re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

A glimpse of the Mini-SUV in this teaser,

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:17   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am looking at a small petrol automatic car to drive to office. I have shortlisted Alto and Kwid. Not sure if I need to wait for this ! If only one had a CVT :(
For a Small petrol Automatic CVT car, I think upcoming CVT variant of Datsun GO is your only hope. Even the engine of that car is best among the car of it's segment.
Highh5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 10:38   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Presso reaches dealerships ahead of its launch,

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispressdealerlaunchvideoreview1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th September 2019 at 10:56.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:40   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Maruti has chosen an apt name for this new launch.

Just like your morning dose of coffee snaps you out of your slumber and makes you fresh for the day, looking at this awful ugly design in your garage every morning will slap you awake and make you realize you should have saved up for another few months and bought the Ignis instead.

But as much as I hate to admit it, launching this car at this time is a smart move by Maruti. If and when it does fail, the esteemed RC Bhargava already has a list of excuses a mile long to fall back on.

It will also send all the Maruti designers who pushed for this to get approved back to the drawing board to rework the next round of stickered editions of all their other products.
neil.jericho is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:49   #215
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this car looks like my childhood drawing of car!

On one hand, we have Hyundai/ Kia / Tata who make sure their end products resemble the concepts very closely, and on the other hand, there is Maruti who shows you a concept car that is exact opposite of what to expect from the final product.

I hope their next concepts in 2020 Auto expo (if any) will be as ugly as possible, hoping that the final product will be opposite of that.

Varun Dhawan is really diminishing his value by advertising such toy cars.

Last edited by ani_meher : 24th September 2019 at 11:50.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:55   #216
Senior - BHPian

It’s high time the government made some minimum standards for a safe car design in terms of ergonomics. This “adjustment” mentality is what has got us here. This car should not be street legal as a passenger “car”. I’d say something like the Ignis / Santro should be the minimum size requirement.

PS: I have owned a Nano and I am not sure I can look back too fondly at that vehicle.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:10   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
It’s high time the government made some minimum standards for a safe car design in terms of ergonomics. This “adjustment” mentality is what has got us here. This car should not be street legal as a passenger “car”. I’d say something like the Ignis / Santro should be the minimum size requirement.
Have you seen the ergonomics of this car to label it as 'unsafe'?

Let us await till unveil of the car and see for ourselves at the respective showrooms

Regarding safety it is expected to be approved as per the BNVSAP norms that are followed.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:31   #218
Senior - BHPian

Most cars that are being launched today are coming with a block head design. Amaze has one, this one as well.

Could be that the design is suited to confirming to the BNCAP requirements. I wonder.

It looks ugly but if it serves the purpose, then what can we say?

Maruti provides good sized tires in its premium offerings like Ciaz, Baleno etc. Wish they could do better here with the tire width.
Old 24th September 2019, 12:42   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S-Presso reaches dealerships ahead of its launch,..
It does look quirky, I am reminded of the vintage Fiat 500, not in terms design but the phenomenon it was. The first time you see the 500 in action, among other normal cars, it definitely feels awkward, but it soon grown on you. The trick is to see it as a one person vehicle, not a family car - a safer alternative to a two wheeler with loads of flair, and convenience of a small car. Nano could've been that, but they designed and marketed it as a cheap family car. The S-presso looks smaller than it actually is, thanks to the larger wheels, but it does have that quirky flair of a 500. I would certainly prefer this, over a two wheeler atleast, if it goes on to be a vehicle of style. But knowing Maruti Suzuki, the only phenomenon they care is topping the sales charts two months from now, which most certainly it will.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:13   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The S-presso looks smaller than it actually is, thanks to the larger wheels, but it does have that quirky flair of a 500.
I completely agree with you.
At this point, I certainly cannot term the S-Presso as ugly. I feel the spy pictures usually reveal only half the story. It is a quirky looking thing for sure, but since when has quirky become ugly? When the entire country was hating the Ritz and is hating the Ignis's designs, I for one, love them. I think they are some of the coolest looking cars to come out of the conservative Maruti stable.
The S-Presso might go on to become a cool city-slicker if people give it a chance. The problem arises when you start treating this as a do it all kind of a car (highway driving, luggage mover, people mover etc. etc.)

Quote:
But knowing Maruti Suzuki, the only phenomenon they care is topping the sales charts two months from now, which most certainly it will.
And this is exactly the reason why I would probably never buy a Maruti. Design, power, luxury, value be damned, I do not like the way they think they 'know it all' about what an average Indian customer wants. I understand that no automobile manufacturer is a saint but I truly believe that at Maruti, a "lot" goes on behind closed doors with the sole intention being capitalizing market share and that in my view, makes them an unethical company.

PS: No offense meant to anyone, these are purely my views.
Porschefire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:21   #221
BHPian

Varun Dhawan always get a chance to advertise quirky cars. Earlier he was promoting KUV100 now it is S-Presso. Both cars feel the children of same designer father.
Old 24th September 2019, 14:14   #222
BHPian

Is it just me or does it remind anyone of the Premier Rio from some angles ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=prem...hVRgv_1m5Gq8M:
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 14:54   #223
BHPian

From Facebook.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spresso.jpg

Last edited by arungeorge : 24th September 2019 at 14:56.
arungeorge is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:56   #224
Senior - BHPian

Is it some sort of unwritten mandate that all cheap cars need to look bad as well ! Almost feels like they are purposefully made to look bad just for higher models to look good !
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:56   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

So Maruti was waiting for Bajaj to do all the hard work in getting government approval for sale of QUADRICYCLES! Maruti can now just start selling this one. It will capture the market of the Bajaj Qute In a matter of 12 months! They were never competing with the KWID! We got it wrong. Target was the QUTE!

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th September 2019 at 15:57.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks