Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 15:53   #1

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

Mod Note: Our Yaris Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Scoop!! Is Toyota testing Yaris Ativ??
Caputred near Hebbal outer ring road Bengaluru

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-img_20180118_12391601.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-img_20180118_12381901-1.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore-img_20180118_1238260102-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2018 at 11:22. Reason: Linking to review
Anashku is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 16:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Toyota Yaris Ativ to replace Etios in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
Scoop!! Is Toyota testing Yaris Ativ??
Caputred near Hebbal outer ring road Bengaluru
Good catch! That indeed looks like the Yaris Ativ
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 16:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Nice scoop. Looks like we will get the Yaris Ativ which is similar to the Vios but priced lower in Thailand.

Only thing is the Yaris Ativ gets a 1.2L engine whereas the Vios gets the 1.5L. I think Toyota would be foolish to get this with a 1.2L engine and go against the Ciaz, Verna and City.

Most likely they are getting the Singapore spec which is the 1.5L Vios engine but the design is that of the Yaris Ativ.

What a refreshing change in design vs the Etios. That said it's still a safe typical Toyota design not an eye catching one.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 17:49   #4
BHPian

Nice Scoop. With 1.5L already doing duty in Etios, we can expect Vios or Ativ, whichever is launched to come with 1.5L. However, with Toyota it is better not to build any expectations (even if they showcase in Auto Expo) until it is officially launched in India.

Video of Toyota Yaris Ativ - nicely captures various details. Not sure if Toyota will launch in India with 7 airbags though.

Simhi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Toyota would be foolish to get this with a 1.2L engine and go against the Ciaz, Verna and City.
1.4L, 88 PS in a INR 2 million Corolla Altis, aren't they foolish already?

They will still price it at a premium over the competition, all thanks to the badge.
parrys is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 20:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
1.4L, 88 PS in a INR 2 million Corolla Altis, aren't they foolish already?
Yup foolish with the Altis but they got away with it. One, the segment wasn't about volumes. Two, the segment has majority chauffeur driven and three, they didn't have much competition other than the Elantra which didn't have the same badge value. The Skoda and VW was more for the self driven and wasn't even in contention when it came to reliability.

This segment is a diff ballgame. For one you have Maruti as your competitor. Secondly, Honda and Hyundai have huge brand pull in this price point. Thirdly the segment has a lot of self driving millenials (read diff age group). Lastly, the segment is more price sensitive.

So a 1.2L petrol I am sure is not happening. The 1.4L D-4D with 88PS might actually work in this category as it's not too bad when you see the Ciaz.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Most of the auto portals are speculating petrol to come first and looking at the diesel deregulation and BS6, diesel may not be on the Toyota radar.

For petrol, I thought they already have the 1.5l from the etios which might just do fine like ciaz.

Though I personally prefer something that can compete with honda city and priced in between ciaz and city
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 01:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup foolish with the Altis but they got away with it.
Well, Toyota has gotten away with a lot.

Quote:
So a 1.2L petrol I am sure is not happening. The 1.4L D-4D with 88PS might actually work in this category as it's not too bad when you see the Ciaz.
Yeah, should work for this segment, no doubt - the 1.4 diesel.

But looking at the pictures and the interiors, I really doubt this would have a different fate than the Etios. I mean, this looks far better and evolved than the Etios class, but still, compared to segment standards, this is not what a buyer (considering myself & my father) would go for and pay a million rupees.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 06:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The common knowledge with the dealers here is that there will only be a petrol to begin with. And it will come with an AT for sure. I guess it will be the 1.5 and the CVT as they are targeting the Honda City. March/ April is the time frame I was told.

The diesel is not there at launch, not sure whether it will come later. Probably to shield the Etios. Besides, private buyers are more inclined towards a petrol AT in that segment these days.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 06:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Well, Toyota has gotten away with a lot.

But looking at the pictures and the interiors, I really doubt this would have a different fate than the Etios. I mean, this looks far better and evolved than the Etios class, but still, compared to segment standards, this is not what a buyer (considering myself & my father) would go for and pay a million rupees.
The problem with Etios is that Etios does not have the blings that mass market customers can show-off to their friends and family. However what it lacks in features, it more than makes it up with well bolted interiors, that never rattles, unlike the "legendary" City or Origami based Ciaz. Not to mention the crash worthiness of the Etios shell. How safe is Ciaz is anyone's guess.

For people who like to show-off the blings in their car, I think should stick to Ciaz or City. For someone who values his/her loved ones lives and wants a no-nonsense car that you simply fill it, shut it and forget it, should go for Yaris/Vios.
arunramaswamy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 08:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice scoop. Looks like we will get the Yaris Ativ which is similar to the Vios but priced lower in Thailand.

Only thing is the Yaris Ativ gets a 1.2L engine whereas the Vios gets the 1.5L. I think Toyota would be foolish to get this with a 1.2L engine and go against the Ciaz, Verna and City.

Most likely they are getting the Singapore spec which is the 1.5L Vios engine but the design is that of the Yaris Ativ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The common knowledge with the dealers here is that there will only be a petrol to begin with. And it will come with an AT for sure. I guess it will be the 1.5 and the CVT as they are targeting the Honda City. March/ April is the time frame I was told.

The diesel is not there at launch, not sure whether it will come later. Probably to shield the Etios. Besides, private buyers are more inclined towards a petrol AT in that segment these days.
This definitely is a huge step up from the Etios, and I don’t think it will be a huge problem even if they launch only in the petrol trim (provided it’s the 1.5L). The natural rival – Honda City has close to 80% of its sales from the petrol variant. And I hope Toyota doesn’t skim on the features when it is launched in India; the Thai model has 7 airbags, ESC/VSC etc. as standard offering.

On a separate note, I feel Toyota is kind of getting a bit cheeky with the Ativ. I am quite sure that they will bring it right in the Honda City territory. But in the current markets (e.g.; Thailand) this goes against the Honda Amaze/Mazda 2, and Vios work in the City/Mazda 3 segment. If they hit a pricing spot bang in between Amaze and the City, they probably have a winner in hand. Exact match or slightly above the City may make it a bit of hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
However what it lacks in features, it more than makes it up with well bolted interiors, that never rattles, unlike the "legendary" City or Origami based Ciaz. Not to mention the crash worthiness of the Etios shell. How safe is Ciaz is anyone's guess.
For people who like to show-off the blings in their car, I think should stick to Ciaz or City. For someone who values his/her loved ones lives and wants a no-nonsense car that you simply fill it, shut it and forget it, should go for Yaris/Vios.
Toyota is no Volvo or even Volkswagen when it comes to safety. I believe it’s a bit too early to judge how this will be against the likes of a City or Ciaz. From a build perspective I believe the Vios (or Ativ) will be as good/bad as the City.
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:00   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually many who prefer a safe no nonsense option will prefer this. For example over a Verna.

Looking at pics it seems quite decent inside and out. It isn't edgy styling but has some modernity to it's design.

Interiors look to be a huge step up from the Etios any day but even the City doesn't have great interior quality. Atleast being a Toyota the interior will be screwed together properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This definitely is a huge step up from the Etios, and I don’t think it will be a huge problem even if they launch only in the petrol trim (provided it’s the 1.5L). The natural rival – Honda City has close to 80% of its sales from the petrol variant. And I hope Toyota doesn’t skim on the features when it is launched in India; the Thai model has 7 airbags, ESC/VSC etc. as standard offering.
True, they probably won't consider a diesel at all initially looking at how the market is shifting and sales of petrol cars are back.

The 1.5L petrol and the CVT is their key. AT's are in huge demand in our country now.

Quote:
On a separate note, I feel Toyota is kind of getting a bit cheeky with the Ativ. I am quite sure that they will bring it right in the Honda City territory. But in the current markets (e.g.; Thailand) this goes against the Honda Amaze/Mazda 2, and Vios work in the City/Mazda 3 segment. If they hit a pricing spot bang in between Amaze and the City, they probably have a winner in hand. Exact match or slightly above the City may make it a bit of hard work.
Yeah but that's the thing. It goes against the Amaze and Mazda 2 cause in Thailand the Yaris Ativ has a 1.2L engine. If they get it with a 1.5L engine then its pretty much on par with City.

I believe Singapore gets the Yaris Ativ with the 1.5L. What's the price point and competition like over there?
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
On a separate note, I feel Toyota is kind of getting a bit cheeky with the Ativ. I am quite sure that they will bring it right in the Honda City territory. But in the current markets (e.g.; Thailand) this goes against the Honda Amaze/Mazda 2, and Vios work in the City/Mazda 3 segment.
Well! Isn't that what they are doing with Lexus? Incidentally, a relative who had a very difficult ownership with his Honda Amaze is very keen on this one.

1.5 AT, lots of airbags, a nice interior and good seats. Not hoping for much else. Plastic wheel caps, lot of zip ties and chrome will be standard anyways.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe Singapore gets the Yaris Ativ with the 1.5L. What's the price point and competition like over there?
Here it is the Vios 1.5L AT, the top variant is priced around 90K - exactly in the same range of City 1.5 or Mazda 3 1.5. The Toyota and the Mazda are much popular than the Honda; I hardly see any new Honda City on the road nowadays.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:44   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

Thanks for sharing, Anashku! Moving your scoop to its own thread.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks