Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 22:48   #151
BHPian

Re: Adventure friendly petrol hatchback but without Beep

If you can stretch your budget a bit, go for the Freestyle eyes closed. Recently my colleague got the Titanium variant (approx. 7.5 OTR, Durgapur) and I have extensively driven the car. The 3 cylinder engine works wonderfully and there is almost no vibrations that you feel in the cabin. Also it has all the bells and whistles that you may ask for. At 190mm ground clearance you can take the usual highway deviations and transverse through our 'kaccha' village road without any worry. Also their build quality is good and Ford claims their maintainance expenses to be lower than competition.
Given the huge numbers of Ford cars in India, be assured to get spare parts and service in years to come.
After all they have some brilliant engines and cars. People are still booking their cars.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 01:01   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
There are two simple ways to stop the BEEP
1. Disconnect the beeping buzzer
2.Remove the speed recognizing sensor
3.Put an ear plug in both your ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you aren't consistently above 120, you'll hardly notice with a half decent music system on. Been driving one for the last 13K kms that are mostly on highways the last 6 months.
Could be. Because I havent heard the beep for myself. Does your car already have the speed alert system?
And it is not annoying or irritating? Or you get used to it?
Old 27th May 2019, 12:05   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelogue View Post
Could be. Because I havent heard the beep for myself. Does your car already have the speed alert system?
Mine does have the speed alert system. And I barely notice it like once every 15 or 30 mins, so it's hardly an irritation for me, with over 80% of the mileage done on highways with speeds > 80. I've never needed to go beyond 120, since I get decent 55-75 kph average speeds without getting there.

The best equivalent sound is the Casio wristwatch hourly chime.

So I wouldn't reject a car just because it has a speed alert installed.

Last edited by narayans80 : 27th May 2019 at 12:07.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 16:59   #154
BHPian

Quote:

I test drove the Venue few days ago, the beep is quite loud and the 80kmph one, we could let it slide by. I was pushing the engine and I did hit 120kmph, the continuous beep is very annoying. It is pretty much the seat belt alarm except that it is continuous.
sweetvar26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:40   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Mine does have the speed alert system.
May I know, which car do you drive? It seems like different companies have different volume for the beep.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2019 at 13:58. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:03   #156
BHPian

Re: Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019

Nexon speed alert is pretty loud as well. Quite irritating and there is no way to reduce the sound
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:56   #157
Team-BHP Support

Has no one found a jugaad aftermarket to disable this yet? Anyone tried or has suggestions?
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 18:34   #158
BHPian

Has anyone experienced how the speed warning alert sounds on cars from the luxury segment? Here luxury segment is a flexible term as my question is mostly about non-domestic manufacturers.

Looking at the videos demonstrating these alerts, it seems that Maruti has reused the basic seat belt warning chime for these alerts. I'd guess that since the European cars have a much softer chime for seat belt and other warnings, it must be using the car audio system as the output. If true, it would make any attempt at bypassing the speed alert near impossible except at a software level.

I recall seeing a video review of the Mercedes G-wagon that demonstrated that the audible alert was already implemented in the car but not sure if other manufacturers are already compliant.

Old 18th June 2019, 18:50   #159
BHPian

The new Ford Endeavour still does not have this warning chime above 80 kmph. Haven't tried above 120 kmph yet.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 12:57   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
The new Ford Endeavour still does not have this warning chime above 80 kmph. Haven't tried above 120 kmph yet.
New Endeavour does not have this beep at any speed.
I checked the full spectrum and no issues

P.S. - I am not encouraging rash, dangerous and negligent driving.
Aniket6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:07   #161
BHPian

Did my first long drive in the Kodiaq L&K. It has an audible beep as well as warning message in the Virtual Cockpit when you hit 120 or exceed it. If you go below it, it gives a grace period within which, it will not chime again in case you accelerate to 120 or above again but if you don't, it will chime once again whenever you hit the mark again. I dont mind the visual alert but the beep is annoying especially when someone else is sleeping in the car and it wakes them. Luckily the beep isnt continuous but it is still pretty loud and is similar to the sound you get when the driver door is open and you try changing the gear or if you try turning the car off when it isnt in park

Last edited by sandeepsarma : 2nd July 2019 at 14:12.
sandeepsarma is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 02:50   #162

Quote:
Good Day Fellow Bhpians,
With the introduction of new standards and rules for automobiles in India, vehilcles are definetely becoming safer.
But there is one feature however, which I would not like to have in my next car and that is speed alert system.
As per this soon to be mandatory feature, the car will make a beep every minute once the car crosses 80 kmph.
Me and my family love to go on roadtrips, and their are plenty of highway stretches where one can ride safely above 80 kmph. But this beep will replace the happiness with headache.

My needs are simple and pretty common;
1. Safe, reliable, and comfortable for a small family.
2. The car will be ridden 50% highway, 30% city, and 20% in north & north-east India
3. Good after sales support, parts availability, and service network across India
4. Does not beep above 80 kmph

My budget is 6 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.
So, I am back! After barely achieving the Deadlines, at office and home, I finally got some time to do a little hunting!
Called up local Toyota, Ford and Mahindra dealers, and this is how I took test drive of all cars that are out of my budget

First came Toyota, as I was really interested in Etios Cross V because of its 1.5 ltr petrol engine and distinctive (ahem) looks. I was also expecting this to work in my favor, for getting good discount. Unfortunately, it has became a legend. The S.A. clearly said that this model will be avaialble as per order only and company has discouraged them from taking booking of this model. He then tried to sell me Glanza, Etios Platinum, and Etios Liva, with minimum or no discounts. I declined his suggestions and asked if he has one in the 'Used Cars' section, but he said no. Game Over.

Second was Ford, again I was interested in the Figo A.T. which has 1.5 ltr engine with 'torque convertor' transmission.
The dealer had a Figo A.T. for test drive but it was a 2017 model. 2017 model means DCT transmission and not TC. But I was still scheduled a test drive, so that I could atleast get a feel of the car. It went well. I was imperesed with engine and transmission. Shame, the DCT transmission had issues and it was a scandal, when Ford later admitted, that they knew about the problem [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...d-anyway.html] (Ford knew DCT transmission was flawed, but sold it anyway).
Now, I wanted to try the TC transmission, for which they provided a 2018 Ecosport. I liked that too [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...l#post4628524] (2019 Ford Figo Facelift : Official Review). Here after all communications happened on call or WhatsApp. I asked more info about Figo A.T. on service, parts availabilty and delivery time, and things went down hill. He said delivery could take around 3 months, and there is no discount on the 2019 Figo. But they had a 2018 Figo A.T., in their stockyard for sale. I went to take a look and was not happy to see that their stockyard was actually just a ground where cars stood in the open, all year long. I was still interested, since I wanted a good deal and both of the previous models worked fine. But the S.A. never took follow up, never called and rarely replied on WhatsApp. During 2 weeks of my talks with them, it was I who always called him, reminded him of TD or pestered him for answers. They assured me that 2018 Figo A.T. has TC transmission. But searched online and also asked fellow T-BHPians about this, and the result was, 2018 Figo A.T. did not have TC transmission. Didnt feel like inquiring for 2019 Figo A.T. because if they are lying and not interested in selling the A.T., then what will they do after, during service? Game Over.

Third was Mahindra. I called them as I really like TUV3OO. Although, way out of my budget, I still scheduled a TD on Sunday. I was blown away (more of it in TUV facelift thread). So I asked if they have any pre-facelift or even 2018 model available. But sadly no. All have been sold. Then I was asked, if I would like to TD Xuv300, and I said why not. It truly is a cheetah, but I still liked the TUV3OO more. Took the quotations, asked about discounts (half-heartedly), and came back home, making plans about how to make 10 lakhs asap . One thing, that I would like to highlight about TUV3OO, is that after 80 kmph, it just beeps once, and not continuously. I loved it.

So this is how my hunting ended, and I came back empty handed!!
Old 27th October 2019, 05:09   #163
BHPian

Reading about the electronic speed limiters and the audible beeps when you cross 80 kmph reminds me of a Marathi board on the Mumbai to Goa highway; "Manacha Brake, Uttam Brake." Translated roughly: Restraint on the mind is the best brake you have.
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:29   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Has anyone experienced how the speed warning alert sounds on cars from the luxury segment? Here luxury segment is a flexible term as my question is mostly about non-domestic manufacturers.
Experiencing this with my 530d! First of all, the beep BMW has chosen for these warnings is rather annoying - sounds something like a big bell in a refined package!

It goes off at 80 and is constant at 120. While the beep at 80 is bearable, what happens above 120 is torturous to the ears. It beeps continuously, and in about 30 seconds, is accompanied by another sharp sound that’s constant and more frequent than the regular beep. This will force you to back-off.

Thankfully, the beeps don’t suppress the volume of the music system. But you just can’t mask it with high volume - seems to have been programmed to rise with it; and the brilliant NVH levels ensure that you don’t have any assistance from road/tyre noise.

If anyone finds a fix for this, please do let me know

In meanwhile, I’m seriously considering resorting to the new AirPods pro (with active noise cancellation) - especially for expressway drives.

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2019 at 13:59. Reason: compacted quoted post
jassi123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 14:21   #165

Took my 2 month old Skoda Octavia for a long Mumbai - Goa drive last week. Overnight drive meant that it was a brilliant drive marred only by these moronic new speed alerts. The Octavia does a loud ting once the car breaches 80kmph and repeats the sound exactly every minute the car is above 80kmph. Like the others have said there is the repeated and continuous ting sound once over 120kmph. The biggest issue for me were the repeated every minute tings as on a long drive on open roads you tend to drive above 80kmph quite often and usually keep the car in cruise control above that speed. So the every minute alert gets excessive and irritating for passengers sleeping in the car. No one, as far as I read, has mentioned about this repeated sounds above 80kmph so I thought I’d mention it for new car buyers to test this out on the cars they are TD, because that I believe is exactly what the government regulations say needs to happen. It’s a stupid new rule trying to cover up for the implementation shortcomings of the traffic police IMO. Can’t wait for someone to find a solution as it does take away from what is a great driving experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks