Audi Q5 10 0.51%
Lexus ES 300h 29 1.48%
Voters: 1964. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 18:48   #31
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Voted for the Lexus ES. A reliable long term car that i can buy and pass on to my son a decade or more later.
Old 7th December 2018, 18:49   #32

Very surprised that the JTP twins are not part of the list! Would have gladly voted for the the Tiago JTP. Voted for the Marazzo.
rony.mandal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Has been said many times, will say the same again. Nothing was particularly enticing in the list above. None of the cars (arguably) brings something new to the mass market at least except for the Volvo XC40 in the premium segments.

I was going to vote for the Santro though I wasn't particularly impressed of it. What started off supposedly as a 4 cylinder hatchback which was looking to carry a unique legacy forward ended in a slightly overpriced package and looked as if it was leveraging the Santro brand name unnecessarily. I have to admit though that part quality and finish cannot be faulted at all, but 4 lakhs OTR for a car with no air con and 7 big ones for an A-segment hatch? No.

Voted for the Marazzo finally. The clean design language, good equipment list, sensible pricing and a usable third row are what I think the Marazzo excels at. Additionally, it does bring something new to the table in the form of a body on frame FWD car which offers the best of both worlds. (Rugged+easy to drive). A 4 star safety rating seals it for me.

In the premium segments, it has to be the Volvo XC-40. While the other cars in the segment always make you feel that you have only paid for the badge, the XC-40 comes across as a proper premium (compact) SUV and not a stripped down feature starved option that customers at the lower end of the premium market are forced to pay for. Engine tuning and miniscule service network aside, I think it has lent a fresh new perspective to the segment it competes in.

With the likes of the Harrier and several other interesting products lined up for 2019, here's to hoping that I face a lot more difficulty choosing the COTY next year.

Cheers,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:51   #34
BHPian

Why is Ford Freestyle not in this list?
It was launched in 2018 too. It brought Traction control system, Electronic stability control, hill launch assist in a sub 10 lakh car. It has 6 airbags, an above average GC of 190mm and the driver's delight 1.5 litre Ford TDCi engine.

Kindly add Ford Freestyle to the list of contestants for the poll.
Arwin07 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:55   #35
BHPian

Well it was tough to decide between Marazzo and Amaze. Recently drove Amaze diesel CVT, really liked the way it drove. It might not have all fancy bells and whistles like few cars out here who possess lathargic engine. At a same time amaze is packed with an amazing engine + gearbox combo paired with that SUVish flat bonnet view from cabin. And at the end, we buy car for it's engine, gearbox and dynamics. amaze diesel CVT simply gets all that right with all essential features for creature comfort. The only thing I missed was cruise control on AT.

My vote for Honda Amaze
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quite a dry year indeed. Wish we had the NOTA option too! In its absence, I would prefer not to vote.

That said, the Honda Amaze and Mahindra Marazzo struck almost the right chords, but have failed to take the market by storm. The CRV and Yaris have been the two biggest disappointments - failing to capitalize on the expectations.

Disclaimer: My opinion, specially regarding the aforementioned cars, is based on secondary knowledge. I have not driven any of them.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Seeing the title I was absolutely sure on selecting JTP twins but in their absence it's between Yaris (but grossly overpriced)and Marazzo for me.
Same here. But probably they were out of reckoning because they are special/sports editions of existing cars.

It will get really interesting next year - with Harrier, Kia CSUV, MG SUV, 45X and S201 thrown in the mix.
Old 7th December 2018, 20:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Amaze. Diesel+CVT properly implemented even if a bit late.

Hoping for a 4 star rated car and a top end model soon.

None of the entrants were exciting though.
Old 7th December 2018, 20:20   #39
BHPian

Ford freestyle should be considered a new model and be made a part of the list. Among the available options, there were very few good options to choose from :
- Santro could not be my pick as it failed to provide dual airbags and abs standard. It's about time, please realise it Hyundai.
-Marazzo should have had a more powerful engine. Launch of new ertiga with a 1.5 ltr diesel engine is also around the corner.

Considering the available options, Volvo XC40 would be my pick for its great safety rating, powerful engine and futuristic cabin ambience.

Last edited by gatsby_great : 7th December 2018 at 20:22.
Old 7th December 2018, 20:25   #40
BHPian

I'd vote for Tata Nexon, but I don't see it in the list.
Old 7th December 2018, 20:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018

For me it is between the XC40 and the Marazzo.

Good space,practical cabin, 4* safety rating, good looks( not over done by Mahindra standards), decent engine and perfect pricing.

Just wish it had an automatic. The Marazzo is likely to touch more lives than the XC 40 will, it is my Team BHP car of the year.

@GTO and team, cars that do not comply to atleast a 3* safety rating should not even make it to our poll.I personally think that this is the bare minimum requirement even to run a budget car around the city.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 7th December 2018 at 20:39.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 20:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Would have liked to have voted for the XC40 since I really like the design and the cool suave air that modern Volvos carry these days. But I am not so sure I'd buy one If I was shopping in the segment. It feels more like an urban SUV, one which could do with a nice petrol engine or even a hybrid. Diesel only is a bummer.

Among other cars, the only one that seems to be COTY material is the Marazzo. M&M seems to have put in a good attempt to fill up a void in their portfolio and looks like the market has lapped it up. Also helps that it looks pretty good from most angles unlike some recent monstrosities from M&M.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th December 2018 at 20:59.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 20:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Amaze.

The diesel CVT is a package that is a 100% practical, VFM, versatile workhorse. IMHO the true replacement for the Maruti 800; for an average middle class family, it's the only car they'd ever need. Besides, the following points also make it an ideal choice for a second or third car.
- Honda brand: value, reliability, reputation, resale value and status
- 3-box sedan that's right in size with a neutral design
- frugal diesel with CVT
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 20:59   #44
AYP
Senior - BHPian

This has been quite a drab year for car launches. Yes, new cars have been launched but compared to the past few years, the launches have been few and not so significant. Among the options listed, I was a bit confused between the Santro and the Swift but finally decided to vote for the Swift just for the looks and the 1.2 petrol unit. Now that may not sound like much of a reason to vote but I can't really think of another reason to select any of the other cars mentioned in the list.
Old 7th December 2018, 20:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Amaze it is for me. Does everything right with hardly a few negatives. Probably the best engine gearbox, especially the diesel CVT, launch of the year. Spacious, reliable, practical, safe styling and importantly priced well too.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks