Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 11:58   #316
Senior - BHPian

@ ELF, I agree with you..though I may not buy it, we all should congratulate Mahindra for gettin a new car to India and making it an RHD! This will give Renault-Mahindra a foothold in the Asia Pacific region.
Old 9th April 2007, 13:30   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Please do remember that it's not marketed towards enthusiasts in India - it's mass market. That means first time buyers, taxi / fleet operators, retired folks, the government, & the aam junta.
i suspect that precisely is the problem. it may end up being perceived as expensive (read "not VFM") for the market its targeting, i.e. mass-market and non-enthusiast.
Old 9th April 2007, 13:51   #318
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is greedy.
Please accept that!
Old 9th April 2007, 14:13   #319
Senior - BHPian

so is everybody else. Please accept that :LOL

Logan I think has been targeted straight at the Indigo segment. ANd I feel there are various chances of Logan surviving.

1. Indigo is the largest selling car in its segment. A small share of such a segment still means considerable sales.
2. Gearshift and poor refinement are tata troubles. Hopefully renault wont have them.
3. Indigo has become a too common face and hece may give Logan a good start as a "something different" car.
4. Mahindra also has an extensive network reaching almost whole populace. (maybe not as wide as tata. can please somebody confirm this.)
5. WE are talking about Carlos Ghosn's strategy. Now how many of you still have any doubts?
Old 9th April 2007, 14:22   #320
BHPian

Many seem to agree that the Logan diesel is better than Indigo but not in the Ford Fiesta league. The pricing too, roughly, seems to be saying the same thing. If taxi operators do not buy as some are predicting, that would perhaps end up helping M&M

Both Tata and M&M (and Swift) have room to cut prices (perhaps more with Tata as their plants are old now and they have own steel) so this is just the opening move..we should wait and watch. Once stock accumulate price cut will be an automatic option.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:40   #321
BHPian

As far as I'm concerned, it is good to have new entrants in the market, as it normally forces other car companies to shape up.
Whether Logan suceeds or not, I don't know but I'm sure it will cause a positive reaction from the other manufacturers.
Old 9th April 2007, 15:05   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
If the opinions expressed in this thread are anything to go by, then Logan will be a fiasco. .... Hopefully, other launches planned during this year will not be so disappointing for their target audience.
Team-BHP is not a representative sample of the Indian car buying public. Otherwise the only cars on the roads would be VTECs, Balenos and Palios. Don't worry, it takes more than some opinions on a message board to decide whether the car will be a hit or not.
Old 9th April 2007, 15:06   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Assuming 1 INR = Euro 60 the total cost comes to INR 7,67,400.
How I wish this was true!
Old 9th April 2007, 15:24   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it is good to have new entrants in the market, as it normally forces other car companies to shape up.
Whether Logan suceeds or not, I don't know but I'm sure it will cause a positive reaction from the other manufacturers.
that is a point i agree with 100%. competetion in any form, shape or manner is always good, always benefits the end-consumers eventually.
Old 9th April 2007, 15:24   #325
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see why you guys are hoping that the Logan fails. There's no need to take it personally, & your levels of disappointment seem seriously misplaced.
Its not about hoping .. its just what expecting .. choice of words says hoping.. ( am I confusing you )

Quote:
If YOU don't like it, simply don't buy it. But don't hope it fails before it starts.
Its just that expectation of price w.r.t features is a failure for user. You spend around 6 lacs and you car does not have PW.

Obviously, The guys who will be buying the car won't be writing such comments.

Quote:
There's obviously been a tremendous effort from Mahindra to bring it to India, & it seems they've done their research well. Also remember that it's the first car effort from Mahindra.
Yes I agree. This is a nice and consumer friendly step.
Old 9th April 2007, 15:26   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIT
Assuming 1 INR = Euro 60 the total cost comes to INR 7,67,400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How I wish this was true!
LOL ...good one....most of us missed that i guess, reading it subconsciously in the correct way.

Last edited by hell_rider : 9th April 2007 at 15:28.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:01   #327
BHPian

Bad Bad Pricing M&M

Quote:
The car has basic suspension, basic
Bah.... I want this car to fail... Mahindra has dissapointed big time.
You can Add me to this list .. at 6+ i had expected

1) 70 + BHP ( it gives 65 )
2) Power Windows ( at least in front)
3) more goodies like seat belt warning .. or even air bags

What this price has done is ... made ( me at least ) Swift Vdi a better proposition ...

Any case i dont think M&M has that kind of brand / images as a quality consious company .. for which ppl will pay exta permium money ..

but what it will do it , it will make tata pull up there socks .......
Old 9th April 2007, 17:09   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see why you guys are hoping that the Logan fails. There's no need to take it personally, & your levels of disappointment seem seriously misplaced. If YOU don't like it, simply don't buy it. But don't hope it fails before it starts.

There's obviously been a tremendous effort from Mahindra to bring it to India, & it seems they've done their research well. Also remember that it's the first car effort from Mahindra.

The pricing may not be to everybody's liking, but then hopefully it'll strike a chord with the intended buyers of Tata Indigo & produce stiff competition, which can only make things better for the Indian consumer.

Nobody's driven one yet. Please do remember that it's not marketed towards enthusiasts in India - it's mass market. That means first time buyers, taxi / fleet operators, retired folks, the government, & the aam junta.

We may tom-tom the fact that we're 10,000+ members on this forum, & that there should be at least 100,000 enthusiasts all over India, but what percentage of the car-buying population do we constitute?

After taking a good look at it in the flesh, methinks the car will do well.

At least I hope it does.
The problem here is that all along Mahindra Renault has been touting logan being the best value for money car. The pricing announced is hardly value for money. It makes fiesta's and verna's look like a million bucks, atleast they weren't designed from grounds up to be "cheap", atleast they havent cringed on sound deadening, they have better suspension, they have better interiors, infact they will do everything better than the supposedly cheaper "cheap" car Logan, except may be the rear legroom.
Why should one buying a logan not spend a few thousands more and get a better car overall. The biggest dissapointment is that supposedly Indigo beater ( in price as was touted before the launch) has turned out to be Verna and Fiesta competitor with the logan being cheaper beacuse of obvious cost cutting.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:51   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The problem here is that all along Mahindra Renault has been touting logan being the best value for money car. The pricing announced is hardly value for money. It makes fiesta's and verna's look like a million bucks, atleast they weren't designed from grounds up to be "cheap", atleast they havent cringed on sound deadening, they have better suspension, they have better interiors, infact they will do everything better than the supposedly cheaper "cheap" car Logan, except may be the rear legroom.
Why should one buying a logan not spend a few thousands more and get a better car overall. The biggest dissapointment is that supposedly Indigo beater ( in price as was touted before the launch) has turned out to be Verna and Fiesta competitor with the logan being cheaper beacuse of obvious cost cutting.
Thats well said..

It lacks all of the features, and is still not able to price it well enough...

From the compay statements, everyone expected an Indigo and Swift killer... But, the pricing seems to make Indigo and Swift DDiS very attractive packages...
Old 9th April 2007, 22:05   #330
BHPian

i am sure that if we sitting here on this forum can discuss these differing scenarios and analyse, definitely, there must somebody at TATA who has been doing that as well.

It is obvious that TATA has been aware of the impending Logan launch, and would have prepared comprehensive what-if analyses with different permutations and combinations.

Additionally, we do know that their current DICOR is only offering about 70 bhp. But I think the general assumption is that TATA can easily take it up to 90 bhp, an assumption I tend to agree with. So its safe to say they already might well have the next comprehensive upgrade to the Indigo platform ready and waiting in the wings.

Just like us eager souls here, TATA too must be adopting a wait and watch policy and play it by ear based on the response the Logan receives. I am sure they must be having a couple of trumps up their sleeve.

We need to remember that the Indigo market is one TATA has created single-handedly. It never existed before the Indigo. Surely, they aren't going to sit back and let a supposedly "low-cost world car" price itself at a premium and take up their market.

I think it is a bit too early to talk about the Logan as an Indigo-beater. Not that it might not happen. Its just a little too early.

Many people felt the same about the Verna with respect to the Fiesta. But its turned out nowhere as overwhelming as expected or predicted.

What say guys ???

Last edited by hell_rider : 9th April 2007 at 22:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks