroom and it's not possible that any other dealer would have received more cars.
You could have sarcastically said, BIGGEST still getting such low share of allotments. Maybe honda doesn't think that you are biggest.
I tell you these sales representatives think themselves as GODS during selling a very in demand car.
Same happened with me last year, had booked a ciaz when delhi govt had reduced VAT. The attitude of sales rep was like he's some princess and we are his slaves. He treated like I had come for his divine help for getting the vehicle. I patiently bore his attitude & after getting the vehicle gave him & the showroom 1/10 rating on every phone call, email or any other feedback facility of the company. Showed him who was the king. When he got reported he pleaded me to write a mail to his boss saying that there were few hiccups but it all went good. On call I said ok will write but never wrote anything and started avoiding his calls and blocked his no.
Hope now he thinks plenty of times before taking customer for granted.

Last edited by CA Dhruv : 7th May 2017 at 17:23.
CA Dhruv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 14:06   #533
BHPian

The official review of wrv too has been in the pipeline for a loooong time. Is there actually an issue with the availability of the car? Been two and a half months now and still only 2 sightings (by me in a wide area in Mumbai). I see more brvs than that where are the 3000+ deliveries going? No ownership reviews/ announcement(?) either in the forum.
Old 10th May 2017, 14:15   #534
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Been two and a half months now and still only 2 sightings (by me in a wide area in Mumbai). I see more brvs than that where are the 3000+ deliveries going? No ownership reviews/ announcement(?) either in the forum.
Surprising !

Infact I am seeing a lot of WR-Vs these days. Last saturday I was driving to Mumbai from Pune with bhpian Miharbe and I counted 8 WR-Vs during the 2.5 hours driving time on the expressway from Baner (Pune) to Marol (Mumbai).

Earlier that day, I had been to bhpian Happysmiles' residence and spotted 2 WR-Vs at his apartment complex.

I was under the impression that Honda has managed to sell more than 3000+ units !
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 14:29   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Surprising !

Infact I am seeing a lot of WR-Vs these days. Last saturday I was driving to Mumbai from Pune with bhpian Miharbe and I counted 8 WR-Vs during the 2.5 hours driving time on the expressway from Baner (Pune) to Marol (Mumbai).

Earlier that day, I had been to bhpian Happysmiles' residence and spotted 2 WR-Vs at his apartment complex.

I was under the impression that Honda has managed to sell more than 3000+ units !
Thanks, That sets the record straight. Haven't seen (m)any here in Mumbai. Guess, basic sampling theory.
Old 10th May 2017, 14:48   #536
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen a single WR-V in Bangalore till today, but spotted 4-5 in my hometown in Kerala during my visit last month.
Old 10th May 2017, 18:04   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have not seen a single WR-V in Bangalore till today, but spotted 4-5 in my hometown in Kerala during my visit last month.

I also didn't see so far in Bangalore. But I saw one in Pondicherry and it has very good road presence. Honda has done very good job. It definitely deserves 1.5 ivtec hope Honda soon brings it.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:45   #538
BHPian

Spotted couple of petrol WR-Vs in the past week. Both driven by lady drivers. The DRLs in the WR-V are astonishingly bright even during the day time. I'm comparing them with the DRLs in the 2017 City. The overall impressions of the WR-V remain unchanged. It is one tall and 'big' looking hatch. In fact, it manages to completely overshadow the City when spotted from front on with the City directly behind it.

I have been checking TBHP's website daily hoping to see the official review. I have not given up hope although it has been almost 2 months since the car was launched.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 11th May 2017 at 12:48.
Old 11th May 2017, 19:14   #539
BHPian

Today spotted a WRV near Yeshwanthpur in flesh. It has good presence from up front but looks like a van from the side and a hatch from rear. Actually it looks smaller than it actually is from behind. Also it is not very tall which further accentuates it's hatch roots.
Old 12th May 2017, 18:03   #540
BHPian

Autocar India compares the WR-V, Brezza and i20 Active

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...4859&type=News

Some excerpts -

- WR-V looks more distinctive than the i20 Active, but the Brezza is clearly more SUV like.

- WR-V is the most spacious. i20 Active has the best finished cabin.

- Brezza has the noisiest engine, i20 the most refined. WR-V slots in the middle.

- The Brezza is the loudest at idle (49.7dB to the WR-V’s 48.5dB and Active’s 47.3dB) and is also the noisiest at max revs (76.3dB vs 68.3dB vs 71dB).

- Brezza has the most entertaining handling, i20 feels soft and loose. WR-V has a good balance between ride and handling.

- Overall the result is Brezza > WR-V > i20 Active.

The Brezza wins solely because it feels the most SUV-like of the lot.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks