Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 09:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

The Yaris looks more premium and pleasing than the Vios. They should just forget about Vios as it looks terribly outdated and concentrate on launching Yaris as soon as possible in our market. We have been yearning to see more cars from Toyota, and I wish they make it true.
Does Toyota has any surprise for us during the Feb Indian Auto-Expo?
Old 21st January 2018, 09:52   #47
BHPian

If Toyota really wants to capture Indian market then they needs to think beyond their engine. Has to be complete package for the market to compete with likes to Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai. In Etios/Innova so poor interior (read looks), many features missing compared to this competitors but has higher price tag. Even for Fortuner facelift has that orthodox looks. Where is that aerodynamics?
Old 21st January 2018, 12:08   #48
BHPian

Just enquired about the Yaris at my local dealership and according to him the launch will be end of March. The sales guy seemed pretty confident as he did not hesitate while answering. So we have a good chance it will be displayed at the Auto Expo.
cediaowner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:12   #49
BHPian

Walk-around of Interior and Exterior
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was told that the launch might be next month, wish it comes with 1.5. Looks to be a decent package inside out compared to the Etios.

A detailed (wish it was in English) Thai user review video i found on youtube. This is the top version.

Another proper one

Lime green

Performance is not too bad for a 1.2 CVT auto, to 100 it takes about 15 seconds and a top speed of almost 180.

Last edited by Sankar : 21st January 2018 at 13:20.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 13:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediaowner View Post
Just enquired about the Yaris at my local dealership and according to him the launch will be end of March. The sales guy seemed pretty confident as he did not hesitate while answering. So we have a good chance it will be displayed at the Auto Expo.
In my conversation with a sales person from Nippon Toyota in Kerala, he mentioned about a new hatch being launched in two months. He also said the hatch will have an automatic variant. He didn't have more details.

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Typo fixed
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 13:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

To start with it has better looks than what Toyota usually dishes out these days. So that is a plus. For their sake I hope the interiors are of a superior grade than the current Etios and Liva. If they address the interiors and passenger amenities and price it respectfully this could be the mid-range hit they are seeking. My kid sister, who is a Prof in U.S., has a 2016 Yaris and the car runs like a dream for its size and price point.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 15:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
In my conversation with a sales person from Nippon Toyota in Kerala, he mentioned about a new hatch being launched in two months. He also said the hatch will have an automatic varient. He didn't have more details.
Strange ! I asked specifically about the category and he mentioned it’s a mid sized sedan. Also with the recent spottings of the sedan version by different members here I’m pretty sure it’s going to be sedan not a hatch. But we might get a hatch later in the year (don’t quote me on this).
cediaowner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 19:50   #54
BHPian

This looks much better especially interior, compared to other low end Toyota offerings (Etios, Liva etc...) in India. My guess is Indian version will have 1.5L petrol and 1.4L diesel mills. Toyota will release it with all the features that City and Verna have and price matches Honda City or even slightly higher.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:03   #55
BHPian

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the current Yaris / Ativ has been in production since 2013, and is therefore already almost 5 years old this point. Not sure why are they planning to launch it here this late in its lifecycle.

Further, the Toyota B Platform has been around since 2005 with the first car based on it being the XP90 Vitz.

Also, the Ativ is missing key features like rear AC vents, which I suspect Toyota is not going to bring in just for the Indian market.

Is this car at risk of being another taxi-only favourite?
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:37   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

More of Toyota YARIS ATIV in India,

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-2018toyotaviosyarisativspiedinindia.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-2018toyotaviosyarisativspiedinindia1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd January 2018 at 10:41.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
If Wikipedia is to be believed, the current Yaris / Ativ has been in production since 2013, and is therefore already almost 5 years old this point. Not sure why are they planning to launch it here this late in its lifecycle.
This should not be surprising. Toyota has made India its dumping yard for end-of-life products. Except for very few models, everything else is just for them to use the Innova pull and get some final money into its coffers before they shelve the product for good.

But overall, 5 years is not a lot when it comes to vehicle platforms. As long as it serves the purpose and it's being upgraded, it could be a well sorted out platform for multiple vehicles to be built up on.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:53   #58
BHPian

Agree that model age does not, in itself, make a car unattractive. However, I have the following concerns:

1) for educated buyers: they may think that a vehicle they are buying may be outdated in around 2 years, as the next model may arrive
2) for the general car-buying public: the car *looks* older compared it its (presumed) price competitors like the City and Verna

Mind you: I am a Toyota believer and fan
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

A modern looking Toyota with interiors from the current decade plus some gizmos ? I think TML can certainly get away with pricing this at around 17L on road for the top end (read : extra airbags, ESP, everything else is just fluff) 1.5 CVT. Lower variants may be in the region of ~12L OTR in most cities.
People will still queue up and buy this mini-Corolla. I know I would , if I had the moolah, mainly for use by my dad and wife.
If they add a sunroof (foolproof recipe of success in the Indian market) to this , sales would go ..umm..through the roof!

PS : Whats with the fluidic Hyundai-sque tail lamps ?
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
In my conversation with a sales person from Nippon Toyota in Kerala, he mentioned about a new hatch being launched in two months. He also said the hatch will have an automatic varient. He didn't have more details.
Yaris hatch is 4145mm, I don't see Toyota chopping it to bring it under 4m for Indian market , unless they have been working on a new top hat on the Etios platform.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks