Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 17:49   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Then next year a new virus strain is named Timero and the Zika fiasco is revisited.
Old 9th September 2020, 18:15   #242
BHPian

Any info on the engine options. Is the rumored 1 lt turbo making a debut with this?
shashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:05   #243
Senior - BHPian

Tata HBX spotted in Pune

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-smartselect_20200930200415_instagram.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-smartselect_20200930200424_instagram.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFwCStUg...d=gho8xfz2x8ko
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:35   #244
BHPian

The front is strikingly Harrierish and the rear tail - lamps are similar to the Nexon. The have that Nexon vibe to them. I do have an intutition about micro- SUV's that they won't be much rear seat friendly. See what we have with C-SUV's like the EcoSport, Venue and Sonet. They aren't that rear seat friendly.
On the contrary XUV300 is one of those more spacious one's but then you lose on the boot front. Still let's see what Tata has in store for us.
Old 30th September 2020, 20:53   #245
BHPian

The car may be great but I am curious about the strategy here. Nexon, Altroz are both sub-10 lakh cars with decent build and features. This will be another one. Tata strategists may feel that Hyundai has Creta and Venue and hence they should replicate that strategy. But would it work for them? I mean, Nexon itself sells just 5000 units a month. Why not invest resources to make that 10k units, and the segment leader? Even if they price it competitively, the Hornbill and Nexon will have an overlap and it is likely to confuse a customer. Many confused customers will take the path of least resistance and go for something from Maruti or Hyundai.
Old 30th September 2020, 21:46   #246
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post

The car may be great but I am curious about the strategy here. Nexon, Altroz are both sub-10 lakh cars with decent build and features.

I mean, Nexon itself sells just 5000 units a month. Why not invest resources to make that 10k units, and the segment leader? Even if they price it competitively, the Hornbill and Nexon will have an overlap and it is likely to confuse a customer.

There is no confusion at all.

Nexon competes against other ~ 4m long compact SUVs, namely, Vitara Brezza, Venue, Sonet, EcoSport, XUV300, Urban Cruiser and WR-V.

This car is not a 4m compact SUV. It's a micro-SUV that will compete directly against the Ignis, KUV100 and Freestyle.

If Maruti Suzuki can sell both the Ignis & Vitara Brezza, Mahindra can sell both the KUV100 & XUV300 and Ford can sell both the Freestyle & EcoSport, and it does not confuse the customer one bit, then there is no reason why Tata should not sell both this Hornbill and Nexon.

Last edited by RSR : 30th September 2020 at 22:10.
RSR is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 00:08   #247
BHPian

I think this will be a success. Since its not a 4m SUV, it will be placed slightly below the Altroz.

I am assuming this will get the NA petrol engine from tiago, turbo petrol and diesel engine with FGT as in the Altroz.

With adequate boot space, people who cannot buy a nexon owing to its cost, but still can not settle on a hatch, will go for this.

If this had been launched in the summer, I would have booked this, instead of Altroz Diesel last week.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:34   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I think this will be a success. Since its not a 4m SUV, it will be placed slightly below the Altroz.
I think it is going to be average in terms of number units and that too when launched somewhere in near future. Nothing against TATA, they have churned out some wonderful products like Altroz, Hexa, Harrier, Nexon etc. but will take eternity to launch them after showing the concepts/ test cars.

As a TATA owner, I want this car to be a success and provide a lot more safety than the Tin Cans that delivers nothing more than mileage. But, knowing TATA and the trend of its launches, this vehicle is very far from launch.
Slushmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 23:27   #249
BHPian

What is the Tata HBX going to look like? Check out my rendering of it:
TheGearBox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 00:34   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
This seems to be the 1st production ready test vehicle of the HBX - all the lights, etc. are in place instead of the usual dummy stuff. Will TML prove us all wrong for once and go from concept to launch faster?

It could happen, as now this will be the 2nd product on the ALFA platform and they would have figured out a lot from testing the Altroz, if the power-train is going to remain unchanged then this could be quicker launch - which is one of the advantages of a modular platform.
Old 6th October 2020, 16:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Tata HBX could be called Timero upon launch, spied in production form

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-smartselect_20201006165355_lite.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-smartselect_20201006165402_lite.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-smartselect_20201006165409_lite.jpg

Source : Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 23:24   #252
Senior - BHPian

Despite being small in size, the car looks to have quite a good road presence. Tata seems to have worked out the "vehicle track-to-height" ratio quite well. Because it is based on the new platform, one can expect, I assume from Tata, segment best levels of crash protection too.
Give it a price band between Renault KWID and Maruti Ignis & it has every possibility to become TML's new blockbuster. Yes, it'll take away some sales from Tiago's but then it's better to keep the customer within one's family rather than the customer looking for some other brand.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:18   #253
BHPian

Looks nice! If priced around 5-5.25 lakhs, it could compete with the likes of Maruti Swift. Now that Maruti doesn't sell diesels anymore, Tata has the opportunity to sell in volumes.
Old 7th October 2020, 13:01   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Looks nice! If priced around 5-5.25 lakhs, it could compete with the likes of Maruti Swift. Now that Maruti doesn't sell diesels anymore, Tata has the opportunity to sell in volumes.

It is a petrol only model, 1.2 NA and may be in turbo variant.
Old 7th October 2020, 13:24   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
It is a petrol only model, 1.2 NA and may be in turbo variant.
Well it's based on the same platform as Altroz, so don't see a reason why TML wouldn't plonk the diesel mill in it.
ATRONIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks