Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 12:00   #1231
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
82 pages in now. My submission is should this thread be locked temporarily till the car is launched? There are more conjectures and speculations and most things that could have been debated and discussed would have been covered by now. We won’t really know what’s for real and what’s not, till such time the variants and prices are official.
+1
Could not agree more. On a lighter note, this discussion on fully loaded automatic variant reminds me of the Dexter's Laboratory episode, where Dexter (in order to befriend neighbour hood kids) makes Action Glory figures with each of them having unique features and capabilities. But his friends are not impressed because none of the action figure has all the features and he feels the heat. Poor Dexter.

90s kids would relate, I guess.!
rahul_goyal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:59   #1232
BHPian

Got as a WhatsApp forward from Rishabh in Youtube.

Of course just a speculation
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190725wa0008.jpg

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 25th July 2019 at 16:00.
Old 25th July 2019, 16:21   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Got as a WhatsApp forward from Rishabh in YotTbe.
Wow, the KIA logo on the paper is the icing on the cake, to make people believe that this is a leaked document from Kia. This guy seems to be very interested in Kia Seltos. First the variant list, followed by Kia Seltos booklet and now the variant list. I don't think Kia would have finalized the variant wise features and prices by now. They are going to officially declare the variants and price list only on Aug 22. Aug 3 is when the cars will be available with dealers for test drive. Only the top end variant would be available for test drive and I doubt if 1.4 DCT would be available for test drive on Aug 3rd.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 16:24   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Got as a WhatsApp forward from Rishabh in Youtube.
I'm sorry but this fellow and his YouTube channel are turning out to be quite annoying. What with reports of him charging 100 Rs over PayTM for an allegedly leaked brochure and now such clickbait videos.

Off topic but Indian YouTubers really need to up their game, especially the automobile channels - only a handful of good channels presently!
Shreyas_H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 16:27   #1235
BHPian

Yup, He also shared that with me. Yes, this is very much speculative. Bu I feel somehow the introductory prices should be somewhat close to the numbers indicated. Keeping the introductory prices for Hector in mind.
I am okay to extend my budget, bare minimum ask is give me a Petrol Auto with Bose speakers, 6 Airbags and a Sunroof
Old 25th July 2019, 16:28   #1236
BHPian

Few more pictures from Whatsapp. Bangalore I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190725wa0012.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190725wa0010.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190725wa0011.jpg  

akhil_rpmlover is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 18:02   #1237
BHPian

While the hot discussion on this thread is about variants and price speculation, sharing this feels like off topic (when it really isn't). Let's not give these youtubers what they want - ATTENTION. IMO, there is a possibility that they keenly follow the forum and make up stuff basis the knowledge shared by the members.

I was trying to read up on the engines of Seltos and found this article on the 1.4 TGDI engine. Going by specs, it seems that this very engine is coming to Seltos. (senior members can confirm, if its not)

Does any one has details on 1.5P and 1.5D engines? Are they downsized Hyundai 1.6 engines or all new engines built from scratch?

Link

Quote:
The 1.4 T-GDi is a 1.4-liter turbocharged and direct-injected four-cylinder gasoline engine. It is a member of the new Kappa engine family introduced in 2015 together with a 1.0L three-cylinder version – Kappa 1.0 T-GDi. This 1.4 turbo version debuted in the Hyundai i30 at Auto Expo in 2016 and already has become available in a wide range of cars: Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Veloster, KIA Ceed, KIA Cerato, and etc.
Quote:
The main features of this 1.4 turbo unit are direct injection and turbocharger. The new fuel system operates at pressures up to 200 bar (2,900 psi) and delivers fuel directly into cylinders using six-hole direct injectors. A single-scroll turbocharger is equipped with an electric wastegate actuator which improves low-end torque and part-load fuel economy.
Quote:
Hyundai Kia 1.4 T-GDi Engine Problems and Reliability
Although the engine is quite new, it seems that it has no serious problems and flaws. The only thing that can be distinguished is a loud noisy operation of the engine when it is not warm enough. But nevertheless, it should be understood that the turbocharged engine experiences increased loads and it needs better maintenance, high-quality engine oil, and premium gas.

The Kappa 1.4 T-GDi engine life expectancy is about 120,000-150,000 miles (200,000-250,000 km), which is quite normal for this kind of engine.
rahul_goyal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 18:07   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Seltos. No photos allowed.

HTK diesel and GTX+. Both manual.

The points below are from the GT as I did not spend time on the other car.

Fit and finish is very good. Uniform gaps, both in the interior and exterior.

Interior.

The 10.25 inch touch screen takes center stage and adds a lot of character to the interior. Worked well with minimal lag.

The plastics on the dash are hard and not soft touch.

The leather cladding above the passenger glove is a neat touch and looks classy. Hector has it there too.

The steering is fantastic though a little small for my liking. The finish is excellent and the volume and mode switch gears feels straight out of the more expensive Germans.

The seats look good , decent under-thigh support and are ventilated. Did not try this option as it still had plastic covers. The seats were too soft for my liking. Definitely not for people with back issues.

AC seems effective.

Bose seems ordinary at least on FM.

Found the mood lighting a bit gimmicky.

Center front armrest is leather clad but not adjustable. Not sure if it usable on the move.

Rear space is par for the course. Had about 2 inch knee room but my shin was touching the front seat. Reclining function is welcome addition for this class.

The sunroof is electrically retractable but the sun blind has to be moved physically. A pain for people with shoulder issues.

HUD is a welcome addition and you have a switch to turn it off if not needed.

I found the blind spot monitor to be the most useful feature.

The reverse camera image felt very average but did not realise, I should have checked if there was any protective sticker on the camera.

Exterior.

The knurled finish on the front grill is not to my taste. Looked over done and ugly in real world conditions. ( subjective), loved the diamond pattern on the blacked out portion. A good change from the regular honey comb pattern.

The front Leds look fabulous. The outer 2 lights are for low beam and the inner 2 are for high beam. The DRLs seem a little overdone with the extension till the center of the bonnet.

Indicators lights look classy.

Front doors felt a lot heavier than the rear. May be the weight or clever hinge adjustment. I felt this way because the rear doors felt extremely light.

Rear of the Seltos is a hit and miss. Subjective again, but almost plane Jane when compared to the front. The indicators at the rear are normal bulbs and not LED.

The bonnet felt heavy and the engine feels tiny in this compartment. Maybe designed to take a much larger engine elsewhere. The boot did feel heavy but I might just put that back on the struts. Cannot be certain at the point.

Has a full size spare steel wheel. Cargo space is again par for the course.

I am assuming a soft suspension set up as the Seltos sank quite a bit with two passengers at the rear.

The GT wheels are absolutely stunning and you get full wheel area cladding.

All in all the Seltos seems to have the perfect recipe to succeed in the Indian market.

Over now to driving impressions and the pricing.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 18:13   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Seltos resembles to XUV 500 from front, specially when viewed from side angle. It's only me or anybody else also thinks so?

Overall very nice package. Will eat lots of sales from Creta if priced in similar price range, which is anyway very likely to happen.

My personal opinion - It looks way better than Creta
Old 25th July 2019, 18:19   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Checked out the Seltos. No photos allowed.
Rear of the Seltos is a hit and miss. Subjective again, but almost plane Jane when compared to the front. The indicators at the rear are normal bulbs and not LED.
Sorry, I can't stop myself from saying this.

That's perhaps why they called it Badass by design !!

Last edited by pannags : 25th July 2019 at 18:32.
pannags is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 18:45   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Seltos resembles to XUV 500 from front, specially when viewed from side angle. It's only me or anybody else also thinks so?
I own an XUV500 currently and have booked the Seltos. I don’t think so. Attached is a side profile photo that my dealer sent today. DRLs in full action.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-edcffcc9f594407da0bec96a590f70ff.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2019 at 19:10. Reason: Typo + please avoid typing with unwanted dots like... this... Thanks.
MukundanMK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 19:00   #1242
BHPian

Test drive report from Korea. Fortunately the presenter speaks English! He keeps comparing it with the Venue and not with the Creta.

Dashboard is different compared to the Indian version, as are the engine options.

John is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 20:34   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Front doors felt a lot heavier than the rear. May be the weight or clever hinge adjustment. I felt this way because the rear doors felt extremely light.
Can you say how the rear doors actually felt? Is it like ecosport or like a Baleno? I would assume the build quality with the door feel itself.
Old 25th July 2019, 20:47   #1244
BHPian

Hey guys! Booked a 1.4 DCT few days back. I'd wait for a few more days for the official variant list but what irks me most so far is the dash. The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kia.jpg

I don't see a logical reason for the dash on the Indian model when this one looks so much better.
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiasmallsuvteaser.jpg
classic86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:16   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post

I don't see a logical reason for the dash on the Indian model when this one looks so much better.
Display (which looks like the dashboard has been cut and an extra wide tablet with glossy boarder is stuck) on the India version may be a deal breaker for me . It clearly looks like an afterthought and has been crudely executed without much design flair, while the rest of the dashboard looks great.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed