Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2018, 08:23   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
I think this will be Toyota's Renault Captur. It's not a bad car per se, but because the competition in the segment is already so strong, it'll be a dud. Plus those looking for a premium, Japanese, mid-size sedan, that's comfortable, and will be chauffeur driven, already have the Honda City as their go-to option.
Toyota's Renault Captur? I doubt so! The Captur didn't capture the imagination of the car-buying public because it did not have any USP per se, and the positioning did not do it any favours as well. A value offering in a specific segment can bring in a change provided the product offers something special. Ativ if launched with a 1.5 petrol and CVT gearbox probably won't affect the likes of a Ciaz or a Verna, but can give serious challenge to the City's dominance in the petrol sedan space. The go-to options can easily change if there's another compelling choice.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 09:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

I know of some in my circle who wished Toyota launched the automatic variant of the Etios/Liva, I wanted this too. Looks were not their priority and since there was no automatic option from Toyota in this segment they had to look elsewhere. And there were some people who were OK with Etios' look but wife/kid couldn't digest the interiors and so had to look elsewhere. This new one ticks both the boxes, auto & looks, and I believe this is going to bring in some numbers for Toyota if priced well.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 09:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I know of some in my circle who wished Toyota launched the automatic variant of the Etios/Liva, I wanted this too.
Me too. I hope Toyota launches Ativ (or Vios) with Automatic option preferably CVT or Torque Converter unit.
Old 20th January 2018, 11:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Why not have more choices in the so-called Japanese, premium, mid-size segment?...

Going by the discussion in this thread, it is likely that Ativ will be launched in 1.5L Petrol variant only. If that is the case, Toyota will not be targeting taxi-cabs and to differentiate would not go with Etios nameplate.
Will be good to have more choice. But to fit in that segment it has to bring to the table more than what the City offers apart from reliability. And if Toyota has learnt its lessons from the experience of the Crysta and Etios, they would bring this with the maximum bells and whistles. Bringing this in only petrol version is be a brilliant idea. It would ensure that negligible share for yellow plates. Most of the Honda City's sold are also petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Toyota's Renault Captur? I doubt so! The Captur didn't capture the imagination of the car-buying public because it did not have any USP per se, and the positioning did not do it any favours as well. A value offering in a specific segment can bring in a change provided the product offers something special... The go-to options can easily change if there's another compelling choice.
It's in Toyota's hands to make this a compelling choice. I do hope it is.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 12:07   #35
BHPian

I think its too early for Toyota to completely shift to Petrol offering in this segment, especially in a Diesel loving market like India. IMO Toyota should offer a Diesel option too. By offering only Petrol version Toyota might lose a lot of potential buyers. Especially a lot of Etios owners who are waiting for an upgrade and waiting for Toyota’s new offering. To differentiate Yaris Ativ from the taxi segment Toyota can maybe offer the Diesel engine only on the feature rich highest variant. This could help to keep taxi operators away.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 15:20   #36
BHPian

As an ex Etios owner, I like the design inside out, not as flamboyant as a City or Verna, not too dull like the Ciaz. The Etios was well screwed together even when compared to my current Heavy weight champ Punto. This one looks mature and has the modernity that will stay fresh for atleast 5-6 years. Just wish it doesn't have that uber light build and feel of the Etios. Looks like an interesting option for me to upgrade to in the next 2 years, till then bank to the tank.
Old 20th January 2018, 17:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Yaris ATIV spotted again,

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-toyotaviostoyotayarissedanfrontthreequartersrightsidespyshotindia.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-toyotaviostoyotayarissedanspyshotindia.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th January 2018 at 17:45.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 20:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Why not have more choices in the so-called Japanese, premium, mid-size segment? Honda city reputation has taken a hit with the latest generation. There are many who would prefer a more reliable niggle free car (even if it offers less features) and Ativ will fit their bill.

Going by the discussion in this thread, it is likely that Ativ will be launched in 1.5L Petrol variant only.
Having more choices is great, but the product needs to be strong and not something that exists for the sake of offering an alternative in the market. From the looks of it so far, the Ativ seems more like a 10-12 lakh rupee car than a 15-lakh rupee car. Besides Toyota too had its share of niggles with the new Innova, so there is no guarantee that the Ativ will be any more reliable than the City, Ciaz or the Verna.

The 1.5L Petrol from the Etios is a fantastic engine, but despite that offering just a petrol version would be a mistake. Fuel prices are on the rise again and there is a big chance we will see a shift back to diesel cars in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Toyota's Renault Captur? I doubt so! The Captur didn't capture the imagination of the car-buying public because it did not have any USP per se, and the positioning did not do it any favours as well. A value offering in a specific segment can bring in a change provided the product offers something special. Ativ if launched with a 1.5 petrol and CVT gearbox probably won't affect the likes of a Ciaz or a Verna, but can give serious challenge to the City's dominance in the petrol sedan space. The go-to options can easily change if there's another compelling choice.
And what do you think will be the USP of the Ativ? The Captur is a pretty no-nonsense product - tried and tested mechanics of the Duster, bulletproof K9K motor, excellent ride quality, decent equipment list, and a modern design and interior. It bombed only because the other options in the same segment (Creta), and also a segment lower (Nexon, EcoSport) are either already well established or feel more special. Heck, even the Duster outsells the Captur by a significant margin.

The Ativ, like the Captur, has a similar problem. It doesn't feel special enough to be pitched against the already established competition. If Toyota prices it at a premium, the lower, sparsely equipped variants will be sitting bang against the top-end variants of compact sedans and SUVs. The higher variants then will have to fight with the City and Verna, which overall feel much more upmarket. It will be insanely competitive. The only way Toyota will succeed here is if they get the positioning spot-on, and for that they need to position it lower than the City and Verna.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 20th January 2018 at 20:47.
Abhinav667 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 22:23   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Just not exciting which has unfortunately become a Toyota India trademark. Don't get me wrong, sales numbers are great, but for enthusiasts Toyota India reminds people of hideous taxis with tinplate doors and awful wheel well noise, dry business-minded people and resale lovers.

Where are the head (as opposed to mind) people at Toyota?

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th January 2018 at 22:27. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 00:53   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
And what do you think will be the USP of the Ativ?

The Ativ, like the Captur, has a similar problem.
Toyota emblem on the front, rear and the steering wheel. Thats the USP.

People still buy the Etios for various reasons. Yaris Ativ is a much modern product in comparison. Though I agree with your views on the product - I believe it would do average sales in the market.

Certainly won't be facing same fate as Captur as you have mentioned. If not for private sales - atleast the taxi market will welcome them whole heartedly.
Old 21st January 2018, 05:37   #41
BHPian

For a company that could replace the tried and tested qualis with the Innova and Innova with Innova crystal both of which were significantly costlier vs options they replaced, I wouldnt be too surprised if they re badge this as the new Etios and sell it at premium. Having no regard whatsoever for the existing sales of models is seemingly working wonders for them. I know a lot of people who booked the Etios and crystal with out even looking at the price or specs. That is the brand recall Toyota enjoys in India..
Old 21st January 2018, 07:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Toyota is working on a full-on make over ? Etios changed by an Ativ and a Vios to compete with C-Segment? Only thing pending is the hot hatch!

Jokes apart it definitely is a great move. Also when we are at a tipping point (again) on petrol vs diesel, the sales of the two types would again come into a full discussion on how to power them up. Especially the Ativ (if intended toward part fleet, part self driven).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 07:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks to be more pleasing than the Etios, but for me, still not as good as the simpler early 2000 Camry. I think that was the last Toyota car that I liked on the looks part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.. when we are at a tipping point (again) on petrol vs diesel, the sales of the two types would again come into a full discussion on how to power them up. Especially the Ativ (if intended toward part fleet, part self driven).
Going by current trends where petrol cars > diesel cars, the personal users would lean towards petrol, while the taxi guys will swear by the diesel.
Old 21st January 2018, 08:37   #44
BHPian

I have a feeling that this would be the top seller of the segment and I also am sure that Toyota would peg the price at a premium. That's the value the T badge commands in India. Well, the wheel well noise and awful fuel efficiency of the Petrol engine notwithstanding, it would sell.

That said, I would blame it all on these sub 4 m sedans, which are contraptions in my humble opinion, as the prime reason for why we Indians are starving for choices and to be content with the entry level sedans elsewhere in the world to be considered as premium here in India.

Reliability and resale value sells in India. Period. We in general are safe investors and nothing wrong in it. I have a feeling this introduction would further take the C+ segment away from the reach of middle class, to the City territory (15+ Lakhs)
Old 21st January 2018, 09:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Well, the wheel well noise and awful fuel efficiency of the Petrol engine notwithstanding, it would sell.
Fuel efficiency and refinement is taken care of in the latest 1.5 L dual-vvti Petrol. And I'm betting on Toyota to bring that for Yaris/Vios.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks