Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 15:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Well, its GM's loss, few years down the line when India becomes an even bigger market for automobiles, these guys will turn green seeing how other manufacturers are minting money here. What a shame !

As a proud owner of the Beat, I think I will keep the car till the end of its lifecycle and use it for city commutes. I dont have a problem as I've been servicing it from FNGs since last one and a half year and the car as such is niggle free.

Thank you GM, you never deserved Indian market. Good riddance !
NiInJa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

General Motors India To Stop Domestic Sales - End 2017

In April 2017, General Motors India shut its Halol plant in Gujarat. Rumours are that SAIC, a Chinese carmaker, is negotiating terms with GM India to buy that facility. Now though, the Indian arm of General Motors (GM) has announced that it will cease domestic sales on December 31, 2017. Although this comes as a shocker to many, it isn’t really surprising considering how the carmaker’s fortunes in India have plummeted in recent years.

The company has confirmed that its Talegaon facility, which is in close proximity to Pune, will remain operational, but only as an export hub. This decision, as per the company, is part of a series of actions taken to re-evaluate business performance of its operations globally. However, the move to cease domestic sales follows a review of future product plans for India. In June last year, GM came to the conclusion that its Indian operations are best utilised for exports to other countries.

In a press release, Stefan Jacoby, GM executive vice-president and president of GM International said, “We explored many options, but determined the increased investment originally planned for India would not deliver the returns of other significant global opportunities. It would also not help us achieve a leadership position or compelling, long-term profitability in the domestic market. Difficult as it has been to reach this decision, it is the right outcome to support our global strategy and deliver appropriate returns for our shareholders.”
maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

They say lightning never strikes twice, but in the case of Chevy Spark...the car first appeared on our roads as Daewoo Matiz, and the company went kaput. GM relaunched it as Spark and now this.

Sorry for the dark humour.
sandeepmdas is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:49   #139
BHPian

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-skoda-octavia-specs-prices.jpg

Look at that Power and torque figures - still ahead of contemporary cars. Interior looks apart, it is one of the (only) 2 cars that is still contemporary, though almost a decade old from chevy stable.

GM India is going the Nokia way. Betting on wrong platforms (windows OS and Chinese cars respectively) when market has moved on, not relying on their own products and strengths.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2017 at 15:57. Reason: Inserting image as attachment
Old 18th May 2017, 15:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised that GM chooses to shut down Chevrolet sales in India. If you think about it, GM (and Chevrolet) never really was a global brand. Whatever brand values Chevrolet espoused, and whatever halo vehicles the public associated with Chevrolet, were always "American" and never really global. Compare that to Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen, Hyundai, et al.

GM is going back to its roots. Focusing on the Americas, and a few markets outside of the Americas where their brand makes some connection, has an equity.

GM never did build the brand in India. I am not surprised they couldn't sustain their domestic operations.

Goodbye, Chevrolet. I really won't miss you though.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:50   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange but true - Chevrolet's chequered downfall over the years in India!

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-capture.jpg

Source-Jato

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2017 at 16:07.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:53   #142
BHPian

It is Daewoo story revisited. Ironically, Daewoo was honest about its condition, unlike GM literally cheating us. I can only imagine how many court cases will be filed against the company in India including consumer disputes. They will be defending these litigation for far more years than servicing their left over cars.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 16:08   #143
BHPian

I have fond memories of the Opel Astra launched in the late 90's. It was leagues ahead of the Daewoo Cielo and was "the" brand for anyone who wanted German luxury but couldn't afford the W124 Mercedes Benz. Based on this experience, we purchased an Optra 1.6, which served us reliably for 7+ years. Another great product let down by a poor ownership experience.

It's a shame to see what GM's myopia has done to its India operations, despite its first mover advantage and some impressive products over the years. Terrible sales and after sales experience has cost the company dearly, much to the frustration of customers.
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 16:13   #144
BHPian

Their state in India is so bad I wouldn't have noticed even if they quit the market without making any announcement at all.

Just wondering though, what kind of prudence would it take to fail twice?!! (opel,chevy). May be they will relaunch in 2030 with a 'Hummer Beat'.

Last edited by veyron_head : 18th May 2017 at 16:14. Reason: Grammar
Old 18th May 2017, 16:23   #145
BHPian

Their cars never took off in India. We don't want their cars. We want more and more Marutis. Every other car that sells here is a Maruti. And even companies like Honda are trying to make Maruti-like cars. They don't have anything in their stable that could rival Marutis. So why should they sell cars that we don't need. Wise move, IMO.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 16:31   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I have fond memories of the Opel Astra launched in the late 90's. It was leagues ahead of the Daewoo Cielo and was "the" brand for anyone who wanted German luxury but couldn't afford the W124 Mercedes Benz.
I had the Opel Corsa for many years. What a car. This car gave me my first experience with luxury. You could drive the entire day still no fatigue, but step out fresh. My wife curses the Maruti's and Hyundai's for the poor suspension, insulation, and seating. She teases me whenever we see a Corsa go past.

But sadly American arrogance, poor marketing, poor product management, no control over the sales and service network (waiting for months to get a orvm).

In a way they dug their own grave.

Nikhil
Old 18th May 2017, 16:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Really sad. So the Essentia project also gets shelved?

Last month I got to drive my FIL's 6 year old petrol Beat which has done a staggering 1.2L kms . Was amazed how good the interiors held up even after such beating. Could barely notice any rattling and the engine too was pretty punchy after so much running. Whole time I kept wondering if they continued bringing such products , their market stand would have been totally different

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th May 2017 at 16:35.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 16:46   #148
BHPian

I doubt current owners would have a problem as their export plants will be on. Sad, but they really should not have come up with a lazy "What works in China, will work in India" plan and introduced Chinese cars with GM badges in India.
Old 18th May 2017, 17:23   #149
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it, GM started had started making and selling cars in India before Hyundai.

Sad that company as Big Internationally as GM with so many resources failed to make it in a Market as vibrant as India. A Failure in Strategy and Product Planning .

Get the product (that people want to buy) right and everything else falls into place.

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:44   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Last month I got to drive my FIL's 6 year old petrol Beat which has done a staggering 1.2L kms . Was amazed how good the interiors held up even after such beating. Could barely notice any rattling and the engine too was pretty punchy after so much running
Absolutely! My own 48k kms Beat still has great interiors, well ahead of its times - and just zero rattling or any issues. It's sad to see this happen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks