Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 15:12   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
When i test drove Venue DCT, it was showing 6.9 kmpl driven for 1700 kms in Bangalore Venue claims 18kmpl. So i guess your prediction is correct..
There's always a massive difference between whats ARAI claimed and the actual figure.

Given the Hector's size and a turbo petrol mated to DCT, I wont expect it giving more than 10 or max 12kpl in real life city bumper to bumper driving conditions.
Old 3rd July 2019, 15:48   #1142
BHPian

Despite the shortcomings that a Petrol AT offers, especially FE the sheer demand of nearly a full-size petrol DCT SUV is completely unprecedented, something that MG also failed to read with their extensive market-study.

They would have thought that in a 'kitna deti hai' country people may still not go as hard after a petrol auto and therefore made do with a launch which due to many reasons (homologation, etc) they were fine to go slow/delay slightly the DCT. Similar was the case with the pre-delivery first batch that they decided, which has resulted in a long wait for the DCT.

I can stand testament to this, as I had booked the car (Sharp - silver/grey) within hours of bookings being open and have now been given an estimate of mid-august delivery To counter this I have even tried and managed to speak with MG & Dealer, but afraid no change right now. I do hope though they still manage to surprise me

I am also very keen to try and determine the FE for Petrol DCT. Contrary to someone a few posts below, MG did bring the car for a home TD but, I forgot to reset the trip. I have requested now for another night Home TD, where I have a list of things that I want to try/test which I missed the first time in the excitement. So will soon update on the same.

Last edited by manson : 3rd July 2019 at 16:34. Reason: Typo.
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:11   #1143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
There's always a massive difference between whats ARAI claimed and the actual figure.

Given the Hector's size and a turbo petrol mated to DCT, I wont expect it giving more than 10 or max 12kpl in real life city bumper to bumper driving conditions.
I would not expect the Hector 1.4 DCT to give a mileage of more than 6.5-7.5 Kmpl in city use and maybe an 8.5 kmpl in mixed use. The Jeep Compass also in Petrol Automatic (which a friend of mine has) guise gives a mileage of 7 kmpl in city use and the engine in that is also similar and I guess the kerb weight of the Hector would be in the same ballpark. I am also part of the Jeep Delhi NCR group and there are 40+ Petrol Automatic owners who are always crying about the low mileage of 6.5-7.5 which they get! Thankfully us Diesel Jeep Compass owners are better off with around 13.5 kmpl)

Petrol Automatics have a reputation for being low mileage. I remember my own Honda Civic 1.8 AT which used to give a mileage of 6.6kmpl ! (the Civic was eventually replaced by the Laura MT Diesel, which consistently gives a mileage of 17-18kmpl in mixed use and as high as even 25 on Highways)

I wish that the new car companies offer some good Diesel AT combo, which can deliver real world mileage of 15+ Kmpl. There are a lot of good engines available with Hyundai , Skoda and VW which already deliver this, but why cant they plonk the same in a mini SUV form factor and offer it here!

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd July 2019 at 18:13.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:21   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I would not expect the Hector 1.4 DCT to give a mileage of more than 6.5-7.5 Kmpl in city use and maybe an 8.5 kmpl in mixed use.
Well if this is the case then I wouldnt be wrong in expecting too many CNG conversions or used Hector DCTs in the market within a year or two of launch.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th July 2019 at 06:11. Reason: Trimmed quoted post, as the original post is the one right above.
Old 3rd July 2019, 20:33   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Is this confirmed? If they have 5 free services, that would mean no labor charges for the 1 month inspection and 4 annual services. That is quite good.
Yes, as far as the advisor at Gurgaon MG was aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvee View Post
Took a test drive of the Petrol DCT. Went to Gurgaon MGF showroom right in the morning today, but had to wait for a while for the TD. Wait time is quite understandable, given the popularity. Request fellow TBHPians to call and book for TD before proceeding to the showrooms.
So the 4.9 kmpl that I saw has been confirmed by others as well. In reality, anything around 9-10 should be acceptable in city runs and 13-14 in highway runs.

Any thoughts?

Note from Support:

- Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread
- Quoting an entire large post hampers readability.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd July 2019 at 22:33. Reason: Note Inline
Old 3rd July 2019, 21:43   #1146
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to take a test drive on Monday at the JP Nagar showroom. Since I went in the afternoon on a weekday, getting the test drive was effortless and I had to wait hardly 10 minutes. Did a test drive of the Petrol DCT first and then the Diesel. The Diesel felt the better of the two in terms of the power delivery for a vehicle of this size.

I loved the gizmos, especially the 360 degree camera. It proved to be very useful as I had to negotiate some inching traffic during the test drive. Drove over speed breakers and felt the suspension handled it well.

Overall feels like a good vehicle for the price. As everyone has called out the metal guage used is thick and the doors need an effort due to the thick build quality. Reminded me of the XUV 500 in this aspect.

The Vehicle is good looking from most angles. I saw it in Red, White and Grey and all colors looked good with Red looking the best in my view.

The Audio Playback from the Head Unit is good. The demo was provided of the voice control features but as most people have already spoken about it I wont elaborate much on it. I guess these type of voice commands will soon become standard even in lower segments.

Contrary to what some people have said, the Sales guy did not have a brochure and he said he will email me the details.

MG Hector - A Pictorial

Here is a pictorial for those who have not yet had a chance to visit a showroom:

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-01.-hector-parked.jpg
Hector Parked near the Showroom

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-02.-showroom.jpg
View of the Showroom - Not too big

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-3.-front-view.jpg
Front View of the Hector

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-04.-grille-upclose.jpg
Front Grille

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-05.-rear-view.jpg
Rear View - Not very popular going by the comments here

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-6.-alloy-wheel.jpg
Alloy Wheels

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-7.-goodyear-tires.jpg
Good Year Tires
All variants present in the showroom uniformly had GoodYear - so everyone gets same tires but unfortunately Good Year.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-8.-small-wheel.jpg
Wheel looks very small for the Vehicle Size

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-9.-diesel-engine.jpg
Diesel Engine Bay View

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-10.-petrol-engine-bay.jpg
Petrol Engine Bay View

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-11.-driver-bay.jpg
Driver Bay

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-12.-instrument-cluster.jpg
Instrument Cluster

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-13.-tpms-hu.jpg
TPMS Shown in Head Unit

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-14.-video-playback.jpg
Video Playback

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-15.-comfortable-rear-seats.jpg
Heavenly Rear Seats

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-15b-rear-seats.jpg
Huge Rear Seats - one more view

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-16.-steering-wheel.jpg
Steering Wheel

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-17.-headlights.jpg
Hector Headlights

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-18.-door-handle.jpg
Door Handle

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-19.-arm-rest-storage.jpg
Storage Space under arm rest

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-20.-tiny-bottle-holders.jpg
Bottle Holder Space seems too small

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-21.-keys.jpg
The Keys

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-22.-smart-hybrid-badging.jpg
Smart Hybrid Badging

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-23.-boot-space.jpg
View of the Boot Space

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-24.-busy-buttons.jpg
Headlight Adjustments & Mirror Adjustments

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-25.-usb-socket.jpg
USB Socket etc.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-26-battery-storage.jpg
Battery Stored under Passenger Seat

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-27.-side-view.jpg
Side View

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-28.-white-color-hector.jpg
White Hector

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-29.-grey-color.jpg
Grey Color

Would I buy? - No I am not in the market for a new car currently and wont be until a decent Hybrid appears - cannot bear to live with a Petrol DCT with 6-7 kpl and since the Diesels are going away does not make sense to invest 20 grand on one. Just my view as my current ride is serving me extremely well

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 3rd July 2019 at 21:50.
vsrivatsa is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 03:45   #1147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Attachment 1889827
Good Year Tires
l[/i]
I was given to understand that top end variants will come with Continental MC5 tyres
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 07:27   #1148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was given to understand that top end variants will come with Continental MC5 tyres
Just for my understanding . Is ‘Goodyear’ not good. And is Continental better. Also when do you think the official Team bhp Review will be out
Old 4th July 2019, 09:36   #1149
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven 2 petrol AT cars quite extensively now, the first being a humble i10 AT which came with a 4 speed TC unit and my current Ecosport which comes with the DCT box. Both the cars have never managed to return more then 9-10 kmpl in city traffic and 13-14 kmpl on the highways, if driven sedately. More you floor the peddle, lesser is the FE. And these are lighter cars with smaller engines.

I would be surprised if the Hector returns anything over 6-7 kmpl in the city traffic and can go one step further in saying that it would be foolish to expect such a thing. Petrol and AT translates to single digit FE numbers unless you are driving in traffic free conditions. That is the reason why diesel has always been the top choice for these large beasts.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:28   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Civic was eventually replaced by the Laura MT Diesel, which consistently gives a mileage of 17-18kmpl in mixed use and as high as even 25 on Highways
I can relate to this totally, my iDTEC Honda City averages around the same and even in bumper to bumper Bangalore Traffic keeps the FE in the 17 kpl range. Crossing the 20 kpl mark on highway drives is typical.

Quote:
I wish that the new car companies offer some good Diesel AT combo, which can deliver real world mileage of 15+ Kmpl. There are a lot of good engines available with Hyundai , Skoda and VW which already deliver this, but why cant they plonk the same in a mini SUV form factor and offer it here!
I would agree but I am worried about all the confusion created by BS VI. It would be wise to wait till Apr 2021 or so before making big investments on Diesel again. (My primary car has always been Diesel till date).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavan1605 View Post
Just for my understanding . Is ‘Goodyear’ not good. And is Continental better. Also when do you think the official Team bhp Review will be out
In general, based on recommendations I have seen on this forum as well as my own experience Michelins are the best (as long as the roads are good) and provide the best ride comfort. Next in line are the Bridgestones (Not Ecopia variant which is low end) and the 3rd position is the value for money Yokohoma tires. Goodyears are ranked very low.

I have seen mixed reviews on Continental - some saying they are as good as Michelins and some reports saying they wear out too soon. When I bought my last car it came with MRF ZVTVs and I changed the tires on the day of delivery to Michelin XM2s and they have clocked close to 54,000 kms and I will be replacing these with Michelin Primacy 4STs in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would be surprised if the Hector returns anything over 6-7 kmpl in the city traffic and can go one step further in saying that it would be foolish to expect such a thing.
Agree, the Sales guys have to do their job - they cannot sell quoting an honest single digit figure and will quote optimistic figures.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:46   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I would agree but I am worried about all the confusion created by BS VI. It would be wise to wait till Apr 2021 or so before making big investments on Diesel again. (My primary car has always been Diesel till date).
The BS6 Norms come into force from Apr 2020 and most car manufacturers would start selling only BS6 cars from Jan 2020 onwards (they may sell both models concurrently till Mar 2020 to clear stocks of the BS4 versions though), but post Apr 2020 they will be able to sell only BS6 Models.
I am also on the same boat as you and am waiting for a Diesel Automatic Bs6 version. I was hopeful of the Hector, but there is no Diesel Auto version! Right now I am hoping that Kia will have a fairly loaded Diesel Auto Bs6 version.
The Thrill of the high torque which a Diesel engine gives is rarely matched by a converntional petrol engine and though Turbo petrols are now reaching close to it in terms of torque levels, the mileage is badly sacrificed. Diesel somehow still offers good levels of torque while maintaining the mileage at respectable levels.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 13:08   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

BS6-compliant MG Hector to be introduced in January 2020

Hector’s entire powertrain line-up is only BS4-compliant at the time of launch.

Quote:
Introduction of the cleaner engines in the SUV next year will also be accompanied by a hike in prices.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2019 at 13:10.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:49   #1153
BHPian

MG Hector wait period goes up to 7 months??!!! Wow!
Old 4th July 2019, 17:12   #1154
BHPian

Most likely the waiting period is due to production constraints and supply issues. The article even says a maximum of 2000 cars will be made every month. So if they have 13000 orders, then if you divide that by 2000, it will be 6.5 months.

And most of the bookings are for the petrol automatic, but I am not sure the buyers are aware of the real world fuel efficiency of these cars, if not, we will have large number of these in the used car market.
They should launch the diesel automatic immediately before the initial euphoria dies.
Old 4th July 2019, 17:37   #1155
BANNED

Got a chance of driving the Hector petrol and diesel today and I am not impressed. I mean, I am unable to figure out what is better in this vehicle compared to a Creta, other than some party tricks like the panoramic sunroof, XXL size screen and the voice commands?

In fact, I am not at all impressed with the hybrid petrol, the low end is painful IMO and is by no means a car for tight city traffic. Heck, stopping it on an incline and making it move again (It has hill hold BTW) was not effortless by any stretch of imagination. Cabin length is fine, width is not.

Front doors are not heavy, they are excessively heavy for a comfortable ingress and egress; and I am skeptical that the door itself is not as heavy as it feels, probably they played smartly with hinges.

Either get petrol DCT or get the diesel. If anyone asks me to put my money on something in this segment. I would any day put 3 lakh lesser and get a Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
9-10 kmpl in city traffic and 13-14 kmpl on the highways, if driven sedately
I second you sirji, be it the petrol AT versions of either of the Creta, Ecosport or BR-V; none delivers over 10 kpl even on highways if driven with a heavy foot.

What actually surprised me was Innova Crysta though, when the 2.7l petrol AT delivered me around 11 kpl overall; I was cursing these small blocks who love running on a rich AFR
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks