Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:58   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Why do you need service centre help for installing the smartgate. Isnt this just and OBDII device like Honda Connect that you plug into your OBDII port ?

With respect to the application you should be able to side load it by downloading the application APK.
Not an OBD port plug-in. Needs some level of expertise in connecting to the BCM/ECU box under the front seats (I think) or dashboard area. Does not need splicing of any wires as the kit has its own connectors.

Explicitly and formally informed by senior Skoda personnel that warranty will be voided if I fit it and later suffer any electrical issues, even if unconnected to SmartGate. Didn't even reach the app stage

A newer development is the Skoda OneApp which uses the SmartLink+ interface but has very shady reviews on the Playstore.

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd January 2018 at 13:06. Reason: Grammar
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:26   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
What is the AMC component mentioned in the pricing ??
It's the 4 year/60,000km maintenance package offered by Skoda.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:30   #303
BHPian

Got a small heart attack few days back. Car was on ghats uphill on way to Pune, afternoon time, bumper to bumper traffic, very hot conditions. "Gearbox overheating, continue driving after which gearbox overheating pull over " message. Happened once.

Once got out of traffic, normal drive. Kinda scary.
derek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:43   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Got a small heart attack few days back. Car was on ghats uphill on way to Pune, afternoon time, bumper to bumper traffic, very hot conditions. "Gearbox overheating, continue driving after which gearbox overheating pull over " message. Happened once.
Your car is Octavia 1.8 TSi?
Old 4th January 2018, 04:53   #305
BHPian

Yes. 1.8TSI L&K just got a couple of months back.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th January 2018 at 18:00. Reason: typo
Old 4th January 2018, 17:55   #306
BHPian

Quote:

Once got out of traffic, normal drive. Kinda scary.
Hi !
Just a tip to preserve your DQ200 gearbox.

When driving in Bumper-Bumper traffic, switch over to manual mode and you can keep the car in 1st. Otherwise the GB keeps shifting between gear 1-2 and tries to slip the clutch in 2nd to creep forward. That's bad for a dry clutch box and can cause overheating like you experienced.

Happy Driving
Vibhu
vibhu_f430 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 18:27   #307
BHPian

Thanks for the tip. Will keep in mind the next time I'm stuck in this crazy traffic. Is there any other dos and donts for the DSG?
Old 4th January 2018, 18:41   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Will keep in mind the next time I'm stuck in this crazy traffic. Is there any other dos and donts for the DSG?
I switch to Neutral at traffic signals on my Rapid which uses the same DSG gearbox. Some websites and YouTube videos say this is not needed, but I still switch to N when I am stationary.
Old 4th January 2018, 19:58   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
I switch to Neutral at traffic signals on my Rapid which uses the same DSG gearbox. Some websites and YouTube videos say this is not needed, but I still switch to N when I am stationary.
Topic has been discussed to death in the various TSI threads :-)

Anything more than 10/15 seconds, I at least change to N with handbrake. Touchwood no issues yet in BLR traffic over 28k km & 2 years.

Changing to Manual mode is essential in very slow bumper to bumper traffic. Agree it can be irritating though to move back to DSG but you get used to it.

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th January 2018 at 20:00. Reason: Typo
Old 11th January 2018, 08:48   #310

So I was told yesterday that my car is in "billing", and I'll be asked for full payment soon. After that, a week to transport the car to Mumbai, and another 4 days or so for registration. Sales associate is confident that I'll have it in my possession by end of the month.
Old 11th January 2018, 21:15   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
So I was told yesterday that my car is in "billing", and I'll be asked for full payment soon. After that, a week to transport the car to Mumbai, and another 4 days or so for registration. Sales associate is confident that I'll have it in my possession by end of the month.
I don't think you need to make full payment during billing process. If I understand right, this billing is by Skoda to the dealer and not to customer. My suggestion is you wait until you see the beast in person, do a PID and then make full payment.

I strongly believe dealer is trying to avoid interest/misc charges by immediately billing to customer.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 21:51   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
I don't think you need to make full payment during billing process. If I understand right, this billing is by Skoda to the dealer and not to customer. My suggestion is you wait until you see the beast in person, do a PID and then make full payment.

I strongly believe dealer is trying to avoid interest/misc charges by immediately billing to customer.
Thanks. This is what I'm leaning towards as well. I'm going to go visit the showroom on Saturday and tell them as much. When I broached the subject earlier at the time of booking I was told that a PDI won't be possible. I've been biding my time since then. I'd assume that he will be much more open to suggestions when I'm closer to making the full payment.

The only issue is their stockyard is in Bhiwandi (I'm buying from Autobahn, Worli). Any way to get the car shipped to the showroom and then do a PDI before payment?
Old 12th January 2018, 07:50   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

StevieG, everything can be organised by the dealer if they want to. However for the PDI, I suggest that you take a day off and drive down to Bhiwandi yourself. Why take the chance of having it driven unnecessarily by a driver?

Please insist on the PDI! Take the TBHP checklist with you and don't be hurried.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 18:24   #314

Hi all

So my sales associate is saying that they won't let me do a PDI before temp registration, and that this is skoda policy. Can anyone help me connect with someone at skoda who can help and preferably is active here?
Old 15th January 2018, 18:45   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hi all

So my sales associate is saying that they won't let me do a PDI before temp registration, and that this is skoda policy. Can anyone help me connect with someone at skoda who can help and preferably is active here?
This doesn't make sense at all. Tell your SA that they don't need to bring the car to the dealership but you can visit their stockyard to perform PDI.

He might be concerned about driving the car on road (read stockyard to the dealership) without temp registration.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks