Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 10:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

A nice Yaris Ativ intro clip found on youtube. Interiors seems nice and hope the variant we get comes as well appointed and with the 1.5L Petrol engine with CVT auto.

Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 10:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 1.5L petrol and the CVT is their key. AT's are in huge demand in our country now.
+1 to that. It should be that 1.5 Petrol dual vvt-i with the 7 speed Super CVT-i transmission that should be doing the duty on the Indian Vios/Yaris. I hope, they don't even think about the 1.2 even for the hatch.

Another technology that they should introduce is the hybrid. Hope, better sense prevails with our government and supports the hybrid technology ( the proper ones, not the SHVS gimmick ). Without the tax support, a typical Indian buyer will never go for a hybrid.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 10:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually many who prefer a safe no nonsense option will prefer this. For example over a Verna.
Point, but only sales would reflect this.

Quote:
Looking at pics it seems quite decent inside and out. It isn't edgy styling but has some modernity to it's design.
Boils down to personal preference, I didn't like it at all.

Quote:
Atleast being a Toyota the interior will be screwed together properly.
Assumption till we finally see the real deal.

But Toyota needs this for sure. They've been loosing on all the demand that exists in this segment. Honda has been getting away with an astronomical price tag for the City with the new generation. Over 16L OTR for the City is outrageous.

It's sad that Hyundai didn't plan of offering more space in the new Verna. Would have had a chance to fight well in this segment full of BackSeatBoys.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1 to that. It should be that 1.5 Petrol dual vvt-i with the 7 speed Super CVT-i transmission that should be doing the duty on the Indian Vios/Yaris. I hope, they don't even think about the 1.2 even for the hatch.

Another technology that they should introduce is the hybrid. Hope, better sense prevails with our government and supports the hybrid technology ( the proper ones, not the SHVS gimmick ). Without the tax support, a typical Indian buyer will never go for a hybrid.
1.5 is confirmed and the word is that the CVT box being used in current Corolla is going to plonked in Yaris Ativ too.
csnanjappa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:57   #20
BANNED

Looks are subjective, but I like it. It has a very mature design. Front end looks contemporary. Interior is by and large as per Toyota standard. But, what we are looking here at the reliability of Toyota and not a taxi image that unfortunately Etios is carrying. As I am getting ready for an upgrade into Ciaz/Verna/City space in 2019, I may very much consider it, provided they will place it at that range.

Currently, Etios top variant ends at 8 lac and Corolla starts from 16 lac (ex-showroom in Pune); I am afraid they have a huge price band there to fit it. I wish they would price it between 7.5 lac and 13.5 lac zone. In my opinion, it would be logical to start overlapping Etios and very much in the range of the trios, also slightly undercutting Honda City. If they move up, it will be very close to Corolla which has a better brand image and snub value.

My guess again, knowing Toyota way, the G version would be bare bone with 4 wheels and a steering. Top end VX might have 7 airbags and CVT as an option. Again, they might offer CVT as an option from V variant too. Considering Etios is already running on 1.5l Petrol, no doubt this will have the same engine.
Old 19th January 2018, 12:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Currently, Etios top variant ends at 8 lac and Corolla starts from 16 lac (ex-showroom in Pune); I am afraid they have a huge price band there to fit it. I wish they would price it between 7.5 lac and 13.5 lac zone. In my opinion, it would be logical to start overlapping Etios and very much in the range of the trios, also slightly undercutting Honda City.
I believe they would price it competitively as you have suggested. Safety wise it is definitely going to be at the top considering the crash test results of Etios. With the brand image of Toyota, this car would definitely keep the greed of Honda and Verna in check and that a very good news for those who are looking in this segment.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 12:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks are subjective, but I like it. It has a very mature design. Front end looks contemporary. Interior is by and large as per Toyota standard. But, what we are looking here at the reliability of Toyota
Toyota's focus has never been about the looks. They normally come up with neutral looks that don't offend anyone. It's the ergonomics, reliability and practicality that Toyotas are known for.

And by that standards, the Yaris does look more than decent!

Quote:
In my opinion, it would be logical to start overlapping Etios and very much in the range of the trios, also slightly undercutting Honda City. If they move up, it will be very close to Corolla which has a better brand image and snub value.
Going by the history, Toyota might just stop the Etios/Liva and replace it with Vios/Yaris with the pricing between the current Etios and the Corolla.

Quote:
My guess again, knowing Toyota way, the G version would be bare bone with 4 wheels and a steering. Top end VX might have 7 airbags and CVT as an option. Again, they might offer CVT as an option from V variant too.
Going by their history, they should have airbags and ABS standards across all variants while, the 7 airbags might be available only on the top end.
CVT should logically make it through to atleast 2 variants. India is moving aggressively towards automatics. Close to 50% of the Innova Crystas sold are automatics.

Quote:
Considering Etios is already running on 1.5l Petrol, no doubt this will have the same engine.
It shouldn't even be the 1.5 l used on the Etios. They should come up with the dual-vvti 1.5l which is much more refined and fuel efficient in addition to being very drivable and adequately powerful.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 12:33   #23
BANNED

Quote:
+1, Exactly my opinion. I dare say, a better looking Toyota sedan.

Quote:
Going by the history, Toyota might just stop the Etios/Liva and replace it with Vios/Yaris with the pricing between the current Etios and the Corolla.
They could, but the price band is too large to have two different vehicles. Imagine, Etios starting at 6.5 lac zone and Corolla starting from 16 lac.

Quote:
It shouldn't even be the 1.5 l used on the Etios. They should come up with the dual-vvti 1.5l which is much more refined and fuel efficient in addition to being very drivable and adequately powerful.
They still have D4D starting from Liva to Corolla, we can just wish it be 1.5l dual-vvti .
Old 19th January 2018, 12:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Toyota's focus has never been about the looks. They normally come up with neutral looks that don't offend anyone. It's the ergonomics, reliability and practicality that Toyotas are known for.
Other than the Etios none of the modern/new designs from Toyota can be termed as neutral or dull. On the contrary its getting a bit too over-styled or quirky with some of the new models.

The Yaris Ativ looks sufficiently modern for its segment.
Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-ativ-capture.jpg

OT: And this one has no hint of subtlety whatsoever
Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-chr-capture.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th January 2018 at 12:49.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 12:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They still have D4D starting from Liva to Corolla, we can just wish it be 1.5l dual-vvti .
Diesel is a different ball game. Japanese are generally very conservative in their approach when they are not very sure about the future. With Toyota, it is even more evident. They kind of are the benchmark in the Japanese mindset.

With the government's discouraging policy on Diesel ( reducing the price gap, and the NGT surprises once in a while ), it's a risky affair to invest on small Diesel engines any more. But, at the same time, the Innova Crysta Diesel is a different ball game because they have a need of designing Diesel engines for their offroaders and Innova just shares the same engine. Toyota Innova Crysta, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Fortuner, Toyota Landcruiser Prado all share the same diesel engine at a different state of tune and they all have a reasonable number of buyers across the world.

Regardless of the PS numbers, the new Euro 6 90 PS D-4D Diesel Engines are very good to drive around thanks to the peak torque starting from 1400 rpms. I'm still not sure as to why Toyota is still not using this engine in India. Maybe, because the bulk of the sales in that segment is Petrol and Diesel is no longer a priority. For small Diesels, Toyota seems to be using the BMW Diesels wherever needed and not focusing much on their R & D.

With the 1.5 l on Yaris/Vios, globally Toyota uses 1.5l dual-vvti. I don't see any reason why they would not bring that here in India especially when you consider the fact that Corolla, Innova and Camry all have the dual-vvti Petrol.

Last edited by amalji : 19th January 2018 at 12:54.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:24   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Diesel is a different ball game.
Ok, agreed.

Quote:
With the 1.5 l on Yaris/Vios, globally Toyota uses 1.5l dual-vvti. I don't see any reason why they would not bring that here in India especially when you consider the fact that Corolla, Innova and Camry all have the dual-vvti Petrol.
Using a current old engine would means a lot from profitability and economic point of view. The old 1.5l will give them ample scope to play around 8-13 lac price range. But a new improved engine means higher input cost, which might push them to price it in 10-15 lac range.

Considering, they have plan to discontinue Etios in future, I am not sure, if they will leave that area vacuum. Again, putting the older engine would be more competitive for a launch and leave them room to introduce the new dual-vvti later as a face lift version.

Anyway, we all can just speculate. Toyota as we know is highly unpredictable in their product management area; we never know what they may decide during launch.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Etios is a value for money sedan with a horrible looking interior. Recent Etios interior refresh for Brazilian market was decent but Toyota decided to not to offer it in India. Looks like they are confused whether to launch Vios/Ativ in India. I find Ativ good looking by Toyota standard, and it does not look out of place comparing to its competitors. If priced near Ciaz they can easily sell ~ 4000 units per month.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Using a current old engine would means a lot from profitability and economic point of view. The old 1.5l will give them ample scope to play around 8-13 lac price range. But a new improved engine means higher input cost, which might push them to price it in 10-15 lac range.
Not just the cost, the Dual VVTi will be made available during the facelift. They did the same with the Corolla Atlis (not the current one on sale, I think that facelift came in 2011 or 2012), dual VVTi came with the Face-lift.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 17:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:

This segment is a diff ballgame. For one you have Maruti as your competitor. Secondly, Honda and Hyundai have huge brand pull in this price point. Thirdly the segment has a lot of self driving millenials (read diff age group). Lastly, the segment is more price sensitive.
I think this will be Toyota's Renault Captur. It's not a bad car per se, but because the competition in the segment is already so strong, it'll be a dud. Plus those looking for a premium, Japanese, mid-size sedan, that's comfortable, and will be chauffeur driven, already have the Honda City as their go-to option.

If I were responsible for Toyota India's strategy, I'd launch this as the all-new Etios. The Etios is a familiar nameplate now, thanks to the taxi-cab market, and will bring this some attention. Also, I feel as an update to the Etios it doesn't seem bad at all. That budget mid-size space (Nissan Sunny, Renault Scala, Indigo Manza) is pretty much dead anyway, thanks to Sub-4M sedans. As an option that sits between compact sedans and premium mid-size sedans, it may actually find some buyers.

The current-gen Etios on the other hand can get a Classic/Tour/Prime sticker and continue selling to fleet operators, which is primarily where its sales come from anyway. But I doubt this will happen, given Toyota's fixation with discontinuing previous generation cars that are still in healthy demand.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 19th January 2018 at 17:28.
Old 20th January 2018, 07:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Plus those looking for a premium, Japanese, mid-size sedan, that's comfortable, and will be chauffeur driven, already have the Honda City as their go-to option. If I were responsible for Toyota India's strategy, I'd launch this as the all-new Etios. The Etios is a familiar nameplate now, thanks to the taxi-cab market.
Why not have more choices in the so-called Japanese, premium, mid-size segment? Honda city reputation has taken a hit with the latest generation. There are many who would prefer a more reliable niggle free car (even if it offers less features) and Ativ will fit their bill.

Going by the discussion in this thread, it is likely that Ativ will be launched in 1.5L Petrol variant only. If that is the case, Toyota will not be targeting taxi-cabs and to differentiate would not go with Etios nameplate.

There are many people who did not opt for Etios just because of its interiors and they will find Ativ interiors something they can live with.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks