Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 18:13   #361
BHPian

During a recent test drive I modulated the accelerator pedal with medium effort, and here is where the Trailhawk kinda lugs. But if we slam the pedal the trailhawk responds just fine and gathers speed sufficiently without the need for sport mode. You can even hear the BOV during rapid acceleration and lift off and it is a treat if driven windows down. The steering is the best part about the trailhawk. It's almost full hydraulic in nature despite being EPS.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 18:15   #362
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Thanks all for your congratulatory messages. Yes my first drive impression of the Trailhawk was bad. Then I did a one hour city drive and got to understand the Hawk better. Post 341.

I have clocked close to 350 kms in test drives (thanks to the team at PPS motors and KHT) alone before I realised that it was not that bad. The more I drove it the more I started to like it, especially in the city and the convenience of the auto. The suspension, ride and handling were too good to ignore. The brakes are awesome and the SUV is rock solid and planted at highway speeds.

Also there was this thought of a balanced garage. I have my C250 for outright performance and I needed a car as a daily beater and a go anywhere kind of car. I keep my cars for 10+ years. This one is built like a tank.

Yes it cost me a couple of lakhs more than I anticipated but the Trailhawk is like buying a club membership to go anywhere. There is no perfect car out there.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th August 2019 at 18:32.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 19:31   #363
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kaybee View Post
the only thing that stood out for me was that it does not like being floored. Steady inputs seem to do the trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
But if we slam the pedal the trailhawk responds just fine
Aren't these two views in complete contradiction to each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Yes it cost me a couple of lakhs more than I anticipated but the Trailhawk is like buying a club membership to go anywhere. There is no perfect car out there.
Agreed. Thanks in advance for the detailed ownership report, with lots of pics Also, what was the on-road price, if you don't mind sharing?

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th August 2019 at 19:33.
Old 9th August 2019, 19:37   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Haha absolutely true... Like I said, I'm afraid that I cannot properly explain what worked... I leave it to the more experienced members to explain clearly...But nevertheless I find that it has become very intuitive to drive now and to get the required response from the car now
Old 9th August 2019, 19:58   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
ECM improvements maybe? I could clearly feel the kick down button pressing and corresponding turbo shove and movement. In a sedan like Cruze or Jetta I would be past the ton in the same time (normal mode), and here the speedo showed slightly lesser speed count.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2019 at 22:06. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Old 9th August 2019, 21:33   #366
BHPian

Quote:
I too, bit the bullet and got my Trailhawk home on the 29th of last month
Quote:
Brought the Trailhawk home today.
and then there were two.

Many congratulations to Arjun and mr.kaybee. Wishing you guys many many happy miles Trailhawking around.
Looking forward to your ownership reports.

Drive Safe and Keep Revvin.

Cheers,
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 09:09   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will follow up with a detailed write up.
Attachment 1903748
Quote:
I too, bit the bullet and got my Trailhawk home on the 29th of last month (it's been little over a week now)
Congratulations to both of you and wishing you many many happy miles with the Jeep!

Quote:

Attachment 1903748
I think I spotted your Jeep right when it was getting offloaded from the truck at PPS even before you.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 09:21   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations to both of you and wishing you many many happy miles with the Jeep!

I think I spotted your Jeep right when it was getting offloaded from the truck at PPS even before you.
Thank you @arun_josie! But I bought mine from KHT Prime in Yeshwanthpur
Old 10th August 2019, 15:07   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Thanks Arun, yes, you were the first one to spot it. I was just waiting for an auspicious day to take delivery. The minimal grey Trailhawk is the car I brought home.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:55   #370
BHPian

A lot has been written about the nature of the ZF9 gearbox's downshifts and it's really hard to pinpoint what feels 'wrong' about it.

I had my first experience with this gearbox in the Fiat 500X, where I was left with conflicting feelings about the gearbox. Sometimes the gear shifts would be quite precise and felt tactile and nice, while other times, it just left you hung out to dry, almost like an AMT!

Thankfully, a bit of technical reading about how this gearbox actually works clears up what the gearbox really struggles with, and that's downshifting from 8th/9th into 4th or 5th gears. In essence, if you are cruising on the highway and you stomp the go-fast pedal to request a quick downshift, the gearbox will first send you into NEUTRAL for almost a second, while it finds its feet and puts you into 4th or 5th gear.

So if you request gentle acceleration, you get just that, when the transmission gives you some torque from the engine while staying in gear. But when you need MORE torque, it stops all power from being sent to the wheels for a second, which is quite disconcerting. Almost no other torque converter does this sort of a driveline disconnect, which is what makes it so weird to experience. This exact phenomenon was noted in several comments above as well.

For someone who really wants to understand how this transmission works, the following is a must read.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...he-zf-9-speed/

Quoting straight from the article:

"Downshifting from say 7th to 5th is no problem as well, but a downshift from 8th or 9th to 5th is hard work for this design. As an example if the engine speed is 1700 rpm and a shift from 8th to 5th
is required (passing on 2 lane highways), clutch A has 1700 rpm of slip that needs to be reduced to 0 before it can be engaged. So as a first order of business brakes D needs to be disengaged (100 milliseconds), then engine ECU needs to blip the throttle” to increase speed to approximately 2350 rpm (another 400 milliseconds), then engine power needs to be cut and dog clutch A needs to be
engaged (another 100 milliseconds), and now you are in sixth after a half a second of no torque at all at the wheels, then another 200 milliseconds of low torque as the transmission finds fifth with a more conventional frictional clutch to frictional clutch shift and your engine speed is finally at the 2900 rpm.

From eighth gear to fourth gear is going to be even more of a contortion, with a torque interruption that is about a second long as the transmission ECU and the engine ECU do this delicate dance required to get both the dog shifting elements to engage. When you are looking to pass on a 2 lane road at 60 mph, a second can feel like an eternity, especially to a driver who has to use those paddle shifters to get into the right gear before executing the pass."

Last edited by d3mon : 11th August 2019 at 01:57.
d3mon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 08:57   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I too, bit the bullet and got my Trailhawk home on the 29th of last month (it's been little over a week now)...
Congratulations on our purchase !!

Isn't it the same ZF 9-Speed used in the new CRV as well? I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability as ZF has been supplying transmissions for the the premium brands for years.

I would love to get the Trailhawk, but in the same budget range, torn between the MUX and the Trailhawk. The MUX is equally off-road capable, has the extra seats, body on frame etc, but i m sure will be no where as fun to drive on the twisties as the Trailhawk.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 19:13   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
torn between the MUX and the Trailhawk
Other than the price range, there is nothing in common between these two - one is a rugged 4WD ladder-on-frame truck and the other a swanky new-age monocoque with its own share of off-road prowess! Of course it depends on the intended usage - if it involves fair bit of city driving in addition to outstation trips then the Trailhawk would be my pick (given the compact dimensions) but if it is primarily for outings/touring then MU-X any day, given the extra space, not only for passengers but also luggage.

I am sure you are aware that the MU-X will cost you almost 2 lacs more than the Trailhawk, on road.

Last edited by cool_dube : 11th August 2019 at 19:19.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:47   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but in the same budget range, torn between the MUX and the Trailhawk. .
I have another question. Which between these two have lesser chance of packing their bags and leaving? They both aren't doing well TBH.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:20   #374
BHPian

Quote:
in the same budget range, torn between the MUX and the Trailhawk.
I had same dilemma last month but finally booked MU-X. Being in AP, MUX 4x4 costs 30L onroad. My major turnoff against Jeep Compass were

1. rear bench space/comfort: its definitely a class/two smaller than mux.

2. 9-speed ZF tranny: I have owned this transmission in the US for 3 years in form of Acura MDX, and can definitely say it's too many gears, and gets confused very easily. I have also driven few other rental cars (Jeep Cherokee & Chrysler 200) with same transmission, and while its decent transmission, can't say it's brilliant. And both FCA and Honda have open recalls on this transmission. Compared to that, just give me a simple old-school 5 speed tranny which rarely gets confused. I will be more happy.

3. Manufacturer Origin: call me biased, but being in the US for 10 years, FCA cars are not known to last as long as Japanese cars. This argument might not hold true for Compass due to it's Italian origin but wanted to go with a proven product. In markets like australia, thailand etc, DMAX & MUX have already proven themselves.

4. Manufacturer presence in India: This was definitely a concern for both Isuzu & FCA but felt that Isuzu, with DMAX commercial, VCross and MUX, has better presence that Jeep. This is just my feeling and not scientific in any manner.

Last edited by Comrade : 12th August 2019 at 10:21.
Comrade is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:47   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I had same dilemma last month but finally booked MU-X. Being in AP, MUX 4x4 costs 30L onroad
Thanks for sharing your perspective! 30 lac on road is a steal for MU-X Looking forward to your ownership thread. Also, did you check with the dealer on the upgrades/facelift done for V-Cross making it to the MU-X as well?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks